Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gio619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Right

bought a macbook battery wasn't holding a charge

bought a new battery and it doesn't want to hold a charge

bought a new charger and still nothing

my macbook says that its not charging and that the macbook turns off instantly when its disconnected

however when i go into the power options it says that its installed and that its fully charged

it also says condition - check battery

HELP!!!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Right
bought a macbook battery wasn't holding a charge
bought a new battery and it doesn't want to hold a charge
bought a new charger and still nothing
my macbook says that its not charging and that the macbook turns off instantly when its disconnected
however when i go into the power options it says that its installed and that its fully charged
it also says condition - check battery
If it shows "Check Battery" that indicates your battery may be dying or defective. Where did you buy the battery? What year is your MacBook? Try resetting the SMC. If that doesn't help, you may have a problem with your logic board.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

gio619

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Well its a 2006 - 2008 model and I have reset the smc already

Its appears to charge very briefly ans then cut out but it only does this on occasion

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
EBay is where I bought it
That's what I suspected. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

bbh1031

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
I have ran into an issue where it wouldn't charge any battery I put in there. Luckily in my situation, it was not the logic board. It was the fact that somehow the wire that runs from the battery charging port of the computer to the logic board had somehow wiggled loose. I had taken the keyboard off to have a look inside trying to diagnose the problem. Securing it back into place resolved that issue. Might consider it if you're comfortable removing your Macbook's keyboard. The keyboard can be delicate and cracks easily upon removal if it's the original one. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.