Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:07 PM   #26
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God
 
AustinIllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post
Excited for this!
I look forward to seeing my net value all on one page May be the most depressing moment of my life.
__________________
Victory ILLINOIS Varsity!
iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey Early 2011 13" MBP iPad Mini Retina 32 GB
AustinIllini is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:27 PM   #27
MTShipp
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
I do not hold high hopes for the iPad edition of iBank when it is released. They are slow to react to problems reported with their existing iPhone app and their Lion app.

I hope it works out well because it looks neat.
__________________
Macbook Pro Retina 2.7/16/768 ; iPhone 6 16GB ; iPad Air 128GB silver AT&T
MTShipp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:22 PM   #28
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Is that a normal stock image for the iPad? That bezel looks mighty narrow.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:36 PM   #29
cvaldes
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: somewhere else
Perhaps the iPad emulator in Xcode has generic graphics that aren't tied to a specific model? I'm not an iOS developer so this is merely a guess.
cvaldes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #30
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
If I cannot connect to every single financial institution I use from day one I would not even consider switching.

If they want defectors from other products then they'll need to support at least the same number of institutions as Mint or Quicken. And believe it or not Mint has more.

I suspect that will not be the case. Also, they'll need to be responsive to requests for new institutions and complete those requests within 1 or 2 days.

That is the one thing I hate about Mint and Quicken. If it aint already supported good luck with them caring.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 02:16 PM   #31
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Perhaps the iPad emulator in Xcode has generic graphics that aren't tied to a specific model? I'm not an iOS developer so this is merely a guess.
The iPad simulator gives an accurate representation of the iPad. That has to be a doctored image because that is way too stretched vertically.
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 02:26 PM   #32
blue22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
as Mint.com demonstrates, nothing is ever truly "free"...

Although Mint.com certainly does offer a lot of convenient and useful features (their graphs are actually nicely done) their service isn't truly free and people are fooling themselves if they believe otherwise.

For agreeing to use Mint.com's services, at a minimum, you're agreeing to let them data-mine all your spending habits, and target you with advertisements; sorry but that is a HUGE deal breaker for me, and I value my financial privacy way too much to agree to that invasive nonsense. I also suspect I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Also there are still some legit security concerns lingering around (see here and here) regarding granting Mint.com access to your banking accounts via their online interface.

Personally speaking, it may not be perfect, but overall iBank has been great, and I'm happy to support a product that's clearly committed to the Mac platform and offers a solid application that addresses the vast majority of my personal finance tracking needs.

And for all those that don't want to pay a dime for anything, ultimately they get what they "pay" for.
blue22 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 04:26 PM   #33
cerote
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Been an iBank user for a while. Love it. I have the iOS app to be able to keep my account and spending on track when on vacation away from my computer.

The thing I am really waiting for is iCloud sync support.
cerote is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:38 PM   #34
cuencap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
Although Mint.com certainly does offer a lot of convenient and useful features (their graphs are actually nicely done) their service isn't truly free and people are fooling themselves if they believe otherwise.
I have been using mint.com for 4 years now and have not paid one cent to them. How is that not truly free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
For agreeing to use Mint.com's services, at a minimum, you're agreeing to let them data-mine all your spending habits, and target you with advertisements; sorry but that is a HUGE deal breaker for me, and I value my financial privacy way too much to agree to that invasive nonsense.
How are targeted advertisements invading your privacy? When mint.com notices that 40% of your credit card transactions are to gas stations, they show you a credit card that offers 5% back on all gas station purchases. I think that's a great idea. How is that invasive and hurtful to your financial privacy? Seems like a customized offering to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
I also suspect I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Don't speak for me, I actually really enjoy using mint.com on a daily basis, and enjoy my transactions being loaded automatically. For Free.
cuencap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:59 PM   #35
roofz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
I don't think too many people are going to like opening up their iBank app to see a huge negative number indicating their net worth. Would also be a tad bit embarrassing when using on an airline or in a crowded area.

Predicting a flop
roofz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 01:12 AM   #36
blue22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
take a chill pill ace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
I have been using mint.com for 4 years now and have not paid one cent to them. How is that not truly free?
Hey, if you like using them so much then I'm sincerely happy for you and carry on with it then.

However, it seems you've missed my earlier point: the use of their software isn't actually "free" because in reality-land you're actually "paying for it" by agreeing to let them compile data on your financial habits and associations as you use their software to manage your personal finances. Now, if you're okay with this exchange, then again, great for you. Personally speaking, I am not okay with it, hence why I don't use them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
How are targeted advertisements invading your privacy? When mint.com notices that 40% of your credit card transactions are to gas stations, they show you a credit card that offers 5% back on all gas station purchases. I think that's a great idea. How is that invasive and hurtful to your financial privacy? Seems like a customized offering to me!
Did you even bother to read what I actually posted?! Here's the Mint.com security related links again (see here and here) and if they fixed those issues then JOY TO THE WORLD but those things still pose legitimate concerns overall because of the nature of it's web-based interface, which is another reason why I prefer *not* to use their service. But again, to each their own.



Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
I also suspect I'm not the only one that feels this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
Don't speak for me, I actually really enjoy using mint.com on a daily basis, and enjoy my transactions being loaded automatically. For Free.
Listen Ace, I wasn't "speaking for you" so don't take my words out of context. First learn to read, then re-read that paragraph I wrote before taking it all deeply personal or whatever. I don't even know you, and this is the first time I've encountered you on this forum so how exactly was I "speaking for you" before I even knew you existed?! You only got 4 posts to your credit on here so ease up on your rhetoric.

Bottom line: you love using Mint.com, especially because it's "free", so great for you and those that share your opinion. But *I* am not comfortable with their terms of use regarding sharing my financial data, and I'm *not* the only one here who feels this way about them. But there's nothing wrong with either side of the fence people find themselves on regarding this particular service. It's just a personal preference I simply stated earlier, nothing more.

And, just to be crystal clear here, I'm *not* saying Mint.com is the devil or anything like that, not at all, but this notion that people think their service is "free" is ridiculous. It costs them time, resources, and manpower to create and maintain this software that you seem to enjoy utilizing so much, and if you think they're just giving it away for you to use without a return on their investment then you're just naive about the true nature of things. Tracking your personal spending habits is worth a lot more to them than building an app that you can only access via the internet, and once this data is in hand they can upsell you on crappy credit card deals you seem to really like, all while collecting and profiting off your future financial data updates that you willfully provide them with… for "free".

Last edited by blue22; Feb 9, 2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: fixed typos.
blue22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:05 AM   #37
mijail
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the comments in this thread... so uncharacteristic here, I'm afraid. Thank you all for the insights in each of those softwares, I'll be trying them.
mijail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:54 AM   #38
cuencap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Ok maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post

Did you even bother to read what I actually posted?! Here's the Mint.com security related links again (see here and here) and if they fixed those issues then JOY TO THE WORLD but those things still pose legitimate concerns overall because of the nature of it's web-based interface, which is another reason why I prefer *not* to use their service. But again, to each their own.
I did read your post in full, and I did read the links. I chose to ignore them because they were both 1 and 2 years old. Things have changed since then. They may not have addressed and fixed all of your concerns, but they will always need some sort of access to your accounts in order to work the "mint.com way"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
Listen Ace, I wasn't "speaking for you" so don't take my words out of context. First learn to read, then re-read that paragraph I wrote before taking it all deeply personal or whatever. I don't even know you, and this is the first time I've encountered you on this forum so how exactly was I "speaking for you" before I even knew you existed?! You only got 4 posts to your credit on here so ease up on your rhetoric.
"Ace", haha, nice.

When you say "I also suspect I'm not the only one that feels this way", I feel as though that is an unfair assumption, and that you are speaking for everyone.

As for me only having 4 posts; what does that matter? My opinion matters just as much as yours. You don't have anymore "macrumors" clout than I do, and if you think you do, you're a sad soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
Bottom line: It costs them time, resources, and manpower to create and maintain this software that you seem to enjoy utilizing so much, and if you think they're just giving it away for you to use without a return on their investment then you're just naive about the true nature of things. Tracking your personal spending habits is worth a lot more to them than building an app that you can only access via the internet, and once this data is in hand they can upsell you on crappy credit card deals you seem to really like, all while collecting and profiting off your future financial data updates that you willfully provide them with… for "free".
I fully understand how online services work; which is the reason why I love the Internet and mint.com. For them to envision the website, and actually create the website with such beauty, elegance, and functionality is very impressive to me. To turn around and sell it to a well-respected financial institution for millions of dollars is even more impressive to me. I signed up for mint.com fully knowing my risks and benefits of the service.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofz View Post
I don't think too many people are going to like opening up their iBank app to see a huge negative number indicating their net worth. Would also be a tad bit embarrassing when using on an airline or in a crowded area.

Predicting a flop
I don't think this is grounds to call the software a "flop". If you're worried about people seeing your financial history, don't open the app in public. When is the last time you've balanced your checkbook or counted all of your benjamins in public? Unless you're Floyd Mayweather and like to make it rain, I doubt that you have done either.

Embarassed about a negative net worth? That's the fact of life for a vast majority of people with mortgages. People hiding from the truth of a negative net worth is also part of the reason why we as a country are in the financial mess we are!
cuencap is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:40 AM   #39
alexjholland
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Self-Employed/Commission Only?

Am I the only self-employed person here that gets their commission in chunks throughout the month, as opposed to wages?

Sounds like Mint.com is useless for me. What about iBank?
alexjholland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:02 PM   #40
blue22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
reading is fundamental...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
When you say "I also suspect I'm not the only one that feels this way", I feel as though that is an unfair assumption, and that you are speaking for everyone.
See the problem here? You just stated that "you feel" a certain way about what I wrote and then proceeded to "assume" that I was speaking for everyone else, which in fact I wasn't; just merely stating in plain ol' English that I know others feel similarly as I do about using that service. That group clearly doesn't include you, but it doesn't include "everyone else" either like you wrongly assumed me to be implying.

Again, learn to comprehend what you read.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
As for me only having 4 posts; what does that matter? My opinion matters just as much as yours. You don't have anymore "macrumors" clout than I do, and if you think you do, you're a sad soul.
LOL! I have *zero* interest in gaining any "MacRumors clout", so worry not my easily ruffled compañero. My point about your 4 posts earlier is that apparently you "just got here" and so before you directly start accusing anyone of anything try not to assume too much about them before you begin "sharing" in a less-than-constructive manner. I'm all for open dialogue and sharing different points of view, but at the same time I won't tolerate being vexed by accusatory nonsense in the process of a given discussion, got it chap?



Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
I did read your post in full, and I did read the links. I chose to ignore them because they were both 1 and 2 years old. Things have changed since then. They may not have addressed and fixed all of your concerns, but they will always need some sort of access to your accounts in order to work the "mint.com way"
So, while you openly acknowledge that some of my chief concerns with using Mint.com has not yet been resolved I'm supposed to warm *my* position on the matter all because *you* love riding the Mint.com train soooooo much? Nonsense! Again, I'm happy for you if *you* like their service. But I don't. It's a personal preference, one that I stated clearly and fairly the very first time. So, let's just agree to disagree on this one.
blue22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:17 PM   #41
cuencap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
So, let's just agree to disagree on this one.
Agreed-we shall agree that we disagree

HOWEVER...you made another dumbass assumption...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
My point about your 4 posts earlier is that apparently you "just got here"
I've been "here" longer than you've had ball hair, so take your ball (and hand-written financial ledger) and go home. Stop being a hypocritical sack rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
got it chap?
Got it chief
cuencap is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:58 AM   #42
blue22
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
you're practically gagging on it now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
Agreed-we shall agree that we disagree

HOWEVER...you made another dumbass assumption...
Yes, clearly I'm foolish for thinking you were a mature individual on any level that wouldn't resort to name calling to defend their touchy point of view. Lesson learned.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post
I've been "here" longer than you've had ball hair, so take your ball (and hand-written financial ledger) and go home. Stop being a hypocritical sack rider.
Trying to stay on topic somewhat, just FYI, iBank can also do that magical thing of connecting to the world wide web and download bank statements directly from your banking account so you don't have to input it manually yourself. I know, earlier you were too busy defending Mint.com's precious little honor to take any note of that feature.

Oh yeah, BTW, are you sure you're really sure about that bucko, with the ball-hair thing and all? Or is it actually you that's making the "dumbass assumptions" around here, yet again? No buddy, it's *you* who's on MY NUTS and it's about time to go wash your mouth now.
blue22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:21 PM   #43
donthaveacowman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quicken Essentials (download from Intuit for free!)

I have found Quicken Essentials to be a pretty good solution for most of my needs. I just wish the investment support was more complete. The online banking/downloading transactions works really well, and while the reporting could use a little improvement, it is overall much easier to find what I'm looking for than in the 'classic' Quicken Mac version.

And one of the best the best parts is, you can download it for free directly from Intuit:

http://http-download.intuit.com/http...Essentials.tgz
donthaveacowman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:46 AM   #44
roofz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuencap View Post

I don't think this is grounds to call the software a "flop". If you're worried about people seeing your financial history, don't open the app in public. When is the last time you've balanced your checkbook or counted all of your benjamins in public? Unless you're Floyd Mayweather and like to make it rain, I doubt that you have done either.

Embarassed about a negative net worth? That's the fact of life for a vast majority of people with mortgages. People hiding from the truth of a negative net worth is also part of the reason why we as a country are in the financial mess we are!
I'm quite sure that the reason this software was created and developed was for the purpose of selling it to users. So like I said....


Quote:
Originally Posted by roofz View Post
I don't think too many people are going to like opening up their iBank app to see a huge negative number indicating their net worth. Would also be a tad bit embarrassing when using on an airline or in a crowded area.
I don't think too many people are going to buy/use this app, therefore I predict a flop. Side note:
American's having negative net worth is not the root of why America is in the financial mess it's in. I'm not paid to teach on here, but for the sake of filling in the apparent gap in your knowledge, the financial mess was caused by certain key factors: increased foreclosure rates, increased unemployment, unpaid debt owed to financial institutions, and other financial instability. All negative net worth means is that you have debt; it doesn't say anything about wether or not you're paying it off.. and tens of millions of people have negative net worth without having contributed to the financial mess.
roofz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:01 PM   #45
donthaveacowman
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by roofz View Post
I'm not paid to teach on here, but for the sake of filling in the apparent gap in your knowledge, the financial mess was caused by certain key factors: increased foreclosure rates, increased unemployment, unpaid debt owed to financial institutions, and other financial instability.


I'm not paid to teach on here either, but I think it's worth pointing out that you are confusing cause and effect here.

The things you mentioned above are the EFFECT, not the CAUSE, of the financial mess. The CAUSE of the mess was (and remains) artificial interest rates (aka easy money policy) set forth by the Federal Reserve, corrupt politicians (bought and paid for by the Fed's buddies at Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc), and flawed housing (among other) policies passed by the profligate and corrupt congress. But I digress…
donthaveacowman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:29 PM   #46
cuencap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by donthaveacowman View Post
I'm not paid to teach on here either, but I think it's worth pointing out that you are confusing cause and effect here.

The things you mentioned above are the EFFECT, not the CAUSE, of the financial mess. The CAUSE of the mess was (and remains) artificial interest rates (aka easy money policy) set forth by the Federal Reserve, corrupt politicians (bought and paid for by the Fed's buddies at Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc), and flawed housing (among other) policies passed by the profligate and corrupt congress. But I digress…
Thank you for clarifying this for our friend roofz.

Roofz:
In laymans terms, I meant that people have negative net worth because they are buying things (houses, cars, electronics, toys, etc) that they can not truly afford. As noted directly above, this leads to the issues you have pointed out: increased foreclosure rates, increased unemployment, unpaid debt owed to financial institutions, and other financial instability.

PS-the fact that two people voted for your inept post is embarrassing, and may be yet another reason of why we are in the situation we are in as a country.

PPS-I should clarify that I have no issues with negative net worth. As long as the person is paying down the debt, and not walking away from it.

Last edited by cuencap; Feb 12, 2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Added PS, PPS
cuencap is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:46 AM   #47
jimthing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London, UK
And for the UK?

Are any of these valid for use in the UK?
(I mean beyond just offering £ symbols in them, rather than $ !)

- Quicken pulled out of the UK market with Essentials, and their Mint.com is US only.
- MS Money died a while ago now (for usage via Windows VM's).
- and we really want Mac-specific apps, anyway, rather than Windows VM's.

So that leaves iBank (market leader?) or MoneyWell for UK people's needs...
Importing current AND savings accounts, tracking investments (eg. OEICS), ISAs (cash &/or share types), running two different lots of data (eg. my own separately from my pensioner mum's whose I have to do), et al ?

Any of these any good for us UK folks?
__________________
MBP 17" 2.93GHz C2D/10.9.x Mav/8GB RAM/256GB SSD •Mac Mini 2.6GHz i7 QC/10.9.x Mav/16GB RAM/256GB SSD •T.Caps 5th gen/3TB •ATV 3
iP6P 128GB/gold/8.x •iPad Mini 2 128GB/grey/WiFi+4G/7.x

wiki:Apple
jimthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:56 PM   #48
Macense98
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
It is good that people are able to receive the personal loans moreover, that opens up completely new chances.
__________________
jeux de barbie
Macense98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:35 AM   #49
JordanMarcus
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Accessibility is always the practical way now a days. I bought an IPad and I never regret getting one since I like the idea of downloading news in finance and tax reforms. A person engaging in business like I do should be updated at all costs.
JordanMarcus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:23 PM   #50
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God
 
Arelunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: CA Central Coast
After reading this thread, I bought iBank to replace the Quicken 2011 on my PC and Quicken for Mac - a disaster, IMO.

It was scary to shift everything over, but it worked smoothly. I ran the PC Quicken and iBank parallel for a short while, and recently shifted entirely to iBank. I've seen some articles on the potential demise of Quicken/Intuit and decided an alternative program/app was advisable.

Using iBank has been a good experience, but I don't have any of the automatic features enabled. I don't want any app downloading directly from my bank account or investments. Enabling these not only makes things more complex (for me), it's also scary from the privacy side of things.

Working with iBank has required a learning curve, but gradually, I'm getting comfortable with it as a replacement for Quicken. I'll be staying with it.
__________________
Always learning...
Arelunde is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Personal Finance Managment adiazrael Mac Applications and Mac App Store 5 Dec 17, 2013 03:07 PM
Personal Finance - What's your take? alksion Mac Applications and Mac App Store 53 Nov 11, 2013 11:53 AM
What are the best personal finance mobile apps? Brett Harry iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Sep 17, 2013 04:44 AM
Personal finance applications? Ledgem Mac Applications and Mac App Store 10 Mar 17, 2013 11:50 PM
Personal Finance Gurus, Help me out! kilj0y Community Discussion 2 Sep 24, 2012 09:43 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC