Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Just use VLC. I really hate the bullcrap copyright holders push on users.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Is there anyway to capture a screenshot of a streaming movie, or iTunes trailer played on your mac? I've tried using Grab, Shift, Command and 3 and quicktime screen recording, but always end up with the movie portion being blanked out. I assume its because of protected video settings?

Shift, Command and 3 won't work, but Shift, Command and 4 does.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
DRM-enabled movies, i.e. the vast majority purchased on iTunes, appear to be blocked when it comes to taking screen grabs in Mountain Lion. Since this happens at a low level under control of the operating system, it's extremely unlikely that you'll find any kind of app or command shortcut for Mountain Lion that will take screen grabs of this kind of movie.

People who say this works or that works are most likely talking about movies that are not protected by DRM.

I have to say that I find this to be extremely annoying, since I often take screen grabs from movies for review or discussion purposes (which I understand falls well within fair use policy). This is a million miles from copying a movie. Needless to say, I don't take such screen grabs on my Mac on Mountain Lion, because I can't.

Luckily other ways remain. Whilst highly inconvenient, you can still take such screen grabs (today at least) on an iPad.

In my opinion, Apple should drop this stupid restriction, as it's not really doing anything to protect anyone's rights; it's just an inconvenience for film buffs.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
People who say this works or that works are most likely talking about movies that are not protected by DRM.
Or people saying this works are using an earlier version of Mac OS X, when this did work. You can still accomplish the same thing by making a screen capture from Screen Sharing or other remote desktop app.

bandarbush

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
In my opinion, Apple should drop this stupid restriction, as it's not really doing anything to protect anyone's rights; it's just an inconvenience for film buffs.

I regret that I have but only a single upvote to give you. You're legal analysis is spot on. I would add that a screen cap of any film is undoubtedly fair use, particularly when you add something to it like a funny comment (ie parodying the film).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thread revival
I recently tried to take a screenshot of a commercial movie and it comes up blank. Apps like Snapz Pro and Grab used to be able to do this. Should I assume for the sake of stopping piracy, that Apple has put into place barriers to taking screenshots of movies in MacOSX? Is there a way around this. Not trying to record video, just take a screenshot.
Thanks!

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Thread revival
I recently tried to take a screenshot of a commercial movie and it comes up blank. Apps like Snapz Pro and Grab used to be able to do this. Should I assume for the sake of stopping piracy, that Apple has put into place barriers to taking screenshots of movies in MacOSX? Is there a way around this. Not trying to record video, just take a screenshot.
Thanks!
You may have to find a way to download this vid.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Please clarify, I don't understand. I'm not asking to download a video, but to take a screenshot of a movie that I own on DVD, being played on Apple's DVD Player app..
What if you Copy/drag the vid file to you HD and them play it in VLC player then take the screenshot within Vlc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.