Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pingp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
regarding iMac 27-inch Mid 2011 (Thunderbolt Display Interface)

At the moment there is an adapter/converter/scaler to plug a PS3/Xbox/HDMI Device into an iMac to use it as a display in HD (720p, possibly 1080p).

The Blackmagic Design Intensity range will work.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

The Intensity Shuttle looks the best value for something that will work. But this is starting at US$239. It also looks like it has a bunch of features for people working with film that are not needed.

Does anyone know of any simpler, and less expensive, HDMI to Thunderbolt coveters? More Thunderbolt products are being released there should be something soon at least.

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
regarding iMac 27-inch Mid 2011 (Thunderbolt Display Interface)

At the moment there is an adapter/converter/scaler to plug a PS3/Xbox/HDMI Device into an iMac to use it as a display in HD (720p, possibly 1080p).

The Blackmagic Design Intensity range will work.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

The Intensity Shuttle looks the best value for something that will work. But this is starting at US$239. It also looks like it has a bunch of features for people working with film that are not needed.

Does anyone know of any simpler, and less expensive, HDMI to Thunderbolt coveters? More Thunderbolt products are being released there should be something soon at least.

Hmmmz... this device is just for capturing video from an HDMI source. And if viewing real-time video from a 360/PS3 on a Thunderbolt iMac or Thunderbolt ACD27", you'd only be able to view it in a small postage stamp preview window in Abobe, no? Not sure this will really do what you want it to do.

Last edited:

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this? Does the Intensity work w/o lag and can you preview games fullscreen on a TB display?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this? Does the Intensity work w/o lag and can you preview games fullscreen on a TB display?

I don't think the TB versions are even out yet. The Extreme shows shipping this month and the TB Shuttle some time this year.

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
You might want to try a solution like pas -> usb / fw tv tuner -> mac.
It should work quite well given that you have enough power as it's pretty cpu intensive. Not sure even if you can get 1080p out of it.
Anyways, I am going to try this out as soon as i get my new iMac, I'll let you know!

rpmucha23

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
Here's your simple solution. The Kanex XD. You can get it brand new for around $100 on Amazon.

[URL="http://www.kanexlive.com/xd"]Kanex XD Website[/URL]

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-HDMI-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter/dp/B003LGOWNQ"]Amazon Link[/URL]

----Clipping from Kanex's FAQ from their website--------

Will the Kanex XD work fine with the new iMac's (MC812B/A) via the Thunderbolt port?

Our Kanex XD requires modification to work with the new thunderbolt iMac 27-inch. We are under development of a newer version. Please look out for an announcement soon. In the mean time the Kanex XD still works for iMac 27 2009-early 2011 and also the LED Cinema Display 27-inch.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Basically no it wont work until these release a newer updated adapter, we've all been waiting for awhile

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
----Clipping from Kanex's FAQ from their website--------

Will the Kanex XD work fine with the new iMac's (MC812B/A) via the Thunderbolt port?

Our Kanex XD requires modification to work with the new thunderbolt iMac 27-inch. We are under development of a newer version. Please look out for an announcement soon. In the mean time the Kanex XD still works for iMac 27 2009-early 2011 and also the LED Cinema Display 27-inch.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Basically no it wont work until these release a newer updated adapter, we've all been waiting for awhile

Any news on it? Or is just "arriving soon"?

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

It's not coming anytime soon. Kanex has stated that Intel hasn't released the chips that would make this possible. The hope is that with the PC market soon adopting TB through Ivy Bridge that the TB market will pick up.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011

Its been "arriving soon" since the Thunderbolt Macs were released last year. It's never coming.

Blame Intel for being stingy bitches with the Thunderbolt technology. No one has any idea why they're doing it; they're simply ensuring that it will always be a novelty that never takes off.

Ugh, I'm so pissed at Apple for adopting Thunderbolt.

ombrenelcielo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Its been "arriving soon" since the Thunderbolt Macs were released last year. It's never coming.

Blame Intel for being stingy bitches with the Thunderbolt technology. No one has any idea why they're doing it; they're simply ensuring that it will always be a novelty that never takes off.

Ugh, I'm so pissed at Apple for adopting Thunderbolt.

Would an usb tv tuner work?
I guess yes with poor resolution, right?

rceee

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2007
New Orleans
Just found this as I'm moving soon and want to get rid of my 47" HDTV and use my 27" TB monitor for tv/Xbox purposes.

We can out people on the moon, etc, but we can't play a ****ing Xbox/ps3 on an apple thunderbolt display. ****ing brilliant.

**** you apple, I keep buying your crap and you keep going the way of (old) Microsoft.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
We can out people on the moon, etc, but we can't play a ****ing Xbox/ps3 on an apple thunderbolt display. ****ing brilliant.

**** you apple, I keep buying your crap and you keep going the way of (old) Microsoft.

I think you need to send some of that vitriol in Intel's direction.. there are companies that want to built the appropriate cable/adapter, but can't because Intel hasn't released a necessary component.

.. I miss the days when Intel had competition.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Can someone recommend a good monitor for console gaming, then?

I use a 32" Panasonic LED TV, and my wife uses a 32" Samsung LED TV. Both work perfectly well; the Samsung I think handles the dark a little better.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm using a 32" Viera Panasonic which is great for me. I wish I could use the iMac though so I could put the Xbox in my study. Maybe someone will release a solution soon.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This Thunderbolt nonsense is the main reason I'm not upgrading my personal 2009 27" iMac. I love hooking up devices to my iMac!

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
really..?
i read it uses usb and h264 to encode in real time...

Technical Information
Technical Specifications

Interface: USB 2.0
Input: Xbox 360 (unencrypted HDMI), PlayStation 3 (A/V In)
Output: HDMI (pass-through)
Supported resolutions: 480ip, 576p, 720p, 1080i
Dimensions: 73 × 24 × 109 mm / 2.9 × 1.0 × 4.3 in
Weight: 142g / 5 oz
What‘s in the box

Elgato Game Capture HD
Quick Start Guide
USB cable
HDMI cable
PlayStation 3 cable

System Requirements

Mac: Mac OS X 10.7, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
PC: Windows 7, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU, sound card
4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
Internet connection required to download Elgato Game Capture HD software.

what i wonder is if the encode will let you able to play in real time without lags with full screen as well
so lets look further

Last edited:

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
really..?
i read it uses usb and h264 to encode in real time...

Technical Information
Technical Specifications

Interface: USB 2.0
Input: Xbox 360 (unencrypted HDMI), PlayStation 3 (A/V In)
Output: HDMI (pass-through)
Supported resolutions: 480ip, 576p, 720p, 1080i
Dimensions: 73 × 24 × 109 mm / 2.9 × 1.0 × 4.3 in
Weight: 142g / 5 oz
What‘s in the box

Elgato Game Capture HD
Quick Start Guide
USB cable
HDMI cable
PlayStation 3 cable

System Requirements

Mac: Mac OS X 10.7, 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
PC: Windows 7, 2.0 GHz dual core CPU, sound card
4 GB RAM, built-in USB 2.0 port
Internet connection required to download Elgato Game Capture HD software.

what i wonder is if the encode will let you able to play in real time without lags with full screen as well
so lets look further
That doesn't seem like it's designed for playing on the iMac though. If you look at their diagram it shows HDMI / AV input from the PS3, HDMI output to the TV and then USB to the mac. I think all the USB does is allow the device to record on the computer it doesn't play it on the mac.

For that matter, it only comes out May 30th and will cost over $200...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.