Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hatya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Hey guys!!

So good news Blizzard finally got their game together and made Diablo III mac compatable. I am definately getting mine on the launch date but I was wondering if you guys are getting it and if you do what type of character will you guys be creating?:cool: Mine is going to be either a Demon Hunter of a Barbarian. Post your response.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Diablo always been Mac compatible?

I'm certain Diablo II was, not sure of Diablo I.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Diablo always been Mac compatible?

I'm certain Diablo II was, not sure of Diablo I.

I'm with you, not sure on Diablo 1 but D2 was compatible. It only isn't now because apple removed PowerPC compatibility with Lion.

In any case, I guess I have a bit of an advantage here because I have the beta but I'll likely play most as Wizard, Barb or Monk. I always liked the Sorc in D2 and the Wizard is very similar. Plus, so far, the Wizard seems to have the most powerful attacks. Barb is much more fun in D3 than it was in D2 and monk just kicks ass.

Personally, I don't suggest Demon Hunter. I've played all the D3 classes and liked him the least but maybe that's just me. He's sorta a combination of the Amazon and Assassin classes from D2. I didn't like either of those so I don't like the Demon Hunter. If you liked them though more power to you.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
All previous versions of the Diablo franchise have worked with Macs.

Diablo 3 included. Blizzard is great in that it releases both formats at the same time. At present the beta D3 works just fine on a Mac.

Blizzard should be commended for always supporting native Mac gaming and doing a great job in legacy support. The original Star Craft and D2 worked just fine up until Lion was released. I still play both on my old 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard.

Hey guys!!

So good news Blizzard finally got their game together and made Diablo III mac compatable. I am definately getting mine on the launch date but I was wondering if you guys are getting it and if you do what type of character will you guys be creating?:cool: Mine is going to be either a Demon Hunter of a Barbarian. Post your response.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
What I hate about Blizzard is how long they take to release the game!!!

And also, I read somewhere that they will include an option to pay for certain things, with real-life money. Is this true?

And the other thing, is that you will need to be online to play solo. In Diablo II, I never played online, I hated the cheats and "impossible to kill characters". And having to have an internet connection can be a pain, specially when you really don't need it for playing solo.

As for the OP, I think I'll play Barbarian.

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Personally, I don't suggest Demon Hunter.

I'm in the beta and have been hanging out with a clan that's been playing quite a bit. One thing I'll say is that every person I've talked to has a different feeling about the classes, so it's worth trying all of them before committing to playing one.

After playing them all to the beta's level cap, which is 13, there isn't a class that I didn't like. Demon Hunter has some very fun mobility and snare abilities, and I found myself really fascinated by it.

Here's a video of me playing around with dropping caltrops on the ground and using rapid fire to take down snared creatures kited through the snare. Note, this isn't challenging, but with some practice I could imagine doing this in much more dangerous scenarios.

http://youtu.be/a_-LbqQ8zuE

Anyway, while I'm usually playing on a windows PC, I have played the game on my i7 Macbook Air and it works pretty well. I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time -- it's a lot of fun.

And also, I read somewhere that they will include an option to pay for certain things, with real-life money. Is this true?

Yes and no. What they are doing is setting up two auction houses, one using gold as currency and one using real money, so players can sell in-game items to each other for real money. Blizzard, however, won't be selling items to players directly. They will take a cut if and when someone decides to cash money out of their account (though players can use money in their account to pay for other Blizzard products and subscription fees without incurring that fee.)

What this means is that they're not adding NEW powerful items to the world -- instead, rare items are always ultimately from player drops. So yeah, someone could get one of those rare items by paying real money, just as they could if they met the other player in game, handed over the item, and then sent them money by PayPal in real life.

The reason Blizzard's doing this is that D2 had a lot of real money trading around it, and at least by setting up their own auction house, they can do a few things like escrow the item being auctioned, verify that the item is exactly what it's represented to be, and have the logs and information to address any problems with the process by restoring items or money to players' accounts. It's pretty much just to make the whole process safer, on the principle that it's going to happen anyway given how D3's item system works (and the existence of extremely rare items in the game that people are going to want to sell for cash.)

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
I really dislike if you can buy and sell items for real money on auction houses.
I guess it will help the gold farmers there was so many of in Wow...

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I have absolutely zero interest in Diablo 3. The auction house killed it for me. There are plenty of other games I'll play instead.

I don’t understand why. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. If it’s the fact that you know other players can just buy there way to the top I ask if you played D2? It may have not been built right into the system but plenty of people paid real money to get game items. All Blizzard has done in this is make that process easier and safer for the buyers. I know I won’t be using it but I certainly won’t boycott the game because of it’s inclusion.

----------

I'm in the beta and have been hanging out with a clan that's been playing quite a bit. One thing I'll say is that every person I've talked to has a different feeling about the classes, so it's worth trying all of them before committing to playing one.

After playing them all to the beta's level cap, which is 13, there isn't a class that I didn't like. Demon Hunter has some very fun mobility and snare abilities, and I found myself really fascinated by it.

I understand how it could be entertaining to some people and I did say that it was my personal opinion on the matter. I also pointed out that it’s basically a combo zon and ‘sin. If the OP liked those characters chances are that they will also like the DH.

Sorry if this didn’t come across. I wasn’t meaning to say that any one character is any worse than another. Just that personally I don’t enjoy the DH.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Also on the other Diablo thread, there was a link to a Q&A session where the DH was admitted to be a bit underpowered and needed re-balancing. So never know until launch how things might shape up.

Really jealous of those that are in the beta. I never had a WoW account or purchased SC2, so I never had a chance at beta. Just sitting here with my pre-ordered CE waiting for D3 goodness.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
I don’t understand why. If you don’t like it, don’t use it. If it’s the fact that you know other players can just buy there way to the top I ask if you played D2? It may have not been built right into the system but plenty of people paid real money to get game items. All Blizzard has done in this is make that process easier and safer for the buyers. I know I won’t be using it but I certainly won’t boycott the game because of it’s inclusion
Inclusion doesn't make it right. If you want to spend your money to buy everything in sight, go right ahead. I don't agree with it, and I'm not buying the game. It's not a boycott. :rolleyes:

I don't like what the company has become, and I simply chose not to buy their games based on the features or additions included or excluded.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Also on the other Diablo thread, there was a link to a Q&A session where the DH was admitted to be a bit underpowered and needed re-balancing. So never know until launch how things might shape up.

Really jealous of those that are in the beta. I never had a WoW account or purchased SC2, so I never had a chance at beta. Just sitting here with my pre-ordered CE waiting for D3 goodness.

I never had WoW or purchased SC2 either, I still got in the beta... All you have to do is fill out your beta profile on battle.net and you can get in. It doesn’t matter what old games you’ve had.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I really dislike if you can buy and sell items for real money on auction houses.
I guess it will help the gold farmers there was so many of in Wow...

Well, if I understand the situation properly, they won't be robbing you of resources on your map... however the concept of an auction house for real cash turns me off. It sounds like a craven way to ring more money out of the game. But who says I need to buy stuff from other people?? I must think on this...

Diablo3 Will Let Players Buy and Sell Items for Real Money.- PC Gamer.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Blizzard has always had a stand on making on Mac games right along side windows development. They even used to have a small team for linux support too. But they not to long ago dropped linux support.

mark_wilkins

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
I never had WoW or purchased SC2 either, I still got in the beta... All you have to do is fill out your beta profile on battle.net and you can get in. It doesn’t matter what old games you’ve had.

You do have to have some game attached to your account to fill out the beta profile at all, though.

----------

however the concept of an auction house for real cash turns me off. It sounds like a craven way to ring more money out of the game. But who says I need to buy stuff from other people??

Blizzard certainly will get a cut if someone elects to have their sale proceeds go to PayPal, but I personally think that they're more doing it to help protect their players (and avoid bad press about players being scammed) than as a profit center. I have trouble imagining that the real-money AH will be enough money for them to make much of a difference in their revenues.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan

I guess I've just gotten the shaft. I've been signed up since day 1 for beta and have always had my Starcraft, WC3, D2, and D2: LOD games linked to my battle.net account. Even an old free WoW trial.

Oh well. I'll just keep waiting patiently for Amazon to ship my CE to my door.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I guess I've just gotten the shaft. I've been signed up since day 1 for beta and have always had my Starcraft, WC3, D2, and D2: LOD games linked to my battle.net account. Even an old free WoW trial.

Oh well. I'll just keep waiting patiently for Amazon to ship my CE to my door.

That’s the thing with blizzard. You aren’t getting the shaft, they just want the keys to be given out fairly. Just because someone has played all their games doesn’t mean they deserves a beta over anyone else so they make it random who gets a key. The only thing not random about it is their selection of systems. The reason you input your system specs is so that blizzard can test many different systems to make sure their games work perfectly for all.

All I can say is just keep waiting and make sure to check bnet now and then. I know I might have been in a month or so before I thought because I always was expecting an email and never got one. I only knew I was in because, ironically enough, I went on to download D2 lol

----------

You do have to have some game attached to your account to fill out the beta profile at all, though.

Well yeah but I assumed that he had D2 linked since no one who hasn’t played D2 would have the Collector’s Edition of D3 ordered.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Concerning the auction houses of D3, as far as I know there will be both types: the one with real money and the other based on the in-game economy, with in-game gold.

I totally agree that the real-money AH is just disgusting as idea (seriously, anyone at blizzard still remembers that it's only a game ? ) but it is definitely not game-breaking for anyone, as you can just ignore it.

What I don't really know, though, is that having these 2 types of AH at the same time, how the game-economy will work. That is always a challenge on online games. WoW works, but it doesn't have real money AH.

Now, as far as it goes for the classes, it's kind of disturbing that a game developed for so long time lacks some of the most basic/standard classes. For instance, where is the paladin ? Do they really have to add it on an expansion ?

mrpikkolo83

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
CA
dual AH

If there are dual AH's why would anyone put an item in the gold ah if there is an opportunity to make real money? gold in all diablo games is easy to get anyway. I am just curious how this will all pan out.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Hey guys!!

I don't see where you got the idea that Diablo III wasn't Mac compatible. Blizzard has always supported the Mac platform with all their major releases and Diablo III is no exception. It has been a dual platform ( PC and Mac ) game from the beginning. What hasnt been confirmed but going by recent reports is that they are working on or at least seriously considering a console version.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I have been waiting on diablo3 that long I had forgot all about the auction house controversy, and now I honestly don't care at all. I just want to play the game and enjoy it but at the rate development is going it will be late 2012 or early 2013 before that happens.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
If there are dual AH's why would anyone put an item in the gold ah if there is an opportunity to make real money? gold in all diablo games is easy to get anyway. I am just curious how this will all pan out.

Not sure, I'm wondering the same. If I had to risk a guess, I'd say the real-money AH will have far less traffic, therefor far less items to buy. I believe (and I hope) that most people will play nice and prefer the in-game gold AH, rather than spend real money just to get a super duper item without any effort.

Then, again...

I have been waiting on diablo3 that long I had forgot all about the auction house controversy, and now I honestly don't care at all. I just want to play the game and enjoy it but at the rate development is going it will be late 2012 or early 2013 before that happens.

+1 to all.

G8R-Jim

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
I wasn't too concerned about the RMAH until I learned that item duping techniques have been discovered in the beta. If that isn't fixed before release, it will break the AH and seriously tarnish Blizzard's reputation.

Oh, and I will be playing as a Barbarian. :)

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
I wasn't too concerned about the RMAH until I learned that item duping techniques have been discovered in the beta. If that isn't fixed before release, it will break the AH and seriously tarnish Blizzard's reputation.

Oh, and I will be playing as a Barbarian. :)

Because real money is being involved blizzard, I’m sure, will be looking into all purchases before any money is transferred. They can tell if an item is dupped or not and if it is they will deal with the seller and make sure the buyer doesn’t waste any money.

Besides, if dupping tactics are being found in the beta they will have it fixed.

----------

so far (although the beta only has act one) gold is a little tougher to come by then before and significantly more important. It might be like D2 where everyone stops caring after act 1 but gold is used for crafting (easiest way to get good items at low level) and for increasing the size of your stash which starts off miniscule. If someone has an item they know is worth a lot they could easily put it up for auction to get money to craft something better for them.

With that being said, however, I still think people will be more interested in trading rather than selling in the AH. Why get gold when you could get an item you want?

I really fail to see how even the RMAH will be as big a deal breaker as everyone thinks. As pointed out above most people won’t want to spend real money on the game (this is diablo, not WoW) so the RMAH won’t likely be populated a whole lot.

I know during the beta they give each player a certain number of Beta Bucks (a stand in for real money or gold) to test out the auction house and few people use it much. I’ve only used it twice. Especially since most of the stuff costs 4 times as much as blizzard gives us to use lol.

hatya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
What I hate about Blizzard is how long they take to release the game!!!

And the other thing, is that you will need to be online to play solo. In Diablo II, I never played online, I hated the cheats and "impossible to kill characters". And having to have an internet connection can be a pain, specially when you really don't need it for playing solo.

As for the OP, I think I'll play Barbarian.
Yea I know believe it or not it comes out March 2, 2012. :eek: I really am pumped for it to come out!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.