Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
I can't wait to touch other peoples' wing sauce and saliva from their fingers. I can't think of a worse restaurant for this.

OMG -- can you imagine the gunk, food and greasy fingerprints that these things have on them at the end of the day?! I believe there are even those that would deliberately try to break the device (pour soup into the head phone jack, etc) -- there are some ridiculous people out there that just want to destroy stuff.

Ha! Although you guys make a good point, just as the tables are quickly cleaned between visits by the waitresses, the iPads are cleaned. It really hasn't been a big problem.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Aww, I posted a whole reply and then got a 503 "guru meditation" error that wiped my post.

Anyway, basically I wouldn't want to replace human interactions with waiters/waitresses. Though I could see this technology being used at fast food or takeout type places. Imagine walking up to a kiosk, ordering your custom burgers or pizzas, getting a ticket number printed, then just waiting for your number to be called.

But for sit-down places? No, I like talking to service staff.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Nope, credit card, which of course gets touched. But I didn't claim that going to the cash register is sterile; rather, it's just better than touching an iPad that hundreds of different people have touched.

Not unlike my aunt who never touches door handles or knobs, paper money, rails on stairways, paper menus in restaurants, the bottom of trays in delis or cafes with trays, paper cups in dispensers...and on and on. Wears gloves and is single. Go figure.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Aww, I posted a whole reply and then got a 503 "guru meditation" error that wiped my post.

Anyway, basically I wouldn't want to replace human interactions with waiters/waitresses. Though I could see this technology being used at fast food or takeout type places. Imagine walking up to a kiosk, ordering your custom burgers or pizzas, getting a ticket number printed, then just waiting for your number to be called.

But for sit-down places? No, I like talking to service staff.

The iPad is not meant to replace the server, it just allows the guests to control their experience (place orders and pay their bill without having to always wait for the server to come back) and allows the server to become more efficient (not collecting cards, check splitting, getting signatures, waiting in line for a POS terminal, etc). In fact, it allows the servers to spend more time assisting the guests...

(don't want to sound like a salesman, just trying to clear up the misconception that the iPad replaces the server)

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Nope, credit card, which of course gets touched. But I didn't claim that going to the cash register is sterile; rather, it's just better than touching an iPad that hundreds of different people have touched.

So I guess when you go to a sit-down restaurant, you never look at the menu?

grady2007

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
Ohio
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Germs on the iPads could be a real infection control issue #. Especially with finger food like wings.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Not unlike my aunt who never touches door handles or knobs, paper money, rails on stairways, paper menus in restaurants, the bottom of trays in delis or cafes with trays, paper cups in dispensers...and on and on. Wears gloves and is single. Go figure.

Damn it! I keep forgetting how juvenile people are on the internet.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Good thing they are not using Androids or the food orders would get messed up. :apple:

Flamebait. Why so angry? And why even bring Android into the discussion. This story has nothing to do with Android. In case you didn't read it - it's about a restaurant that serves wings and is using the iPad.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

When I see people that wear gloves in public...indoors, it makes me think what is wrong with them?

As per bacteria, makes your immune system strong

Maybe that's why I can't recall the last time I have been ill lol

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
BYOi

I'd rather have the option to download some BW3 app to my own iPad to order from there.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
The iPad is not meant to replace the server, it just allows the guests to control their experience (place orders and pay their bill without having to always wait for the server to come back) and allows the server to become more efficient (not collecting cards, check splitting, getting signatures, waiting in line for a POS terminal, etc). In fact, it allows the servers to spend more time assisting the guests...

(don't want to sound like a salesman, just trying to clear up the misconception that the iPad replaces the server)

Don't be too discouraged by the comments here. They're always overwhelmingly negative for every news story. Sounds to me like you guys have a great product. Don't listen to these fools. Haters gonna hate.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This is pretty wtf-y. Sounds like an idea some tard in a high-level position threw out to an executive meeting, hoping to prove he had some use in the company, and those guys went for it.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
So are they going to hose the iPad off after all those nasty hands have molested it? I always did want a gooey iPad to use at a restaurant!

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
...and no one actually talking with the friends with whom they've gone out to eat.

So sad....

I cannot possibly give you as many thumbs up as I want to in agreement with this statement. MacRumours would run out of thumbs up.

+ sticky fingers, people who don't wash their hands properly after using the washroom and people with colds etc. Nothing like someone rubbing their hands across a cold sore while surfing on an iPad that I am supposed to touch after they leave to order food....

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Yeah, I've got a lot of friends in the service industry that are gonna be THRILLED about being out of a job.

The idea that technology creates unemployment is an economic fallacy. http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa068.html

Technology raises wages because it increases productivity. Yes, in the short run some people might be out of a job, but when labor is replaced by technology it frees up the labor so it can be used for more productive uses.

Our goal should not be to create maximum employment. If it were, we could simply outlaw the use of all machinery and require all production to be done by hand. But would anyone argue that this would not make society as a whole much poorer?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
And then take the cash they hand you that's just as dirty as the iPad (or dirtier - I bet that iPad gets wiped clean every once in a while, when was the last time you cleaned the cash in your wallet)?

I don't carry cash. I would say EVER but in the course of a year less than 100.00 touches my hands. Generally it is proven that the keypads on the instant teller devices at restaurants are pretty filthy, I just wash my hands after. But the idea of having one staring at me during my dinner just blows.

I look at it this way, I order the food, the waitress might bring it over and ask how it is, I pay for it via iPad, to me I might just as well go up and get my food myself and save the tip since I am doing all of the work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.