Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Leaked iPad 3 Rear Shell, Display, and Dock Connector Cable Matched Together

Last week, repair firm iLab Factory posted a photo of a Sharp display that was said to carry a resolution of 2048x1536 in a 9.7-inch size and be targeted for the iPad 3.

The company now reports (via 9to5Mac) that it has obtained the rear shell and dock connector cable parts that have also been circulating and matched all three together, increasing the likelihood that the leaks are genuine parts. The parts do show that the iPad 3 is marginally thicker than the iPad 2, which has been rumored by a number of sources as Apple has sought to increase battery capacity to drive the higher-resolution display and tweak other components.
Quote:
First of all, in comparison to a back plate of iPad2, the iPad3 one(?) is a little bit thicker; less than 1mm, and equal-sized length and breadth.
The report goes on to show in a series of photos that mounting holes on both the display and the dock connector/ribbon cable line up exactly with those on the rear shell.

The report also examines the rear camera mounting points on the claimed iPad 3 shell, noting that they are indeed different than on the iPad 2 although the hole in the rear shell does appear to be essentially the same size as in the iPad 2. The difference in camera mounting had previously been noted in other leaked photos.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPad 3 in the first week of March, with the first round of launches set to follow soon after.

Article Link: Leaked iPad 3 Rear Shell, Display, and Dock Connector Cable Matched Together
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2
VicMacs
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to VicMacs Send a message via AIM to VicMacs
its real now :P
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3
blizaine
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It seems possible that Apple could be using the new gorilla glass that is harder and thinner, to offset the shell size increase.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
First of all, in comparison to a back plate of iPad2, the iPad3 one(?) is a little bit thicker; less than 1mm, and equal-sized length and breadth.
I know that 1mm is a huge span in terms of engineering and sci-geekery, but in the real world of human hands and what we hold to read, 1mm is invisible.

Reading about the thicker iPad3 always makes it seem bulkier. A descriptive like "barely thicker" is apt.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:04 AM   #5
applesith
macrumors 68000

finally put the pieces to the puzzle!
applesith is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:05 AM   #6
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

I like the constant leaks that are popping up these days. We're getting close.
jamesryanbell is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:05 AM   #7
toddybody

If the Retina display rumor is true, this is going to be a game changer. Go
toddybody is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:07 AM   #8
nepalisherpa
macrumors 65816

Gotta love Apple's secrecy! We are, maybe, a month away from seeing the actual product but we still don't know all the details!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:09 AM   #9
ASKendrew
macrumors regular

We'll have a fully built iPad 3 soon!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:11 AM   #10
TheNewDude
macrumors 6502a

I really hope this Retina screen happens!

I have been holding off buying the iPad2 for 4 months now because i really want the Retina screen. I can deal with everything else being the same as iPad2 as long as Retina happens.

My first iPhone purchase was because of the Retina screen.

The screen is so important because that's the one thing I look at anytime i pick up my phone or a computer.

Really hoping this one doesn't disappoint.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:12 AM   #11
ShiftyPig
macrumors 6502a

If I tried to sell half an iPad on eBay, I'd get all of $20.

If I tried to sell this half of an iPad on eBay, I'd get thousands.
ShiftyPig is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
I know that 1mm is a huge span in terms of engineering and sci-geekery, but in the real world of human hands and what we hold to read, 1mm is invisible.

Reading about the thicker iPad3 always makes it seem bulkier. A descriptive like "barely thicker" is apt.
Yes. And it would still be about 1/4 thinner than the original iPad. The key "human factors" spec is weight. The biggest flaw of the original iPad was it's weight. The iPad 2 is almost the perfect heft; just a tad too heavy still. So, I would hope Apple would not backtrack here.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:20 AM   #13
borgqueenx
macrumors 6502a

so beautiful.....power it up
borgqueenx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:24 AM   #14
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Love the device, my only issue is with the shell of the iPad 2. I liked the first version better as it was easier to hold. The teardrop shape of my iPad 2, even with a cover, can be awkward to hold, especially watching a moving in bed or such.

If the iPad 3 is slightly thicker, and depending on the teardrop form, I'd believe this to be good news
bedifferent is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:29 AM   #15
slu
macrumors 65832

1. The blurring of the Apple logo in the pics is funny. Not sure why that was needed?

2. I know it is only slightly thicker, but to me this is a mistake. It should never get thicker or heavier. This is a slight step back. It still may be a fantastic device and make up for it in other ways, but this is unfortunate in my opinion.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CoreWhore View Post
Love the device, my only issue is with the shell of the iPad 2. I liked the first version better as it was easier to hold. The teardrop shape of my iPad 2, even with a cover, can be awkward to hold, especially watching a moving in bed or such.

If the iPad 3 is slightly thicker, and depending on the teardrop form, I'd believe this to be good news
I actually disliked the back of the ipad1 because you couldn't put it on a flat surface without the "Bulge" causing it to swivel. I much prefer my iPad 2's shape. The newbie looks good to me...Well, Just sold my iPhone 4 so that chunk of cash will go towards the new one....Hoping for 128GB!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:39 AM   #17
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
1. The blurring of the Apple logo in the pics is funny. Not sure why that was needed?

2. I know it is only slightly thicker, but to me this is a mistake. It should never get thicker or heavier. This is a slight step back. It still may be a fantastic device and make up for it in other ways, but this is unfortunate in my opinion.
Do you think they should wait a few years until the technology is better as others release their high res tabs or just except that it will be an noticeable increase in thickness in the grand scheme of things?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:40 AM   #18
troop231
macrumors 601

I'll take one 128GB WiFi+3G model in black please
troop231 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:42 AM   #19
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

Got my credit card ready to go!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:42 AM   #20
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

yay, just enough difference that the iPad2 cases won't fit anymore. Case manufacturers will be very happy.
andiwm2003 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:51 AM   #21
ABernardoJr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiwm2003 View Post
yay, just enough difference that the iPad2 cases won't fit anymore. Case manufacturers will be very happy.
You mean case makers will have to make a new series of cases for a new product and customers will have to buy them for this new product? Imagine that. lol Apple keeps the form factor for the 4s and people get mad, they potentially change the iPad 3 and now they supposedly have something to be upset about.
ABernardoJr is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:58 AM   #22
toddybody

My body is ready (my wallet might not be)
toddybody is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #23
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddybody View Post
My body is ready (my wallet might not be)
My eyes are ready for the beautiful retina display. No more blurry text!
troop231 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:05 AM   #24
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
My eyes are ready for the beautiful retina display. No more blurry text!
Let's hope Devs are ready because there's some serious graphic design changes coming.
Peace is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #25
macdouche
macrumors newbie

Game Changer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddybody View Post
If the Retina display rumor is true, this is going to be a game changer. Go
I have all Mac products & have been using Apple products since the 80's, but I wouldn't call this a game changer.

Apple owns the tablet market, period.

My biggest disappoinment is the fact that Jobs got a Grammy award for music, & Apple is the leader in the industry for bringing us music to purchase on a per song basis.

But after 10 years, is it alot to ask for a company that is based around so much multi media to give us to 2 damn speakers for real stereo sound????
macdouche is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion