Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paratel

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2005
Somewhere in the US
Below is my usage. I have yet to get a throttling warning. I am on the unlimited data plan and live in Chattanooga, TN. I stream a lot of movies via AirVideo and HBO Go.

Attachments

• usage.jpg
    usage.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 102

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
photo 1.PNG

photo 2.PNG

Here is my data usage chart form AT&T. The graph looks different because I could not save the image from my work PC, I had to use my iphone to access the website and take a screen shot of the graph. This is how the graph looks if you use your iPhone to access the AT&T site. USe your own iPhone to varify that I did not falsify this graph. The trend says that I am tracking to use 12 gig of data in February. The second photo is a screen shot of my AT&T iPhone app that allows you to pay your bill, track your minutes and data, etc. It say that I only have used about 850MB in 8 days. I have only used 850MB in I'm over 25% into my billing period. At that rate I will only use about 3.5 gig (that given a 32 day month which obviously is erring in favor of AT&T.

So where do they get 12 gigs of data used? Is this how they determine who will get throttled or is in the top 5%? My billing period starts on the 2nd and ends on the 1st. Am I missing some peice of the puzzle? I did use about 12 gigs in billing period between January 2 and February 1.

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
So where do they get 12 gigs of data used? Is this how they determine who will get throttled or is in the top 5%? My billing period starts on the 2nd and ends on the 1st. Am I missing some peice of the puzzle? I did use about 12 gigs in billing period between January 2 and February 1.

location pls

you'd get a txt message from death star with a warning

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I received my first throttling notice today. Data usage is at 5.246gb which is a bit higher then normal for me, but I have worked on the road most of the month. Am I reading everyone's post correctly and it's usually at least another 1gb before they are actually throttled? My family and I are making a trip this weekend to visit the in laws and my wife would usually stream pandora. At least my billing cycle ends on the 16th. Also, I am in the central Mississippi area.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just sell your iPhone, at least it will cover the ETF. I'm pretty much done with ATT as well, my sister and i bought our dad a 4S for his bday and gave it to him at dinner. We called ATT to activate it. Guess what? There's no customer service agents at 7pm on a saturday. I even called up apple to ask them if there are any special phone numbers att uses for these situations. The head customer service guy said he would dig around and try to find something, he called me back and said he was shocked to tell me there's no possible way ATT could activate my phone that night. What if there's an emergency? Verizon customer service is available 24/7. I hate ATT, and i was a VERY loyal customer.

How unreasonable. AT&T doesn't make their reps work 24 hours a day! What if there is an emergency? You can still dial 911 out from your the phone even if it's not activated...

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
How unreasonable. AT&T doesn't make their reps work 24 hours a day! What if there is an emergency? You can still dial 911 out from your the phone even if it's not activated...

A national phone company should have reps available 24 hours a day. Hell, my CABLE COMPANY has reps available 24 hours a day. Yes, it's unreasonable and i expect a better level of service than that. And for this reason i will be switching to verizon.

And no, i could not dial 911. It had NO SERVICE. It was basically an iPod touch. The emergency i was referring to was what if a business customer who depends on their phone needs to activate it in the evening and they can't, and there are many situations where this can happen. That's unacceptable from a company like AT&T, they're not exactly a mom and pop phone company.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
A national phone company should have reps available 24 hours a day.

I guess I disagree. BUT... for the record, ATT does have reps available, just not necessarily at the standard "I need to activate a new phone" number.

The phone should still dial out, even without a sim card. You may not see bars, but 911 should work, unless you are literally in a no reception area, in which case that's not ATT's fault anyway, and simply activating the phone wouldn't help the matter.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
A national phone company should have reps available 24 hours a day. Hell, my CABLE COMPANY has reps available 24 hours a day. Yes, it's unreasonable and i expect a better level of service than that. And for this reason i will be switching to verizon.

The only reason a phone company should have a rep ready for 24h is when the rep is the one responsible for blocking stolen phones sim cards.

Otherwise its simply rubbish... on average it takes about a day for the sim to activate from the day you got it delivered or bought it from the store-at least in Denmark.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Otherwise its simply rubbish... on average it takes about a day for the sim to activate from the day you got it delivered or bought it from the store-at least in Denmark.

Not in the US.

I guess I disagree. BUT... for the record, ATT does have reps available, just not necessarily at the standard "I need to activate a new phone" number.

No, they literally didn't have ANY type of reps available. I could not speak to a live person no matter which number i called.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No, they literally didn't have ANY type of reps available. I could not speak to a live person no matter which number i called.

No, the business line reps are available 24/7. I guarantee this. They will likely still help you, however it is not a number they tend to just give out (if you are on a business type line the standard 611 dial out from your mobile line will reach this branch automatically). My fiance has an accommodations line (I think that's what they call it) through Best Buy. We have used the number to call for my mother's account as well (hers was standard until she canceled the end of this last year to be added to our much cheaper plan). Whether they would activate a phone, is another story, but simple questions, such as billing, they will help you with.

----------

The only reason a phone company should have a rep ready for 24h is when the rep is the one responsible for blocking stolen phones sim cards.

This is America son. We want what we want, when we want it, or else we are going to be upset and talk ish about the company. It's that way with EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
This is America son. We want what we want, when we want it, or else we are going to be upset and talk ish about the company. It's that way with EVERYTHING.

Sorry for stating my opinion dad :rolleyes: btw ever heard patience is a virtue

magicbrain

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
Read

Errr, dudes, getting of a subject? Read the title of the post "throttling MAP"

Back to the subject of THIS thread,
seems that RURAL areas do not get throttled at 2gb: CT, TX, OH, UT
(which seems against logic, but then again: cities have more wifi, people are in offices, most of the day, etc)

Has anybody tired to change their market to one of those yet?
(unfortunately you most likely need to change your number to accomplish this, but you can port you existing number to google voice for free.
See my tips on how to do it, on the 1st page of this thread)

Last edited:

darkwind

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
The moment I am throttled once this is what I am going to do.

1. At night I will begin uploading 2gigs of pictures and video a night to dropbox. This is so numerically speaking, if people did this, the mythical "5%" will go up, not down, as AT&T wants it to

2. I will call. Being firm and professional, escalating my call and taking people's names, documenting my calls.

3. I will send a certified letter explaining my issue and how they can resolve my issue, being firm and polite, to the CEO.

4. (This may be done after or at the same time as he former.) Complaints to the FCC and the BBB, mainly for false marketing of their "unlimited" plan and lack of customer transparency in the process of throttling.

5. I will cancel my service, with or without the ETF, when the iPhone 5 comes out. I am hoping that the minimum AT&T wil do for me is waive this, since they have greatly reduced the amount of bandwidth available to me, and I am a long time customer.

6. I may or may not pay the ETF. Each time a collection effort is made I may challenge the validity of the debt using the reduced bandwidth clause in their TOS, printed out with screen shots from my phone and a letter.

Oh, I'm in the Cleveland, OH area and I recieved my warning message on 1/30/12, by using 6gb. This amount doesn't bother me, but it's the slippery slope leading to 2gb or less that bothers me.

Sully5000

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
From 6.2mbps to 0.08mbps my phone is a brick now thanks

Last two months I got throttled at 12gigs almost exactly that number so I assumed I had some time. NOPE. this is the 14th of the month and I'm at 4.2 and I've been throttled. Awesome 2 and a half weeks with basically no data on my phone. I'm in southern CT

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
For those without the unlimited data plan and you get throttled...

Perhaps if everyone would change their data plan to 2 GB instead of 5 or 10 GB, paying less, AT&T will get the message when they see their bottom line ($) going down hill, they might make some changes. Or at least you can hurt them in the pocket book causing them some sleepless nights.

Just a thought....;) :D

Those with the unlimited. Get out when you can. Same bottom line. It will hurt them

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Got a warning at 5.3GB. Columbia, SC. First warning ever and I usually average about 10GB/month, since 2009. Thought I was in the clear. Oh well. This seems ridiculous and unfair. How can they have a 3GB plan for the same price and throttle Unlimited customers beginning at 2GB?

I hope somebody figures out a way to fight this. Unfortunately, I think we're in the minority and won't receive much sympathy. One thing I do know, if the next iPhone is LTE I won't be on AT&T anymore.

BigCiX

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
I was throttled at 2.1 gigs last billing cycle. Today is the first day of my new cycle. Currently I'm at work where we do have access to wifi and I've been on my phone since I got here. I'm at 130 MB of data used but will be back on wifi here in a few hours (home). If I get throttled again this month at 1.5 gigs or 2 gigs I swear on Muhammad's yellow earth I will constantly play Power 106 radio app everynight until at&ts towers blow the hell up!

Bakersfield, Ca

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Is everyone who is being throttled on the unlimited data plan?

Or are some being throttled on the 3GB plans as well?

I'm on unlimited, haven't yet received a message or been noticeably throttled. I vary between 2-4 GB a month. Located in the twin cities, MN.

Last edited:

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Does anyone know if this throttling policy applies to iPad owners with unlimited data

I'm curious about that...

I have both an iphone and ipad and would be more likely to use more data on the ipad. I'm just wondering if they are doing this on the ipad w/unlimited as well.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Errr, dudes, getting of a subject? Read the title of the post "throttling MAP"

Back to the subject of THIS thread,
seems that RURAL areas do not get throttled at 2gb: CT, TX, OH, UT
(which seems against logic, but then again: cities have more wifi, people are in offices, most of the day, etc)

Has anybody tired to change their market to one of those yet?
(unfortunately you most likely need to change your number to accomplish this, but you can port you existing number to google voice for free.
See my tips on how to do it, on the 1st page of this thread)

Tell you the truth it does make sense that the rural areas are not getting throttled.

Each tower has a limited amount of spectrum. That spectrum roughly the same range for every tower. Now the range on a given tower will varry as the city towers have a much shorter range as they get max out much quicker so more towers are needed.

The rural towers have a lot of unused specturm on it so data hogs are not causing any real issue on them. City towers on the other hand are straining more under normal load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.