Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I had to take my iMac in for service, and apparently, they had to reformat my second (internal) 2TB drive. But now, instead of being called "MACINTOSH HD 2" it's "MACINTOSH HD 2 1" ... When I try and delete the "1", it just comes back. The problem with this is that I have many music/studio programs that accesses data, and it can't find it, because it's looking for a different drive ... What can I do?!?!?!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you tried the GET INFO window and changed the name there?
Normally applications don't care for the name of the volume, they do care for the correct HDD and device name (which the system gives to the HDD).
But can't you set the applications to that new HDD?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I had to take my iMac in for service, and apparently, they had to reformat my second (internal) 2TB drive. But now, instead of being called "MACINTOSH HD 2" it's "MACINTOSH HD 2 1" ... When I try and delete the "1", it just comes back. The problem with this is that I have many music/studio programs that accesses data, and it can't find it, because it's looking for a different drive ... What can I do?!?!?!
Make sure you don't have another drive attached with the same name. Then "Get Info" on the drive and change the name there.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I suppose I could set it one by one, but with one of my music libraries, it's quite a pain, and it took me a while to get my database library (metadata) set ...

Here's a screen shot:

http://o7.no/wlRau0

If I delete that "1" and press return, it just comes back again .... ?!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I suppose I could set it one by one, but with one of my music libraries, it's quite a pain, and it took me a while to get my database library (metadata) set ...

Here's a screen shot:

Try Changing the "Macintosh HD 2 1" to "Macintosh 3" then change it to "Macintosh 2"

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Here's a screen shot:

Try Changing the "Macintosh HD 2 1" to "Macintosh 3" then change it to "Macintosh 2"

I think it unmounts then mounts it again, and he seems to have an active transfer to the HD

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
won't let me ...It'll let me name it anything else, but not that ....

Nov 28, 2010
located
Not quite sure what you mean by that?

Finder > Preferences > General > Show these items on the desktop > Hard disks, then click on the name and press ENTER to change the name. Though it will probably not work, when it doesn't work via the Get Info window.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks ...

Any idea how I can get that drive to be named what it "should" be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.