Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

sprint_logo-150x63.jpg

Sprint today became the last of the three major U.S. iPhone carriers to report earnings for the fourth quarter of 2011, disclosing that it sold a total of 1.8 million iPhones during the quarter. While well below the 7.6 million activations reported by AT&T and the 4.3 million activations reported by Verizon, Sprint's iPhone surge helped it achieve a new record high subscriber base of 55 million customers.

Notably, 40% of Sprint's iPhone purchasers were new to the carrier, highlighting the device's ability to attract customers from other carriers. That percentage is on par with AT&T's reporting during its early quarters of iPhone availability, although that number has tapered off for AT&T over time as those who wanted to switch made the move and new carriers such as Verizon and now Sprint have leveled the playing field somewhat.

While Sprint was undoubtedly pleased with the impact of the iPhone on subscriber numbers, it did have a short-term impact on Sprint's earnings with margins being eroded by the upfront subsidies the carrier paid to Apple for the devices. Sprint's total subsidy payments increased roughly 40% year-over-year and sequentially, hitting $1.7 billion.

Between the iPhone launch and Sprint's "Network Vision" initiative to consolidate and simplify its network technology as it moves to 4G LTE, the carrier's operating income margin was sliced nearly in half, leading to a net loss of $1.3 billion for the carrier. That performance did, however, beat Wall Street expectations by a small amount, and the carrier views the short-term hit to profitability in attracting iPhone customers to be an investment in the carrier's future. Sprint's strategy in negotiating to land the iPhone did indeed involve an effort to "bet the company" on the iconic device as Sprint struggled to keep up with AT&T and Verizon.

Article Link: Sprint Sells 1.8 Million iPhones in 4Q 2011, 40% to New Subscribers

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I wonder if even Jobs realized exactly what he had on his hands in 2007. This phenomenon is set to be even bigger than the iPod. And all Apple really wanted was a little bit of share.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Sprint is going to do a debt offering of about $1.2B to cover the payments to Apple and network expansion. It is hard to find the liquidity in this market. So why not have Apple lend it with the network as the collateral. Sprint gets needed liquidity at market rates, Apple gets an income producing investment at higher than market rates. It has a strong position in case of default. Sort of a put.

If Apple were to be the banker to all its major customers such as Verizon and AT&T, it would be a very good self-feeding side business and an excellent use for a seemingly small portion of its cash hoard.

Rocketman

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Too bad the performance on Sprint network sucks :mad: (both internet and phone reception) or I would switch. It's one step away from being the Encore/Starz:eek: of the premium movie channels..

b45622475be644c49534871e659a3cf6.jpg

Last edited:

voonyx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
The iPhone gets a carrier a crapload of new customers?? Never saw that coming.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And all Apple really wanted was a little bit of share.

You keep saying this in thread after thread and I find it false. Do you really believe Apple didn't want a large share of the market? Just because Steve/Apple made a comment or provided a soundbite back SEVERAL years ago about what they wanted doesn't make it fact. Nor does it make it relevant now. I am pretty sure that Apple wants to dominate in all the markets they participate in. That's business. Saying you'll be happy with X is a PR/Marketing bite which allows you (as a company) to look ok with just a minimal share since that's "all you're going for" and also look AMAZING by exceeding those expectations.

It's word play. It's PR. Smart PR... but PR.

But don't believe for a second that they wanted or would have just been happy with a small share.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
I wonder if even Jobs realized exactly what he had on his hands in 2007. This phenomenon is set to be even bigger than the iPod. And all Apple really wanted was a little bit of share.

Not so fast. Ballmer and MS are "Coming Full Guns"

"This year is undoubtedly the year of Windows Phone 7 as far as Microsoft is concerned."

Can't wait to see Windows Phone 8. :rolleyes:

Note: Actually I can wait.

Good for Apple, bad for Sprint. Now they are running even bigger losses with the iPhone.

Sprint would lose even more money if they did not have the iPhone. Why else would the CEO pay $20B to get iPhone?

The iPhone is that good. Android can't even come close to that - they can't even give them away. LOL

Last edited:

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am curious about the retention rate?

PapaStu

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I would think that the 40% jump in new subscribers would have been those flocking to Sprint as the last 'true' unlimited data network in the US. That's what it was for a few co-workers of mine. They all jumped ship from AT&T and Verizon for that data 'freedom'.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

700,000 new customers for Sprint and that's for the launch holiday quarter. It will be less from here on in until iPhone 5. iPhone on Sprint = FAIL.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
They will also make up for it. I pay like $80 a month :p

Tell me about it. Not only is service fantastic in Baltimore, but I pay $215 or so for a family plan with 3 4G, insured, and unlimited data phones.

AT&T wanted me to add another $150 to that just for the standard 3G phones with capped data.

I heard it's better than AT&T's abysmal service though.

It depends on where you live, but yes, AT&T is some garbage in Baltimore.

700,000 new customers for Sprint and that's for the launch holiday quarter. It will be less from here on in until iPhone 5. iPhone on Sprint = FAIL.

Why?

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I heard it's better than AT&T's abysmal service though.

Where's your bias coming from..

iPhone 4S carrier study: AT&T wins for data speed, Verizon for call reliability Sprint comes in last in both
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/21/tech/mobile/iphone-att-verizon-test/index.html

Verizon < ATT < Sprint
The tests found that Verizon dropped calls 2.1 percent of the time, while AT&T dropped 2.8 percent of calls and Sprint lost 3.7 percent of calls. The average dropped-call rate for the entire mobile industry is 1.4 percent.

ATT < Verizon < Sprint
With regard to maximum data speeds, AT&T led the pack at 6,047Kbps, with Verizon a distant second at 2,371Kbps, and Sprint crawling in last with only 1,767Kbps.

Burn...
hillary_clinton.jpg

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I have an iPhone on Sprint and yeah speeds are trash. I don't see why it's so hard for them to have decent speeds of 700kps to 1mb down. It shouldn't be that freaking hard for them to tweak their antennas to work.... especially if Verizon can (ANOTHER CMDA company)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Nice but you could get your greater than/less than symbols in the right places.

Also, after actually reading your link, it seems that the analytical company that made the claims failed to inform anyone about where they did their tests.

CNNTech said:
It's unclear, however, exactly where Metrico tested data bandwidth, and as any iPhone-toting San Francisco resident will tell you, data quality can be terrible in areas with high concentrations of tech geeks.

It also says a lot about the pluses and minuses of each carrier, never actually claiming that one is worse than the other as so many on these forums try doing.

CNNTech said:
So what's the bottom line? It looks like you're going to get a relatively positive data-downloading experience no matter which carrier you choose, if only because you will be able to download data. But if you value downloading material quickly, you should go with AT&T. If call reliability is paramount, stick with Verizon, and if you want to use a lot of data but don't care about speed, go with Sprint.

Last edited:

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I'm pretty excited that Sprint is doing well with the iPhone. If you're looking for unlimited data, albeit at slightly slower speeds that AT&T, it's a no-brainer.

I've always liked Sprint. I was with them for 8 years before I dropped them for AT&T and an iPhone. Always liked their service. I have a family plan on AT&T without many complaints, but I like the idea of moving back to Sprint. There's just so many people in NYC using AT&T iPhones that it can't hurt to distribute the network load to other carriers.

EvilEvil

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
New York City
Where's your bias coming from..

iPhone 4S carrier study: AT&T wins for data speed, Verizon for call reliability Sprint comes in last in both
http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/21/tech/mobile/iphone-att-verizon-test/index.html

Verizon < ATT < Sprint
The tests found that Verizon dropped calls 2.1 percent of the time, while AT&T dropped 2.8 percent of calls and Sprint lost 3.7 percent of calls. The average dropped-call rate for the entire mobile industry is 1.4 percent.

ATT < Verizon < Sprint
With regard to maximum data speeds, AT&T led the pack at 6,047Kbps, with Verizon a distant second at 2,371Kbps, and Sprint crawling in last with only 1,767Kbps.

Yeah CNN is such a credible tech source.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Generally the data is better on iphone ATT then Verizon.. that is a given.. and being that have family both and doing side by side testing going cross country together it held true that data wise ATT was better. Reception wasn't as good but not as bad a Sprint.. and data on Sprint sucks and isn't as good with data or reception then either. As bad a ATT is, which I don't like but pick your poison Sprint Service is not an option.

----------

Yeah CNN is such a credible tech source.

AT&T iPhone 4S Tops Verizon, Sprint on Data Speeds, Web Browsing
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396597,00.asp
how many other sources do you want..? Let's see you dig up a source saying Sprint iPhone service is the best.. I'm not even going to defend that fact you have Sprint.. Sorry to hear it.. :D

iPhone 4S carrier showdown: AT&T fastest, Verizon most reliable
http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/18/iphone-4s-carrier-showdown-att-fastest-verizon-most-reliable/

Metrico-iphone-calls.png

Metrico-iphone-data.png

Here's why. AT&T's iPhone runs on HSPA 14.4. That isn't the fastest wireless Internet network out there by far, but it's faster than the EV-DO Rev. A that Sprint and Verizon are stuck with.

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
how many other sources do you want..? Let's see you dig up a source saying Sprint iPhone service is the best.. I'm not even going to defend that fact you have Sprint.. Sorry to hear it.. :D

No one needs to say that Sprint iPhone service is the best. It's been a fact for years that the only thing going for Sprint is the price. Sadly you keep mentioning things no one cares about, and posting links to sites that still claim the one statement that should stop this kind of bickering:

CNET said:
The truth is that the speed of a cellular Internet connection varies a great deal from one location to another.

And again, as usually it seems that posters need to read their links before posting. The one you have linked also says:

CNET said:
Unlike the AT&T phone, Sprint's iPhone 4S had no problems with reception at CNET's offices. Its data speeds were also more reliable, ranging from 735Kbps to 1,965Kbps down and 321Kbps to 983Kbps up at different locations. Though some Sprint iPhone 4S owners have reported significantly slower data speeds, we haven't seen such a change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.