Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Welcome to the Fortnightly Challenge

The purpose of the Challenge is to provide a venue where photographers of all skill levels can work to improve their craft by shooting along a common topic for two weeks - one fortnight. Helpful comments and critiques are key to reaching the intended goal - better photography.

About Your Photos

Shoot for the topics listed on the schedule. You may shoot for upcoming topics, but post photos only to their matching Challenges. Try to avoid using photos from your archives just for participations sake. If you really want input on an older image that fits the Challenge topic, please let us see it.

You may post as many photos as you wish for any one Challenge.

About Your Comments

Comments are critical to the success of the Challenge. If you post a photo, add a comment to another one. If you are only viewing, please add your comments, too.

Comments should be meaningful, something that the photographer can use to improve his/her work. Explain why you like or dislike a photo. Spend a moment looking at a photo before commenting on it. Try to answer the question "I like this photo because…" It really helps the photographer.

Note: This is a special edition of the Fortnightly Challenge. Topics based on accepted photography guidelines will be supplemented with user suggested topics. For more on the basic rules of good photography look at this link:

10 Top Photography Composition Rules

The Topic Schedule

• Viewpoint January 26 - February 8
  • Geometry February 9 - 22
  • Background Depth February 23 - March 7

Dale

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst it's not something I shot specifically for this it was shot in the last couple of months and is part of my ongoing attempts to learn how to shoot film on an old Leica M3. I think this was off the first roll of film I ever shot (and I've only shot 3 now)

Untitled by r0bbieduncan, on Flickr

Kodak Tri-X 400, Leica M3, Leica 50mm Summicron with Close Focusing Range, Leicameter MR. Scanned on an Epson V700

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
5515521533_fac355fc49_z.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Both have triangle themes...

/clip/

Transamerica Four Triangles by Paul Kohler, on Flickr
Interesting combinations of shapes in this image. I usually don't like centered images, but the different tones in the right and left sky make this work.

IMG_0738.JPG by ndpuckhead, on Flickr

I'm just a rookie, but here goes. I want to learn, so feel free to critique my photo. I took it with an old Rebel XT.
I like the contrasts set up between the sky and the building. Fluid and moody and static and unforgiving. If I were to frame this, I would give the top right of the building a bit more room so that the top of the stairway isn't cut off.

Geo Building..;)

6872552333_189312f564_z.jpg
Nice combination of verticals and slanted lines. I like the way that you framed the vertical parallel to the left of the frame and allowed the sloping angle of the roof to stay inside the frame. This keeps the sky from being cut into two sections.

Nice photos from all. Keep up the good work!

Dale

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa

UltimaMC

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2011
This is the Ray and Maria Stata Center for Computer, Information, and Intelligence Sciences at MIT in Cambridge.

DSC_4793.jpg

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

This is the Ray and Maria Stata Center for Computer, Information, and Intelligence Sciences at MIT in Cambridge.

DSC_4793.jpg

Geometrical , yet strangely warped .

warpedbuilding.jpg

5D2 , 24-105@47 , f5@80 , iso 1250 , polarizer

Three really interesting samples of geometry in buildings. My wife is a psychiatric nurse, so the "Lunatic Asylum" term bugs me, but I know it's what they called this building.

I lived in Boston in the '70s and knew MIT grad students involved in what was then called artificial intelligence. They were recreational dopers and completive frisbee players, so the design of this building doesn't surprise me at all.

Very interesting photos from all.

Dale

Last edited:

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The next thread will go up tomorrow my time. Background and Depth got mixed together and should be either seperate or as an either/or title. Look at the applications in the link below and let me know what you think.

Photo Rules Link

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.