Thoughts and feedback on new site? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:09 AM   #1
macbookairman
macrumors 6502a

Thoughts and feedback on new site?

Hey,

So I just launched a new website a few weeks ago called NewtotheMac.info. The original goal for the site was to be a small site to help out friends and family with their Mac questions when I'm unavailable, but as I started working on it I realized it was a much bigger project than I had realized. So what was intended to be a couple week project became a massive several month project, which still isn't done. BUT, I launched it anyway and will continue to expand it in the coming months.

Now that the site has launched, I'm struggling to figure out how to drive traffic to the site. I've bought ads on several smaller tech sites, as well as Facebook and Google, with some success, though nothing spectacular. I've been thinking that maybe the best strategy is to just keep pumping out reviews, guides and news, and with time it'll bring in readers. But its really tough mentally writing massive amounts of content that only 20 people are reading. Is this the best way to go at it?
I feel like giveaways or competitions might help, but I can't really afford anything like that (or any more ads), as I'm a college student and I've already put more money into this than I probably should have.

Besides tips for how to get more traffic, I'm wondering what sort of feedback you have on the site?

A few specific things I'm wondering:
Does the theme seem inviting? (if that makes sense)
Guides like this will be the "flagship" feature of the site. Do you like the layout? Is it overwhelming/too much content on a page?
When you visit the homepage, do you notice any of the social networking features? I'm really wanting to get new visitors to follow the site on Facebook/Twitter/G+ but there hasn't been much success with that.

Any other suggestions, criticism (positive and negative) are of course encouraged.

Thanks so much!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development