Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The original blog post over at iLab points out the possibility that this may have been a test panel from Sharp that didn't pass Apple's standards, citing the widely circulated report out of Korea saying that Sharp was out.

Immediately following that, they point to not as circuated rumour on a blog site which pretty much says the exact opposite: that LG display had difficulties and that Sharp may have recieved the bulk of iPad orders. ( http://ipad2japan.blog60.fc2.com/?tag=iPad3%C8%AF%C7%E4 )

Either way, we'll know soon enough - as iLab points out, the mere existance of an iPad-sized panel doesn't rule out or confirm Sharp as an iPad display supplier.

Whoever made the first batch of iPad1 displays did a great job, compared to the company that made the subsequent batches. There was a screen quality degradation after the initial batch.
And I have noticed that the same thing happened to the iPad 2.

Degradation in what sense? The display's color temperature was different.
- The original displays had a nice white backlight with great contrast.
- The newer displays had a different color temperature with yellowish white backlight. It was in the whole display, not just the edges as with the issue with the glue on the iPad 2.

So, for the iPad 3, I'm getting mine in the first batch just in case.

Flatlineskillz

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Had Christmas gift money at the ready since December. Come on iPad 3. Anyone know how soon before an event apple sends out invites? They must have to give people a week or two of notice before since some news outlets have to make travel plans.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Had Christmas gift money at the ready since December. Come on iPad 3. Anyone know how soon before an event apple sends out invites? They must have to give people a week or two of notice before since some news outlets have to make travel plans.

For big, stand-alone product launches (If I recall correctly), the notice for an event has rarely been more than a week and often less than a week. If it's taking place as a keynote during another event then obviously you know about the event well in advance.

I have cash in hand....held off on the iPad for too long now, ready to join the bandwagon after seeing the alternatives prove to be sub-par.

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Money in hand waiting for the taking. iPad 1 has served me well since 2010 and is ready to be handed down permanently to the wife and kids.

Come on iPad 3!!!:)

zoetmb

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
If all these rumors prove to be true (high resolution iPad, iPhone with larger screen/new form factor, and redesigned MacBooks with high resolution), then I see no reason why this won't be a record year for Apple.

And the stock is reflecting that, up another 3.84% at 12:55pm EST to 495. I own the stock, but I sure wish I never sold other shares I had years ago. We could see $500 a share later today or certainly on Monday unless the rumors are debunked.

Hell..on most of my stocks, I'd be happy these days with 3.84% per year!!

----------

Whoever made the first batch of iPad1 displays did a great job, compared to the company that made the subsequent batches. There was a screen quality degradation after the initial batch.

- The newer displays had a different color temperature with yellowish white backlight. It was in the whole display, not just the edges as with the issue with the glue on the iPad 2.

It probably has less to do with which batch than with who supplied the display. I've always wondered how Apple can control for a consistent picture quality when they source screens from different manufactuers.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
If they pull this off for the same or less price points, the competitors are in big trouble.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

Most of iPad 1 displays were supplied by LG AFAIK. Samsung supplied some later but it was still mostly LG. Ironically with iPad 2, it was LG panels that had the light leak problem but if I remember correctly other than the light leak the LG panels still looked slightly better than CMI and Samsung panels. I could be wrong in the last part though.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Most of iPad 1 displays were supplied by LG AFAIK. Samsung supplied some later but it was still mostly LG. Ironically with iPad 2, it was LG panels that had the light leak problem but if I remember correctly other than the light leak the LG panels still looked slightly better than CMI and Samsung panels. I could be wrong in the last part though.

I noticed this when my iPad 1 had a problem and I took it to the Apple Store for warranty exchange. The replacement they brought to me had a lower quality display; they even took three more out of the box, and all had the same lower quality issue. The one on display was as good as mine.
I even went back several months later and it was the same quality issue with their newer replacements. And all had newer serial numbers.

ckoerner

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
What does 2048x1536 look like?

For fun, I put together a little chart comparing the reported resolution on the iPad 3 to other iOS devices.

My first PC had a 800x600 resolution. I thought that was impressive!

jhills38

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2012
Fake?

Why do I get the feeling that these leaked parts are part of Apple's plan for the iPad 3? There's no way that this many parts get leaked from an Apple supplier!

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Display color temperature is not indicative of display "quality" or "degradation". It is merely a slightly different calibration style. Different manufacturers (Samsung, LG, etc..) have slightly different styles.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Money in hand waiting for the taking. iPad 1 has served me well since 2010 and is ready to be handed down permanently to the wife and kids.

Come on iPad 3!!!:)

I'm right behind you. iPad 1 is ready for an upgrade. Girlfriend is already eyeing it as a hand-me-down.

Any chance this thing has an LTE chip in it? The battery might be big enough to support that and still be to Apple's standards.

Mawdryn

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Mesa, AZ
For fun, I put together a little chart comparing the reported resolution on the iPad 3 to other iOS devices.

My first PC had a 800x600 resolution. I thought that was impressive!

Let's not forget the 320x240 screen of the original iPod Video (and the 3G & 4G Nanos, and still on the Classic). I watched hundereds (probably thousands) of hours of video on that thing and thought it was the most awesome thing I'd ever seen. It's amazing how far displays have come in just the past few years.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice to see the SHARP display making it!! Nice Display :)

Hopefully SHARP on the 42" Apple TV as well. Although my money is on Toshiba for the ATV 42". :apple:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For big, stand-alone product launches (If I recall correctly), the notice for an event has rarely been more than a week and often less than a week.

Last year's ipad2 announcement invites were sent out 2/23, a week before the announcement (3/2). In the US it went on sale on 3/11 online overnight then in-store that afternoon. There was no pre-order.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Count me in

I own an iPad1 but gave a new iPad2 to my mom as a gift.
This one will be mine at the earliest possible online order day.

I've read somewhere, and I really tried hard to find it, that the difference in colour temperature is caused by different batches of LEDs for the background illumination.

It's relatively easy to produce working crystal displays, but it's hard to illuminate them evenly.

Unfortunately I cannot find the article. The next big thing will be multi-colored LEDs for the backlight, because white LED's (single color) change their temperature over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.