Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Block
macrumors 6502a

$45 Unlimited Talk, Text, Data on Straight Talk (AT&T MVNO)?

Has anybody tried using Straight Talk for their iPhone? From reading around it looks like they use AT&T's postpaid network. I read that they will work with any AT&T locked phone, including the AT&T locked iPhone, because they are supposedly an AT&T MVNO. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.straighttalksim.com/

Last edited by Block; Feb 4, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Block is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
apunkrockmonk
macrumors 6502a

Search the forum. I've heard of people doing it but I've never tried it personally.
Leviathan i7-3770 @ 3.9GHz|16GB|10TB HDD|ESXi 10.10 Server
apunkrockmonk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:12 PM   #3
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

i'm interested as well. it seems cheap but their website gives little detail.

is it 3G or 2G data?
what are the international rates? they say you can sign up for international plans however they don't give you the prices before you sign up.

it say's only at walmart. does that mean it's a walmart subsidiary?
andiwm2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
antman2295
macrumors 6502

From what I understand Straight talk uses T-Mobiles network. Thats why its so cheap, People I know have coverage like T-Mobile in my area (which is bad) rather than a strong fast signal like At&t (which has great coverage where I live)

Edit: But while looking at their website, voice coverage seems to match At&t's map. So it may be possible.
antman2295 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Block
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman2295 View Post
From what I understand Straight talk uses T-Mobiles network. Thats why its so cheap, People I know have coverage like T-Mobile in my area (which is bad) rather than a strong fast signal like At&t (which has great coverage where I live)

Edit: But while looking at their website, voice coverage seems to match At&t's map. So it may be possible.
From what I understand and read, which network you use depends on which phone you bring over.
Block is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:51 PM   #6
dickdaney
macrumors regular

Can't use mms on straight talk without a jailbreak. Here's something I found on how to make the AT&T iPhone work. This is from 2010.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...o-make-it-work!
dickdaney is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:51 PM   #7
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

you can use straighttalk but it appears to be a big pain as you can't just get a sim and use it with your iphone. You have to get a certain smartphone and use that sim for it to work. Requires a little too much money upfront IMO. I use Red Pocket and have used H2O which both run on AT&T as well so you don't have to be unlocked. I pay $59.99/month for unlimited talk/text/2gb data. Works nice and u aren't charged any tax either.....

you can get h2o sims at bestbuy and i got my red pocket sim on amazon for $2.89...use a sim cutter and you're good to go.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:36 AM   #8
Block
macrumors 6502a

The website seems to imply that the plan is BYOD, so I don't think there should be a need to use some loophole or buy any additional smartphones.

Last edited by Block; Feb 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Block is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 02:17 AM   #9
ninjaw95
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
Has anybody tried using Straight Talk for their iPhone? From reading around it looks like they use AT&T's postpaid network. I read that they will work with any AT&T locked phone, including the AT&T locked iPhone, because they are supposedly an AT&T MVNO. Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.straighttalksim.com/
ye it works, even get 3G service too
ninjaw95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 03:52 AM   #10
unlimitedx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
you can use straighttalk but it appears to be a big pain as you can't just get a sim and use it with your iphone. You have to get a certain smartphone and use that sim for it to work. Requires a little too much money upfront IMO. I use Red Pocket and have used H2O which both run on AT&T as well so you don't have to be unlocked. I pay $59.99/month for unlimited talk/text/2gb data. Works nice and u aren't charged any tax either.....

you can get h2o sims at bestbuy and i got my red pocket sim on amazon for $2.89...use a sim cutter and you're good to go.
obviously you have not heard about the new byod by straight talk!
unlimitedx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:05 AM   #11
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Arrow

Did a LOT of research on this just yesterday, actually!

Currently, it is technically against the terms of service to use any other phone than the ones they specifically sell, though they haven't been checking the IMEIs unless you called for support. However, you would need to purchase a $50 Nokia phone (refurbished), activate everything on that device, and THEN transfer the SIM to the iPhone.

Here's a good guide on getting it set up:
http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...ht_Talk_iPhone

The Nokia devices come with SIMs that use AT&T's network.

Starting on Feb 7th, Straight Talk will be selling SIM cards for unlocked devices (though you wouldn't necessary need unlocked if you have an AT&T iPhone anyway) as part of a new service... only initial cost will be a $15 SIM fee (much better than the $50 phone), AND you don't have to worry about them terminating your service by using a non-official phone, since this new service is BYOD ("bring your own device"). Still $45 unlimited everything, and perfectly legal now. (Note that you cannot use a CDMA iPhone 4 or 4S with Straight Talk. It must be GSM)

Here's the site for more info on the SIM offer, starting Tuesday:
http://straighttalksim.com/

One concern, that will still hold for the new BYOD service is the data limitations. While it is technically unlimited, they have cut some people off who use high amounts of data (i.e. 5-10+ GB per month). It is recommended by people online that you try to stay below 2GB per month if possible. However, people who have gone over have been able to call up (they claim to have said they left YouTube open), and have their data re-activated. In general, it seems as long as you don't go crazy with data usage, you'll be fine.

Some other things to note include the 3G speed, which is usually around 2-3Mbps down on the 3GS and 4, and I've seen screenshots of up to 5-6Mbps on the iPhone 4S. The carrier in the top left of the screen (next to your bars) will read "HOME" rather than "AT&T". You can change this if you'd like if you are jailbroken by using an app called FakeCarrier.

3G data, Push email, FaceTime, and iMessage all work if you use the APN of "att.mvno". MMS works for some, though may require a jailbreak application. I'm not concerned about MMS though, and I don't jailbreak. I rarely receive them, and I can send images as emails if I need to. Personal hotspot also only works for some, but there are some ideas out there on how to activate it without a jailbreak, though it is technically against their Terms of Service, and you could be red-flagged in their system if you use tons of data tethering all day.

I hope this post has helped; I will most likely be ordering the new SIM next week to use this service on my 4S, finally an upgrade from EDGE on T-Mobile, which I use currently.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 04:15 PM   #12
chrislaw
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to chrislaw
awesome write up, thanks for the info. Stinks that I have the verizon 4S or I think that I would probably do this...
Twitter - @ceegeelawrence Instagram - @ceegeelawrence
chrislaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 04:31 PM   #13
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy20 View Post

Currently, it is technically against the terms of service to use any other phone than the ones they specifically sell, though they haven't been checking the IMEIs unless you called for support. However, you would need to purchase a $50 Nokia phone (refurbished), activate everything on that device, and THEN transfer the SIM to the iPhone.

Starting on Feb 7th, Straight Talk will be selling SIM cards for unlocked devices (though you wouldn't necessary need unlocked if you have an AT&T iPhone anyway) as part of a new service... only initial cost will be a $15 SIM fee (much better than the $50 phone), AND you don't have to worry about them terminating your service by using a non-official phone, since this new service is BYOD ("bring your own device"). Still $45 unlimited everything, and perfectly legal now. (Note that you cannot use a CDMA iPhone 4 or 4S with Straight Talk. It must be GSM)

One concern, that will still hold for the new BYOD service is the data limitations. While it is technically unlimited, they have cut some people off who use high amounts of data (i.e. 5-10+ GB per month). It is recommended by people online that you try to stay below 2GB per month if possible. However, people who have gone over have been able to call up (they claim to have said they left YouTube open), and have their data re-activated. In general, it seems as long as you don't go crazy with data usage, you'll be fine.

Some other things to note include the 3G speed, which is usually around 2-3Mbps down on the 3GS and 4, and I've seen screenshots of up to 5-6Mbps on the iPhone 4S. The carrier in the top left of the screen (next to your bars) will read "HOME" rather than "AT&T". You can change this if you'd like if you are jailbroken by using an app called FakeCarrier.

3G data, Push email, FaceTime, and iMessage all work if you use the APN of "att.mvno". MMS works for some, though may require a jailbreak application. I'm not concerned about MMS though, and I don't jailbreak. I rarely receive them, and I can send images as emails if I need to. Personal hotspot also only works for some, but there are some ideas out there on how to activate it without a jailbreak, though it is technically against their Terms of Service, and you could be red-flagged in their system if you use tons of data tethering all day.

I hope this post has helped; I will most likely be ordering the new SIM next week to use this service on my 4S, finally an upgrade from EDGE on T-Mobile, which I use currently.
great write up! let us know how it goes as soon as you have set up your iPhone. I'm particularly interested how well visual voicemail works.
andiwm2003 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 05:28 PM   #14
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
great write up! let us know how it goes as soon as you have set up your iPhone. I'm particularly interested how well visual voicemail works.
Thanks -- Unfortunately, I've heard it doesn't. If you wanted VV, you'd need to use something like YouMail.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 05:15 PM   #15
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedx View Post
obviously you have not heard about the new byod by straight talk!
lol it was just announced a few days ago and isn't available until tomorrow.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 05:33 PM   #16
solo118
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Thanks -- Unfortunately, I've heard it doesn't. If you wanted VV, you'd need to use something like YouMail.
A small price to pay, but overall a great writeup. Best of luck to those who get Straight Talk
solo118 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 01:18 AM   #17
Eddy120876
macrumors member

I for one can't wait. I have a MetroPCS LTE phone and lets just say "skippy" dies after 4 hours of use during the winter and 2.5 hours during the summer. So im doing the ST BYOP deal using my old 3G iphone. The good news is that they have both sim choices: Micro or regular sim cards so no need to buy a cutter of Ebay. also is a better deal for my money. 45 instead of 60 a month. I barely go over 3GB a month. Plus you can choose Tmob or ATT "lets surf and talk at the sametime "
Eddy120876 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Eddy120876
macrumors member

Well they started to take orders guys so take a look at their page
Eddy120876 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 01:32 PM   #19
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy120876 View Post
Well they started to take orders guys so take a look at their page
the AT&T microsim is already sold out!!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 09:28 PM   #20
Eddy120876
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
the AT&T microsim is already sold out!!
I checked for my zip code and they still have the micro sim. Re check tomorrow they might have more. Also some of the posters of H.W say that even if it says sold out pick the micro sim plus 45 dollar minute and it should appear.

Last edited by Eddy120876; Feb 7, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Eddy120876 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:37 PM   #21
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

it does work even with an att locked one... it has unlimited data for $45 a month

the owner of straighttalk is ok with you doing that... by the way

http://www.cnnexpansion.com/negocios...honmania-en-eu

I've seen comments on youtube that say straighttalk now sells microsims

Last edited by apollo1444; Feb 9, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
apollo1444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:10 PM   #22
iPhoneRepo
macrumors newbie

att locked i4 st

got mine working pushin 3mbs dl speed. apn settings thy gave me worked then stopped... im seeing numerous apn settings... i try to mms but it fails...

st apn they provided
apn : straight talk
mms/: wap.tracfone
mmsc: http://mms.tracfone.com
mms proxy: 216.155.165.40
mms max msg: 1048576

please post what works for you...

also imessage is off and on throught text.
iPhoneRepo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:18 PM   #23
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneRepo View Post
got mine working pushin 3mbs dl speed. apn settings thy gave me worked then stopped... im seeing numerous apn settings... i try to mms but it fails...
MMS does not work for may people.

Try att.mvno for the data APN.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:44 PM   #24
james92se
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Wow, this is cool!
james92se is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:38 PM   #25
gapperonduty
macrumors 6502

Everything sounds so good so far...why hasn't anyone from ATT switching to this since it is much more affordable and with the same coverage as well...

on that note, how's the service in New York, anyone using it at the moment?
gapperonduty is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone