Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
For once MacRumors did not say "X unreleased Apple product will have X feature". MacRumors just said "assuming it has".

Well done. Hope this is not a one off. And all the future articles can be like this. I don't have any high hopes of this happening though. But hey we all could be pleasantly surprised with some better worded articles in the future. That'd be nice.

Maybe just for once an article about some software update without "weighs in at" that would be nice too.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
YouTube 4k will actually have a use. 1080p wont be enough to use all the pixels.

Problem is that my 3G won't be able to stream anywhere near that fast. :(

Games aside, what content is there to take advantage of that display?

Or developers could think "Now that there is a device capable of supporting such a high resolution, I can now design for it." It's a chicken and egg question really, someone has to start the ball rolling, and Apple is that someone. :)

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I wouldn't say that it's wasted on an iPad. I mean if you look at the difference between the iPhone 3Gs screen and the iPhone 4 screen, you can see that it's not wasted.

I'm pretty sure that super high resolution or (retina displays) will make their way onto the laptops pretty soon. However producing a panel of this quality is no easy thing to do, and it's much easier at smaller sizes. Don't forget that it's also a LOT more pixels for the graphics card to handle.

Personally i would like to see this DPI on all the apple products, imagine it on a 27" iMac!

I'm sure it will come, just not quite yet.

I still say it's a waste. I was never really "wow"ed by the iPhone 4 display, my 200 DPI Titan does the job just as well. Yes, it's a cool thing to boast, and show off, but at the end of the day I'd rather have a high-res desktop where the extra pixels actually go towards something useful. Although I guess my opinion is a bit slanted because I don't think the iPad is a particularly useful device in the first place. To each his own. I'd still love this resolution on my next laptop.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Do people honestly think this is going to happen :confused:

If it did ship with a 2048x1546 display, then it would be capable of rendering images at a higher resolution than all video game consoles currently on the market.

However, game developers already struggle to produce games that run at 1920x1080 due to the power of the consoles - are people seriously saying that they think iPad 3 will have a better CPU and GPU than PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360?

Games aside, what content is there to take advantage of that display?

Umm, anything with text? Bear in mind that the iPad is a computer, not a games console, and spends a large chunk of its time rendering text in one form or another. Higher dpi displays can make a huge difference to legibility and, thus, ease of use. Real world example: iPhone 3GS I have to put my glasses on to read 'normal' size text. iPhone 4 I don't. Plus this is effectively going to be the standard iPad resolution for, effectively, the next few years so as processor and GPU power increases you'll see more and more benefit from it when it comes to games if that's your primary concern.

Anyway, what I actually came here to say was this: Really looking forward to this for a lot of reasons but there's one thought that keeps coming back to me. I got my first PC about 15 years ago and I still clearly remember the delight in going from my Packard Bell bundled monitor to a 15" Sony Trinitron with a resolution of 1280 x 1024. A few years later I ended up with a gorgeous 21" hi-res monitor (still CRT remember) that weighed about as much as the moon and needed some seriously beefy system specs to get the most out of. The idea that just over a decade later we could have a screen with a higher resolution than that 21" beast in a 10" battery-powered form factor less than 10cm thick would have been laughable. I have a suspicion that, if this is indeed what's delivered in a few weeks time, when I get my hands on one I'm going to have a serious flashback moment... :D

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
I still say it's a waste. I was never really "wow"ed by the iPhone 4 display, my 200 DPI Titan does the job just as well.
That's not even funny man. I can't comprehend how people can complain about this. I think anyone downplaying the importance of high resolution displays should have their eyes checked. Because normal people CAN tell the difference.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The amazing thing is in the tablet market, iPad 2 really is the best. It's not slow, it has a ton of software for it and it has a high-quality screen. People are choosing to buy iPads over Windows-PCs. Then, the iPad 3 will come out and be faster, with an amazing screen, and most likely some new Apple Apps as well.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
That's not even funny man. I can't comprehend how people can complain about this. I think anyone downplaying the importance of high resolution displays should have their eyes checked. Because normal people CAN tell the difference.

I can see the difference, I just don't care about it on a mobile device. On a computer, sure, get that sucker as high as it'll go. On a phone or tablet, as long as I can read the text (for which 150-200 DPI is perfectly acceptable for to me) I don't really care.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Clkoerner (via OSXDaily) put together this graphic showing the relative number of pixels offered by various devices, including the rumored iPad 3. Also for reference, he includes a 1920x1080 Full HD screen to show that the new iPad's screen may dwarf them all.

Wow. I'm actually impressed, that the tone on this side finally has abandoned journalistic objectivity and rather goes the AI fanboy mode. It's embarassing.

There is no need to use such a stupid and emotional line as to the iPad3's display "dwarfing everything". Basically Macrumors now chimes into the standard "We hype it for the fanboys"-style you once only got from AI. Sad part is that all Mac sites these day go down that route.

So jut as fun facts for you:
2004: Introduction of the Apple Cinema Display 30" with 2560x1600 p.

So basically the iPad3 is dwarfed by nearly every middle class computer display on the planet. Think about it.

Oh - on a side note - why is this giving the connotation that TV manufacturers are too incompetent to reach that high resoulutions? They are not, but those TVs are utterly expensive and there is nearly no material for it. Google UHDV if you like.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Those iTunes movies gonna look like crap on this Retina Display monster. Unless Apple is really going forward with that 4K movie offering. This is really insane. How does conventional websites gonna look like?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I can totally see this.. If Apple allow "standard" iPad 2 resolution for games when the devs need the extra frames per second.. Certain types of games could cope with the crazy iPad3 res almost regardless of the spec, it's only the infinity blades etc that would need an alarmingly powerful gpu to push that sort of resolution.

The iPad 4 will likely be a spec bump and make games all run better at the full crazy resolution.

I'd LOVE to develop for a machine with that sort of resolution as standard.

----------

There is no need to use such a stupid and emotional line as to the iPad3's display "dwarfing everything". Basically Macrumors now chimes into the standard "We hype it for the fanboys"-style you once only got from AI. Sad part is that all Mac sites these day go down that route.

So jut as fun facts for you:
2004: Introduction of the Apple Cinema Display 30" with 2560x1600 p.

So basically the iPad3 is dwarfed by nearly every middle class computer display on the planet. Think about it.

Oh - on a side note - why is this giving the connotation that TV manufacturers are too incompetent to reach that high resoulutions? They are not, but those TVs are utterly expensive and there is nearly no material for it. Google UHDV if you like.
He only said it dwarfs "Them all" = all the things on the image. 1080p has become the standard for consumer TVs and monitors.. Just look at how many 1080 displays are listed compared to the higher models on sites like Amazon. And the current gen consoles can barely output 1080p a lot of the time depending on the demands of the game.

And all those things are a a lot *bigger* than an iPad, which is a handheld.. Nowhere does it imply the TV manufacturers can't go this high. It's an impressive feat simply because it's a long battery-life handheld device that (seemingly) will have a resolution blasting everything but pro devices out of the water. The PPI on the iPad3 will be wonderful..

... If the rumours are true.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Those iTunes movies gonna look like crap on this Retina Display monster. Unless Apple is really going forward with that 4K movie offering. This is really insane. How does conventional websites gonna look like?

They will look exactly the same like before.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm about to upgrade, but I guess I will have to wait a bit for the retina 27" TBD...

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I bet there will be a 2k HD option display on the next line of macbook pros and probably imacs. Just another incentive to go mac and only mac will have these displays for a short time until everyone else copies (of course) when they realise macs are leaving them even further behind

Ummm.... I believe my 27" iMac already has that screen resolution. Also, don't forget that Macs have notoriously always been behind PC computers in screen resolution. The Powerbooks were very small compared to the laptops of their day. The Macbooks still have small resolutions.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
He only said it dwarfs "Them all" = all the things on the image. 1080p has become the standard for consumer TVs and monitors.. Just look at how many 1080 displays are listed compared to the higher models on sites like Amazon. And the current gen consoles can barely output 1080p a lot of the time depending on the demands of the game.

Yep - and with the inclusion of 1080p the author clearly intended to state the impressing fact that the resolution surpasses "your average Joe consumer TV". Now isn't that magical?!? Isn't that amazing?!? Don't you want to buy into the hype immediately?!?

Oh - and if Samsung really is the manufacturer of this display - too bad that this will be a big GalaxyTab-show at MWC in two weeks. :p

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
For all the impracticalities of having such a huge res screen for the processor / battery life, it would make one hell of an e reader! Remember Steve effusively talking about the iPhone 4 screen being as crisp as print media? It will be the same for the iPad 3 (assuming it gets double res). As for games, I'm certain the iPad could handle full res rendering, the question is the state of the textures. Besides which, games devs can and do render at whatever res they feel like, just as they do on consoles anyway.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Pretty impressive, but I feel it's kinda wasted on the iPad. Rather offer it on a laptop display where it will actually be of use to people.

This pixel is small, that pixel is far away...

I'm sure these screens will be coming to laptops too - we've seen the news about high resolution fonts and icons turning up in OS X.

However, you also have to consider ergonomics and typical distance to screen: I'd suggest most people hold iPads rather closer than they position their laptop screens, so you need a higher resolution to get the "no visible pixels" effect.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It is curious why people act as if a "retina" iPad is insane, impossible, never going to happen.

It WILL happen, and most likely with this next iPad. They've been working toward a high resolution screen as seen through contractors, the OS graphics had been shown to double resolution, the iPhone/iPod Touch have doubled(4x, actually) their screen resolutions. The next generation of A-chips is set to get the power to handle high-res.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
2x the Resolution?

I think the power drain is a problem. Is it really going to drive 4x the number of pixels?
What about twice the number of pixels. I mean that screen wouldn't be that shabby and its still in the same aspect ratio. I mean if you add 50% the number of pixels to both sides you get 1536x1152. Could they make that?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Attachments

• 5178518964_9111013a9d.jpg
    5178518964_9111013a9d.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 135
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.