Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report from AllThingsD earlier today claiming that Apple will introduce the iPad 3 in the first week of March, The New York Times is now weighing in with its own sources corroborating claims of a faster processor and a "truly amazing" screen in a package nearly identical in appearance to the iPad 2.
An Apple employee said that the version of the new iPad that is being tested inside the company is "essentially the same size and shape as the iPad 2," with an improved and "truly amazing" screen. The tablet will include a faster processor, said the employee, who did not want to be identified because Apple is not fond of leaks.
The claims line up with a number of previous rumors about the iPad 3's improvements, with a high-resolution display being one of the most highly-anticipated upgrades for the new device. Earlier today, photos of a Sharp display claimed to be for the iPad 3 also surfaced, although the screen's resolution can not be verified from the photos.

ipad_2_ipad_3_displays-500x370.jpg

Side-by-side comparison of iPad 2 and claimed iPad 3 displays (Source: iLab Factory)

Indications that the iPad 3 will be nearly identical in appearance to the iPad 2 are also supported by recent photo leaks showing the rear shell of the device inside and out.

Article Link: iPad 3 to Have 'Truly Amazing' Screen

• Wow
Reactions: Jhonjhon236

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
We seem to be getting all the iPad 3 rumors out of the way in one day here! What more can we possibly learn about this from now to the beginning March??

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Interesting. So does this being a Sharp screen mean their fancy new-fangled IGZO screen technology worked out and we won't have a dual light bar setup?

For those interested

https://www.semiconportal.com/en/archive/news/main-news/sharp-to-introduce-new-igzo-te.html

If a transistor in each pixel of a panel becomes smaller, the panel lets more light pass. This advantage translates into lower power consumption and higher resolution. Sharp reported a reduction in power consumption of about 33% for a 10-inch-wide prototype panel compared to an equivalent panel with amorphous-silicon TFTs.

And for the nerds

The IGZO transistors feature electron mobility 20-30 times higher than that of amorphous-silicon thin-film transistors.

This means the transistors can be much smaller and move the same amount of current, hence the above. E

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
lets be honest, nothing posted has been an surprise, you can predict better CPU and screen, the screen is almost a given for the 3, nothing really sup rising here, you can almost guarantee that apple with keep the 2 and drop the price and use the 3gs - 4 model and sell both.

not rocket science

bTaryag

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Apple is smart enough to realize that in order for an increase in screen resolution to work well, they must quadruple the amount of pixels. Anything less would either mean that old apps won't be full screen or will have to be scaled and won't look clear.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
"Truly amazing..."? Now that Steve's gone I have to get my crappy superlatives from generic "Apple employee" guy?

Last edited by a moderator:

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Maybe Apple should sell iPad assembly kits since all the parts are available before launch lol.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The iPhone 4S Retina screen is sharp, but one thing I've been disappointed with is the black levels, and this includes the current iPad screens. The black level is very high (i.e. what should be "black" is actually "gray"). This reduces color saturation and contrast and is very noticeable in darkened lighting situations (for example, try reading an iBook in the dark with the "night" theme and turning the screen brightness down). Some of this is backlight leakage around the screen edges and some may just be the nature of the LED technology they're using. Would really love to see closer to true blacks on these screens.

And, it would also be great if you could somehow color calibrate these screens, they tend to ship too blue out of the factory, as most screens do. As iPads are being used for more complex applications, the need for better color criticality is increasing. iPads are increasingly being used for content creation and display. For example, showing clients your photographs or artwork. Obviously you want your work to look as good as possible, something Apple should understand. A lot of people won't need to or want to calibrate their iPad screen, but it would be great for Apple to open a way to do it you you are someone who wants or needs that functionality. Even downloading a separate color calibration app would be fine with me, and Apple doesn't even need to create it, they just need to provide the API for it and storing those settings.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
John Gruber essentially confirmed Retina display, A6 processor and more RAM on his Talk Show podcast this afternoon. It will look the same as iPad 2 with current accessories and cases compatible.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I'd be happy with only 4G LTE and a screen that is not YELLOW tinged, which my last 3 iDevices were. Retina and faster would just be bonuses. And yeah, throw in 128 GB for the ultimate.

Tony

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
We seem to be getting all the iPad 3 rumors out of the way in one day here! What more can we possibly learn about this from now to the beginning March??
we need a good leak as to what kind of camera it has.. just "better" doesn't do it for me.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
"who did not want to be identified because Apple is not fond of leaks."

haha smart guy

I was just wondering what the incentive would be to make a comment like this.

Seems to me that Apple does leak from time-to-time. Anyone at Apple with the clearance to see the device, and willing to speak to the press, may be doing so for a tactical reason.

Renzatic

Suspended
It damn well better have a retina display. Right now, I have $700 held back for an iPad. The only reason I haven't gone out and bought an iPad 2 is because of all the rumors surrounding the iPad 3. If it doesn't have retina, I'll be soooo maaaaad. :mad:

"What we meant by 'amazing screen' is that the colors are, like, really good. I mean look at these colors!. They're really good"!

....soooo maaaaad :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.