Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Hi all!

"What is this" - My attempt to gather data and compile a map on AT&T's evil throttling practice. The purpose of this map is to show what areas of the country are getting throttled at what point.

"That's awesome- how can I help?" - What you need to do is post your monthly data use- available in the AT&T app, if you have gotten a warning/notice that you are being throttled, and where you are physically. (city/state would be helpful)

"Anything else?" - If you've used under a gig, and haven't gotten a message, please don't post... This thread needs to remain readable

Thanks so much everyone!

Dave

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I use between 2 and 4 gb per month. I got my first throttling notification on January 25, and I was just a hair over 2 gb. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Not me, but my brother was throttled at just over 2 GB today. He lives in Lawton, OK.
He sent me the screen from the AT&T app, showed 2076.25 MB. Received message from AT&T at 8:59, he checked his usage at 9:11.

SinisterKnight

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
I got the message around 2gb, but got throttled after I passed 4gb. I live in Sacramento CA. It is annoying beyond belief!

macnerd77

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
Northern California / Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I live Sacramento CA. Last month my data usage was 4.2GB. This month it is 4.3GB. I received a throttle notice 2 days ago. My data usage has been consistent for the past 6 months. We have got to stop this. I am strongly thinking about switching to another carrier. I will pay an ETF I don't care.

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
kudos

brilliant idea, but i think f ing-att is making up this 2gb cap as they go

anywho, got a warning at 1.5gb, caped (2nd month now) at 2gb
here's my past 14 months:
ooVB1.png

my situation is a bit different. although i was told by att rep that i'm still in NY market. i actually live in chicago

Last edited:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
We have got to stop this. I am strongly thinking about switching to another carrier. I will pay an ETF I don't care.

Just sell your iPhone, at least it will cover the ETF. I'm pretty much done with ATT as well, my sister and i bought our dad a 4S for his bday and gave it to him at dinner. We called ATT to activate it. Guess what? There's no customer service agents at 7pm on a saturday. I even called up apple to ask them if there are any special phone numbers att uses for these situations. The head customer service guy said he would dig around and try to find something, he called me back and said he was shocked to tell me there's no possible way ATT could activate my phone that night. What if there's an emergency? Verizon customer service is available 24/7. I hate ATT, and i was a VERY loyal customer.

ross71

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Illinois
Got the throttle notice this morning at 2066.93 mb. Springfield, IL. I usually average about 1.6 gb. Actually got to 3.6 gb one time. Not throttled yet...my next billing cycle is in 2 days anyway. :rolleyes:

Now my brother on the other hand got the notice and has been throttled for a couple of weeks. Also started at 2 gb. He is getting dial-up speed now :eek: He also lives in Springfield, IL.

Doc Rock

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2012
I was throttled this month at 2117.3MB. I have never received one of these notices before. I checked my past history and I'm pretty much at 1.4GB almost every month. I had a 2.4GB month in April 11 and Sep 11, and hit 2.0 in Dec 11 then 2.4 again in Jan 11. So I don't consider myself an abuser of the network. I am in Houston, TX.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Live in northern NJ

Got throttled at 2.06 GB with 19 days left in my billing cycle

For the next 19 days my phone basically has no internet

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Both my wife's line and mine are at 3.5GB and 4.25GB respectively.
Not a peep.
Still have 4 days left in the billing period.

crewpride

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Southern California
I live in the Los Angeles area. I've gotten the message a couple times in the past year right around 1.5 GB and throttled around 2.1. Ridiculous that I pay for an unlimited plan, which is the same cost as the new 3 GB plan, yet am not even allowed to hit that amount before slowing to a crawl.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Got the high data usage alert on 1/30/12, live in NYC (brooklyn)

Lately I use anywhere between 1.5-2gb per month but used 3gb this month and got that dreaded message. They did not throttle me, but told me next time they would. This is totally ridiculous and not a thing I can do because they will bully me into going to their 3GB plan which i will not do.

Oddly enough going through my past bills, I used less data in the past few months and I get this foolish data warning now!

Note: my cycle date begins the 3rd of each month, so each month is actually the prior month's usage

May '11 used 2.2gb
Jun '11 used 3.4gb
July '11 used 2.4gb
Aug '11 used 2.5gb
Sep '11 used 3.9gb
Oct '11 used 1.7gb
Nov '11 used 1.5gb
Dec '11 used 1.7gb
Jan '12 used 1.4gb
Feb '12 roughly 3.5gb (they dont have the exact number as the bill is not available yet)

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I am a heavy user, or was until i got throttled last month. I spent hours on the phone with AT&T with little to show for it. I used to watch a ton of netflix over 3G and averaged between 6 and 20 gigs. However, since being throttled I have begun a TON of research and have found some unsettling things.

There are disparigies between what my AT&T iphone app says I use for data and what actually gets billed. And that data is different form what the "DATA USAGE TREND" chart shows for each month. It looks like text messages count towards data, even though AT&T says it doesn't, but if you push them and have evidence to show them they will admit that messages do count towards data. I'm just overwhelmed by all of this. Very frustrating.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I normally use between 6-8 GB a month and got my first notice that warned I would be throttled the next billing period if I "was among the top 5% of data users" back in November. I've been consistently throttled since then, always when I reach 2.1 GB. That did not stop me from using 5.6 GB and 4.5 GB the past two months, however. I need my data connection for my job. AT&T is making it much harder for me to get my work done in a timely manner because I am stuck waiting on important emails and file transfers to complete. I am in the Greater Cleveland Area, but my phone number falls into the Northern Los Angeles area code, since I moved from Southern California(93065) to Northeast Ohio(44125) and never swapped my number. I don't know if that would affect my initial cap though.

Boen

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
Woods Cross, UT (Salt Lake City suburb)
5GB last period

No warning...yet

Attachments

• data usage.png
    data usage.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 145

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Got a warning last month and then one this month that I was approaching....

I'm in Denver, Co

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-07 at 1.54.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-07 at 1.54.53 PM.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 168

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
I normally use between 6-8 GB a (...) but my phone number falls into the Northern Los Angeles area code, since I moved from Southern California(93065) to Northeast Ohio(44125) and never swapped my number. I don't know if that would affect my initial cap though.

it might just work for you. i saw another poster from OH with 5gb usage & no throttling. seems only big cities are affected by this (strangely)

btw, the easiest way to keep your number & switch:
- port your number to google voice
- get new, OH number with att

only disadvantage will be the need to use google voice app to make calls & text (unless you have jailbroken phone, then use "gv sms extention" & "gv phone extention" - integrates into messaging & phone apps)

ps: do let us know if you switch & if you still get throttled afterwards!

----------

Got a warning last month and then one this month that I was approaching....

I'm in Denver, Co

at what bandwidth did you get a warning / throttled?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
it might just work for you. i saw another poster from OH with 5gb usage & no throttling. seems only big cities are affected by this (strangely)

btw, the easiest way to keep your number & switch:
- port your number to google voice
- get new, OH number with att

only disadvantage will be the need to use google voice app to make calls & text (unless you have jailbroken phone, then use "gv sms extention" & "gv phone extention" - integrates into messaging & phone apps)

ps: do let us know if you switch & if you still get throttled afterwards

I definitely will, but you'd think a number from a county whose population is much greater(About 10 million people in LA county vs. less than 4 million people in Cuyahoga county) would in turn have a higher data use average.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.