Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apparently, iPad 3 enclosures are easy to come by these days. Earlier today, Repair Labs posted a photo of the interior the iPad 3 rear shell. They concluded that there were some minor changes that suggested a larger battery and redesigned logic board.

d3cb7a03b536d349e251574a6c861512_view.jpg

Tonight, Apple.pro posts an image of the back of the same shell, showing it to look quite simliar to the current iPad 2 backing, though the camera appears closer to the edge. There's no markings on the enclosure, however. No "iPad" or serial number markings.

f330433e2b2f93d403fa0e11dabb8f06_view.jpg

The site also claims to have a photo of the Smart Cover magnets, suggesting the iPad 3 will share the same Smart Cover as the iPad 2. iFixit has a magnet teardown of the iPad 2 which shows a similar magnet configuration.

Article Link: Photo of the Back of an iPad 3 Rear Shell, Smart Cover Magnets

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
The camera hole is on the curve. I doubt the lense would be formed like that

I agree

One explanation could be the camera is facing forward so that you take photos like a box brownie camera, looking down at the screen.

Either way you always look stupid taking photos with an iPad

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I agree

One explanation could be the camera is facing forward so that you take photos like a box brownie camera, looking down at the screen.

Either way you always look stupid taking photos with an iPad

Or maybe it’s a fake-Apple knock-off? Odd place for the hole—looks more like a lock switch or something.

The inside view was pretty convincing, though.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
it's probably a purposely leaked design in order to steer competition down the wrong path. Apple does that lately don't they? If what I say is right the next samsung tablet will still look like an ipad2 and not a 3. If the ipad3 official product was leaked it would be different and samsung would copy it and release before Apple and then say that they didn't copy even though it is exactly the same rofl

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Can't someone just log in to Foxconn and take a look ?

:D

He's referring to the fact that they were recently hacked with vendor passwords and usernames exposed, for those playing at home.

This rumor is looking very legit though.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
There's no markings on the enclosure, however. No "iPad" or serial number markings.

Hmm… Maybe it is as some other forum members predicted in another thread: The Device Formerly Known as iPad, fresh for the Chinese market! ;)

Apple has already branded the product worldwide in the minds of people. They should unname the device entirely.

Place an Apple logo on the device people will forever know going forward as an iPad, refer to it generically as pad, have an Apple logo on it and model numbers of course, but NO NAME, in cheeky markets.

Device formerly known as iPad?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I disagree. I think it's a plant.

Seriously.

It could be, as apple is always looking to plug holes. But someone else going through the trouble of custom maching this part for web traffic I don't buy. There's no rip offs on that KIRF market that blatant that I know of.

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
Fake! The Apple logo isn't quite right and even at the low-rez image shown, you can even make out the "jaggies." It doesn't have the model + serial, or at least some engineering mumbo jumbo below the logo, so it's fake!

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
When are we gonna to read Mac rumors? It's been pretty much iPad product wise. Kinda of annoying considering this is supposedly a Mac rumor site.

Not trying to hate, although this isn't going to be popular post.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ddyracer said:
When are we gonna to read Mac rumors? It's been pretty much iPad product wise. Kinda of annoying considering this is supposedly a Mac rumor site.

Not trying to hate, although this isn't going to be popular post.

Since when has apple been just about macs. Exactly. It's just that time of year. Winter we talk about iPad. Spring talk about Mac. Summer iOS and iPhone. And fall lawsuits.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
They can only report rumors about macs when they have rumors to report.

Also, lawsuits are a year round affair now.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I love me some iPad rumors.

The Verge is saying probably not quad core though, would be a slight bummer, but I'll take that retina display over quad core any day.

"We're also told that the A6 CPU the iPad 3 is likely to sport will include a significantly more powerful GPU — no big surprise there. What is surprising, however, is that our sources say that the A6 will not be a quad-core chip, but will remain dual-core. We've previously heard that the device would have a quad-core CPU as well as an LTE cell radio on-board, but at least part of that story wasn't accurate."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/8/2785486/ipad-3-back-photo-appears-a6-retina-display

Oh, and double the RAM please!

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
The camera lens is noticeably bigger, higher MP lens perhaps?

Anything's better than the disgraceful camera that the iPad 2 currently has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.