Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Feb 6, 2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a

Protection for iPhone

Hello, I'm trying to decide what type of protection is to use with my iPhone 4S. Case is out of the question, I'll never put a hard case around it.

I was planning on going naked but my friends insisted I should put at least a front and back invisible shield. Does the back plate scratch easily when used without a protector?

If yes, what is the best protective film? Thanks for any advice.
Faux Carnival is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
JMies419
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JMies419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Carnival View Post
Hello, I'm trying to decide what type of protection is to use with my iPhone 4S. Case is out of the question, I'll never put a hard case around it.

I was planning on going naked but my friends insisted I should put at least a front and back invisible shield. Does the back plate scratch easily when used without a protector?

If yes, what is the best protective film? Thanks for any advice.
I would at least try to use front/back screen protectors. I am using Power Support Crystal protectors and they work great.
JMies419 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:24 AM   #3
zoundblaster
macrumors newbie

Before you buy the case, you better check out is it the case are for iPhone 4 only or the iphone 4s. Based on the appearance even they look similar but its completely two different phone as well.

zoundblaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundblaster View Post
Before you buy the case, you better check out is it the case are for iPhone 4 only or the iphone 4s. Based on the appearance even they look similar but its completely two different phone as well.

Read the op , he said a case is out of the question
Arnezie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Boston Rhett
macrumors regular

The glass is pretty scratch resistant, but I'm a very "just in case" person and started looking into cases and screen protectors before I even had a phone. (And now I can't stop - bona fide case-a-holic haha )

For screen protectors, Power Support and SGP are my favorite. A little on the pricier side, but they're quality. Their crystal versions are perfect with the retina display. Right now I have the PS anti-glare on my phone, which degrades clarity ~5%, but I prefer that to fingerprints.

You might also want to look into protection for the antenna band, as I've found it's pretty prone to scuff marks. The Lucky Labs sells vinyl strips designed to lay over the band, which protects from scratches and also helps with the "death grip" issue. They come in a ton of different colors as well. They also have back skins that you can use instead of a back screen protector.
Boston Rhett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:17 AM   #6
zoundblaster
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnezie View Post
Read the op , he said a case is out of the question
Oh..sorry. .

Why don't just get some cheap one on ebay.
zoundblaster is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Arnezie
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoundblaster View Post
Oh..sorry. .

Why don't just get some cheap one on ebay.
Great contribution , 498 more comments like that one and you get your very own avatar
Arnezie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
VandyChem2009
Banned

Seriously do you not have anything better to do? I say go for the SGP Ultra Crystal EX. It comes with two sets of front and back protection and it has guards for the metal band. All that for 24 bucks on Amazon.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:43 PM   #9
daddyd302
macrumors member

I got IS on the front and back. It's ok, I'm not really a fan of it. Since it's usually in my pocket along with my keys and changes, I need good protection.

I also have the Apple bumper, it still feels nake even with the bumper on. It's only on until my Electron bumper gets here. It'll be my backup once the Electron gets here. I rather be safe the sorry, you can drop your phone at any time.

Last edited by daddyd302; Feb 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
daddyd302 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 01:57 AM   #10
anirudh
macrumors 6502

I really wanted to go caseless too, but the glass seems just too fragile to me. It seems like even the slightest bump might break it But the best way would be a Glas.t screen protector, Lucky Labs Wrap and maybe a titanium or metal back plate IMO.
anirudh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 03:12 AM   #11
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a

I think I'll go completely naked guys. Thanks for input. As far as I'm concerned, all front films distort the display. That's the last thing I want. And for the back plate, I know that the replacement is $29 at the Apple Store. Almost the same price with shields.
Faux Carnival is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:27 AM   #12
joshmacbosh
macrumors member

I've been thinking for ages about going completely naked but I'm too scared. I just hate scratches. I don't like the screen protectors cause they always look so messy and distort the display so I was thinking about just putting one on the back since that's all that could possibly get scratched in my day to day use of the phone. At least then it would look and "feel" naked without actually being naked! Who makes the best ones these days? I haven't used a screen protector since 2007/08!
joshmacbosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 06:32 AM   #13
TjeuV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmacbosh View Post
I've been thinking for ages about going completely naked but I'm too scared. I just hate scratches. I don't like the screen protectors cause they always look so messy and distort the display so I was thinking about just putting one on the back since that's all that could possibly get scratched in my day to day use of the phone. At least then it would look and "feel" naked without actually being naked! Who makes the best ones these days? I haven't used a screen protector since 2007/08!
I'm always going with the zagg invisible shield. Offers great protection and gives the best experience using your phone.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 07:09 AM   #14
anirudh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Carnival View Post
I think I'll go completely naked guys. Thanks for input. As far as I'm concerned, all front films distort the display. That's the last thing I want. And for the back plate, I know that the replacement is $29 at the Apple Store. Almost the same price with shields.
Agree with you on the back plate, but check out the Glas.t for the screen. Its a screen protector made of glass, so no distortion or degradation of display.
anirudh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories