Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the most frequent reasons for an iPhone to go on a trip to the Apple Store's Genius Bar is because of water damage. Typically, a water damaged iPhone can be replaced for a flat $199 fee, though with the recently launched AppleCare+, that price can be reduced to $49.

Most ultra-durable iPhone cases, like Otterbox's Defender or Case Mate's TANK, are merely water-resistant -- not actually water proof. They might protect an iPhone during a rainstorm, but they can't handle a dunk in the pool or -- perhaps more likely -- a drop in the toilet.

lifeproofcase.jpg

LifeProof's iPhone case, however, promises otherwise. The manufacturer claims the case is Waterproof, Dirtproof, Snowproof, and Shockproof -- the video below demonstrates the waterproof claim. The case completely covers the iPhone, using rubber gaskets around each seal to ensure a tight fit. There is an removable screw that plugs the headphone jack, allowing easy access to that port when necessary. LifeProof also sells an adapter that allows waterproof headphones to be hooked up for use while swimming.

It's not for those who like to switch cases frequently, however. The installation manual warns that the gaskets have a limited lifespan and the case shouldn't be removed and reinstalled more than a few dozen times. Further, the installation process is a bit of a pain -- before it is installed, LifeProof recommends that the case be put underwater for an hour, to ensure that there are no leaks in the gaskets.

The $79 LifeProof case comes in black, white, pink and purple. It is available from LifeProof's online store.

Article Link: LifeProof iPhone Case Offers Protection Against Water and Shock Damage

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I wonder how the mic and speaker function through a case thick and durable enough to be waterproof. If they work well, this could make for a great underwater HD camera!

trogdorDR

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Awesome

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I wonder how the mic and speaker function through a case thick and durable enough to be waterproof. If they work well, this could make for a great underwater HD camera!

It actually works quite well. I have the case in white for my 4s. I used it when we went out playing in the snow. The video looks great with good sound. I was able to take a phone call without any trouble hearing the person on the other end, and didnt get any comments about sounding muffled. You have to push a little more firmly on the touch screen, but thats a small price to pay. The external speakers still work great, and although I had to turn it up a bit louder than normal, everything could be heard clearly. The sound seems to resonate off of the back of the case a little bit. Overall, best case I ever had.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL COMPANY ITS DISTRIBUTORS OR SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOSS OF VALUE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED IN OR WITH THE PRODUCT, OR LOSS OF USE OF THE PRODUCT OR ANY THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS THAT ARE USED IN OR WITH THE PRODUCT, EVEN IF COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. COMPANY HAS NO LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE OR DESTRUCTION TO CONSUMER ELECTRONICS DEVICES OR OTHER PERSONAL PROPERTY THAT ARE IN THE PRODUCTS, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LAPTOPS, CELLULAR PHONES, OR OTHER HANDHELD DEVICES, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA CONTAINED IN THE FOREGOING DEVICES, ETC. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY DAMAGES THAT YOU MIGHT INCUR FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL DAMAGES REFERENCED HEREIN AND ALL DIRECT OR GENERAL DAMAGES IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR OTHERWISE), THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF COMPANY AND ANY OF ITS DISTRIBUTORS AND/OR SUPPLIERS SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE PRODUCT. SOME STATES AND/OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

I'd still worry.

chainprayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Good to know that if I'm strolling through a power substation and get fried, my apps will be safe.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is pretty old news

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I wonder how cell reception is 10 feet under water.... I would assume that the water kills the radio signals big time.

willed

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2007
I'd be interested to hear views on this or any competing cases from owners - I'm hoping to use my 4S as an underwater camera on a holiday soon and am looking for the best case. This lifeproof one looks pretty good.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder how cell reception is 10 feet under water.... I would assume that the water kills the radio signals big time.

The water in your body kills the signal the iPhone gets if you hold it "wrong". Given submerging it in water is like holding it in every way possible all at once, it'll probably "death grip" it in dozens of ways at once. You'll get no signal at all.

KamuiVII

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
I have LifeProof cases on my iPhone and my wifes. Works as well as you'd expect for the phone being actually 'encased' in plastic.

People dont have a problem hearing me, but opening up the port where the charger goes greatly improves mic quality. Also doing so greatly increases the speakers. The touch screen is a bit laggy on the edges as the plastic film above it doesn't hug the screen but just sits slightly above it. To me, worth the $80, but I dont see myself submerging it anytime soon but its worth the protection just in case.

also the edges of the case is rubber so it does protect it from drops decently as I have dropped my phone several times from about hip or jacket pocket level and no damage.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
The water in your body kills the signal the iPhone gets if you hold it "wrong". Given submerging it in water is like holding it in every way possible all at once, it'll probably "death grip" it in dozens of ways at once. You'll get no signal at all.

I... don't think that's right. Water doesn't interfere with cell signals. It's water. The death grip is because your body is somewhat conductive and you "bridge the gap" between the two antennas if you touch it in a certain way. With this case, the phone will not come in contact with the water (which may or may not be conductive anyway), and therefore shouldn't be affected.

EDIT: I am incorrect.

Last edited:

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Dude, watch the video clip. Pretty cool stuff. I think I see this case arriving in my future or at least before my Jamaica trip.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It is recommended to place the device in water for approximately one hour to ensure proper case installation? Hmmm, that's a pretty big risk as any number of issues may arise, such as a slight defect in a particular case that went unnoticed. As their company policy states they take no responsibility if something should occur (understandable), I'd pass. I'm sure it would be a very minimal possibility, but one none the less. :)

EDIT: Stand corrected, as someone pointed out, the CASE should be tested WITHOUT the iPhone. Next time I'll read more thoroughly lol :eek:

Last edited:

trogdorDR

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Should note that the multitouch doesn't work underwater.

It does (kinda) if you leave a bit of an "air bubble" between the screen and the plastic. But being able to use the Vol Up button to snap a picture is way easier to do than fumble with the screen.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
But then there's Liquipel, that also waterproofs the iPhone without a case! I hope that Apple uses the technology in future products, that would be pretty cool!

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I have this case, and it works great. The only negative is that the front screen feels a little bit apart from the screen. I wish they would have had one that stuck onto the screen like a screen protector. And I think the Pelican case method of accessing the sync port is a little more secure. You can open up the bottom door to plug it in to sync and charge, and you can get a screw-in headphone adapter to listen to music where it might get wet. The big problem is if the bottom door came open when underwater...

I will try it out when I get to a beach to see how well it takes pictures underwater.

And they need to get some more armbands in stock, but I would definitely purchase this case again. It is nice that it is a good size and all the buttons work.

I would like to see them add an optional floating strap for when I am kayaking to clip it in and protect it from sinking. I might be able to modify it to add that however. They do have a good bike mount.

dflowerz

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
I have been using one of these cases for quite a few months and overall it's great. Downsides are slightly added bulk, having to screw in the special headphone adapter, and horrible results trying to use the speakerphone. I bought this because I accidentally killed my 3Gs when I was riding a motorcycle in the rain and had the phone in a supposedly waterproof pocket. I got home and the phone was soaked and very dead. Now there are no issues here in rainy Seattle. I use the phone outdoors in the rain and never have to worry about water damage, so for me this case is fantastic despite the few small issues.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
My coworker bought this months ago, and I don't see the point, i mean even the otter box (which he had before this) and tank add significant water resistance, but I have to say that the iPhone 4/4s is pretty damn water "resistant" on it's own

I had mine in my front shirt pocket (with no case or screen protector) and bent down to kiss my wife (who was taking a bubble bath) goodbye. Phone slipped out of my pocket and into the tub behind her and we spent quite a few seconds getting her up and out of the way then trying to find and grab onto the phone under the soapy water. Pulled phone out and it was still on and working perfectly. The only thing that happened was there was a small bubble or something on the camera lens for about a week but it finally went away.

6 months later I screwed up the phone by unplugging it during an itunes restore and the phone would not connect to iTunes properly again so the Apple store checked it out and replaced it for free. They apparently could not tell it had been submerged in water at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.