Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in December, The Recording Academy announced that it would be honoring Steve Jobs with a Special Merit Grammy Award. The Trustees Award for Jobs was made in recognition of his contributions to the field of music with the iPod and iTunes Music Store.

eddy_cue_jobs_grammy.jpg
The Grammy ceremony for the Special Merit Awards was held yesterday, and Apple senior vice president of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue was on hand to accept the award.
On behalf of Steve's wife, Laurene, his children, and everyone at Apple, I'd like to thank you for honoring Steve with the Trustees Grammy Award. Steve was a visionary, a mentor, and a very close friend. I had the incredible honor of working with him for the last fifteen years.

Accepting this award means so much to me because music meant so much to him. He told us that music shaped his life...it made him who he was. Everyone that knows Steve knows the profound impact that artists like Bob Dylan and The Beatles had on him.

Steve was focused on bringing music to everyone in innovative ways. We talked about it every single day. When he introduced the iPod in 2001, people asked "Why is Apple making a music player?" His answer was simple: "We love music, and it's always good to do something you love."

His family and I know that this Grammy would have been very special to him, so I thank you for honoring him today.
The Recording Academy has also published a brief tribute to Jobs by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, a 16-time Grammy winner and personal friend of Jobs.

Jobs' Grammy marks the second time he and Apple have been honored by The Recording Academy. Apple itself won a Technical Grammy Award in 2002.

Article Link: Eddy Cue Accepts Special Grammy Award Honoring Steve Jobs

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

perhaps long overdue

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
may the ground be light upon you Steve, and may you be in a better place now. :apple:

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I still can't believe he's gone.
I get a lump in my throat every time I think about it or am reminded about it like this event. :(
R.I.P. Steve, the world thanks you yet again!

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I get a lump in my throat every time I think about it or am reminded about it like this event. :(

I caught a video about him the other day, something on YouTube. Still gets to me a bit.

He went way too soon.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

DotCom2 said:

For me the same. I'm reading his book now. Everyone should read that book it explains a lot about his world.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I think it's right that the recording industie gave this price. Steve showed them a way to bring their industry to the next level of distribution. Something they struggled a bit to do by themselves.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
cool.

I still find it weird how people can hate on steve jobs especially now he's gone for something he well deserves.

Sideline players think they know best.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

I still remember the feeling when I started to pay for music again on the iTunes store after so many years...

Thanks Steve for giving us a convenient way to support the artists we love!

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
That would be special.
Gotta love the self-indulgence and ego worship of all these awards.

Is that what you had to say on this occasion. An award (any award) commemorating a man who's recently deceased (forget it's Steve Jobs, forget you are in an apple forum, any man who recently died after a long hard struggle with a disease that wrecked him and who by and large did not leave this world much worse a place), and that's all your emotions told you to say? All I have to say is that I pity you.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I still find it weird how people can hate on steve jobs especially now he's gone for something he well deserves.

That would be special.
Gotta love the self-indulgence and ego worship of all these awards.

An award (any award) commemorating a man....

It's also possible to feel that Apple (and the hundreds or thousands of people who created the Ipod and Itunes) deserve the award....

...but feel a bit odd that it's given in the name of a man who spent much of his career accepting credit for the combined works of many, and not to the group who actually accomplished the feat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.