Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The flurry of iPad 3 part leaks continues today following yesterday's interior photo of the rear shell and some follow-up photos of the exterior of the shell and the Smart Cover magnets. Among the most prominent additions today are new photos of what may be the iPad 3's display.

sharp_ipad_3_panel.jpg

Japanese blog Mac Otakara points to a posting by repair firm iLab Factory showing a 9.7-inch LCD panel from Sharp that is said to be a 2048x1536 high-resolution display set for inclusion in the iPad 3. The panel shows three ribbon cables connecting the display to its circuit board, in line with a previously-leaked photo of a claimed iPad 3 panel. The iPad 2 panel only utilizes two ribbon cables, with the additional cable on the new panel thought to be required to support its higher resolution.

A few other minor components as well as additional photos of previously-seen parts have also surfaced today, with galleries having been put together by Cult of Mac and 9to5Mac.

Apple is reportedly set to introduce the iPad 3 during the first week of March, with the first round of launches following shortly thereafter.

Article Link: High-Resolution Sharp Display Reportedly for iPad 3 Surfaces

n10797

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
It has to be said... take my money!

EDIT: Well apparently it has to be said twice :(

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
pixel dimensions? man the PSD files I'll need to xcode it up are going to keep getting larger...

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
pixel dimensions? man the PSD files I'll need to xcode it up are going to keep getting larger...

And then they'll make bigger displays with more pixels, and pixels so tiny they're not even pixels anymore!

If only everything could be vectors... without the time consuming part of making them.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Nice! I can't wait. We are maybe 4 to 5 weeks away from holding one in our hands. I always wanted a higher resolution screen on the iPad. My eyes got so used to looking at the crispy iPhone screen. Now, make the Macbook Pro (13") screen high res.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Let's organize a party for all the people with these parts to get together and build the damn thing. I'll bring pizza and some six packs.

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
finally something to get excited about...

I'm hoping that this 3rd iPad will be the game-changer. Tablets could easily sway the PC market towards it's (consumer) death. They would only need to stay for heavy computing purposes like: gaming, enterprise, entertainment production, etc. 'Average Consumers' of the internet can be satisfied with a device like this. I love living in the future! :D

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
When it rains, it pours! I have never seen so many rumors and different stories about one product in this short time period in a long time.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
So much for the rumor that sharp was out huh?

Third cable could be for dual light bar too. Probably data though.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
It's about time the rumor mill got kicked up to full speed for the iPad 3, things have been pretty boring here for a while.

Samskeyti

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
If all these rumors prove to be true (high resolution iPad, iPhone with larger screen/new form factor, and redesigned MacBooks with high resolution), then I see no reason why this won't be a record year for Apple.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
aww yeeah! it's pretty much confirmed with that "Sharp" logo. :cool:

My Credit Card is totally ready! :D

AppleMad98004

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2011
Cylde Hill, WA
Nice! I can't wait. We are maybe 4 to 5 weeks away from holding one in our hands. I always wanted a higher resolution screen on the iPad. My eyes got so used to looking at the crispy iPhone screen. Now, make the Macbook Pro (13") screen high res.

Same here! Can't wait to get one.

As for a high res Macbook screen. I am not sure about that.... Also many people think the MacBook Pro 13 will be dropped from the next redesign. Only 15-17inch Pros with the Airs taking up the rest.

Clamcake

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
From the original writeup

The original blog post over at iLab points out the possibility that this may have been a test panel from Sharp that didn't pass Apple's standards, citing the widely circulated report out of Korea saying that Sharp was out.

Immediately following that, they point to not as circuated rumour on a blog site which pretty much says the exact opposite: that LG display had difficulties and that Sharp may have recieved the bulk of iPad orders. ( http://ipad2japan.blog60.fc2.com/?tag=iPad3%C8%AF%C7%E4 )

Either way, we'll know soon enough - as iLab points out, the mere existance of an iPad-sized panel doesn't rule out or confirm Sharp as an iPad display supplier.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Like most, ever since I got my iPhone 4, I can't stand seeing the pixels on any other display. I've been holding off on getting an iPad until they up'd the resolution, looks like it will be soon.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I wonder if there will be any changes to the look of the case. The current supposed photo of the 3 case is too low-res to really tell.

I still think the iPad 1 is a more elegant design. Making the 2 thinner, and adding the rear facing camera, made the back of the case look like a war zone. The iPad 1 back is a solid, unbroken aluminum surface, interrupted only by the antenna strip on the 3G models.

Everything had to go somewhere to eliminate the middle section, but maybe things can still be cleaned up a bit.

Also: The front-facing camera on every 2 I've seen creates a slight warping of the reflections in the bezel near the hole. Warped bezel reflections drive me nuts, and is one of the reasons I prefer Sony TVs over Panasonic and others - they just look better on the wall with the rock-solid glass bezel.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If all these rumors prove to be true (high resolution iPad, iPhone with larger screen/new form factor, and redesigned MacBooks with high resolution), then I see no reason why this won't be a record year for Apple.

the stock is up to $488 and Steve Jobs is dead (an event which was supposed to make the stock price crash). It's already a record year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.