Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_ipad_3_rear_shell.jpg

AllThingsD, which has an accurate track record in revealing Apple's new product media events, is reporting that Apple will hold an event to launch the iPad 3 in the first week of March.
Sources say the company has chosen the first week in March to debut the successor to the iPad 2, and will do so at one of its trademark special events. The event will be held in San Francisco, presumably at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, Apple's preferred location for big announcements like these. No word yet on a street date for the iPad 3 (assuming that's what it's called), though my guess is retail availability will follow roughly the same schedule as that of the iPad 2: Available for purchase a week or so after the event.
The report's sources also corroborate some of the basic rumors surrounding the device, claiming that it will feature a "much faster chip", improved graphics capabilities, and a high-resolution display.

Last year, Apple introduced the iPad 2 with a media event on March 2, following that up with the first round of launches on March 11.

Update: As he frequently does, the reliable Jim Dalrymple at The Loop corroborates AllThingsD's claim with a simple "Yep."

Article Link: Apple to Introduce iPad 3 in First Week of March

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Ah, but will we be able to eat it, or will Dudley say this is evidence of the economy being great, that Apple releases a product?

macproguy77

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2009
Finally!

YES FINALLY!!

I'm an ipad 1 hold out, gave that to a family member about 6 months ago and oh how I've waited (however impatiently).

Excellent.. Now off to the APP store to pre-buy some apps and prepare.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
yes, yes, yes, YES!!!!!!

This made my day! So excited to order this!!! Perfect timing for my birthday!!!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Cannot wait! :D Anyone else think we will see a 128GB model this time around? (Due to the 4S getting 64GB)

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
I hope this is true. I really am excited to see what the iPad 3 will be like. The "retina" screen is at the top of my list and would definitely push me to make the purchase.

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
My mother will be pleased but...

WHAT ABOUT MY iMac?!

We've gone past the refresh date of the last two generations, and not even a rumor about the release date of Ivy Bridge CPUs suitable for the iMac or what kind of GPUs, or SSD...

I'm growing wary by the day :(

JamesDo

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Well yesterday BGR/YDM already reported that iOS 5.1 could be coming in the first week of March, which isn't unusual for Apple to release them both at the same time. :apple:

----------

I know it's very unlikely, but a SD slot to allow additional memory would be even better....

SD slot, talking about unlikely.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It's definitely getting close. Someone pointed out, yesterday, something about the next version of iOS being released around March 9th... not sure if there is any validity in that, but that might be the day of reveal or release, or close.

It would be nice to get upped memory, A6 processor, better camera/s, high-res. I'm sure it will have all sorts of little additions and improvements. Hope it doesn't disappoint all the anxiety and anticipation.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Skipped ipad2 and will pass on my original to my daughter at college when this launches. Really glad I skipped the last one as I feel Ive got fantastic value, nearly two years use from original. Every second year to update seems far more logical to me

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
haha, I got my iPad 2 three months ago, and I'd be one of those Apple fanboys to get this the day it's available.
I wish Apple could just take my money in advance, and ship the next iPad 3 (or whatever it will be called) to my doorstep on the launch day! argh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.