Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Best alternative to Adobe Illustrator (excluding Inkscape)?

• Artboard

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • EazyDraw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iDraw

• Intaglio

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Lineform

• Sketch

• VectorDesigner

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • ZeusDraw

• Other (but excluding Inkscape)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Pixelmator seems to be the standout low-cost alternative to Adobe Photoshop. But as far as I can tell there does not seem to be a standout low-cost alternative to Adobe Illustrator.

What do you think is best? Please vote in the poll and/or comment.

However, please exclude Inkscape. It is clearly the best open-source/free option and is quite well known. But I want to know what else is worth spending some time looking into and in particular apps that don't require x11.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I know some folks in the design world who use Artboard on their personal units, since Adobe is still expensive, especially for a lot of students / start-ups...

But as far as the professional world goes, everyone is [obviously] using AI.

pkisme

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
could only think of SVG-edit and OpenOffice.org Draw at the moment. both are free

TimO-Florida

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2012
Try inkscape.org

(Haven't used it on the Mac yet - mine is on order- but it's a good alternative on Windows)

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Try inkscape.org

(Haven't used it on the Mac yet - mine is on order- but it's a good alternative on Windows)

Please see original post

However, please exclude Inkscape. It is clearly the best open-source/free option and is quite well known. But I want to know what else is worth spending some time looking into and in particular apps that don't require x11.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.