Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Apple and the Fair Labor Association (FLA) announced an agreement that would see the FLA monitoring workplace conditions in Apple's supply chain, providing independent oversight to ensure compliance with worker rights standards set by Apple and the FLA. Apple is the first technology company to join the FLA, a move which comes as Apple has been the subject of increasing criticism over Foxconn's treatment of its employees.

apple_fair_labor_association_logos.jpg

Apple today issued a press release announcing that the FLA has begun inspecting Foxconn's facilities at Apple's request, supplementing Apple's own auditing practices.
Apple today announced that the Fair Labor Association will conduct special voluntary audits of Apple's final assembly suppliers, including Foxconn factories in Shenzhen and Chengdu, China, at Apple's request. A team of labor rights experts led by FLA president Auret van Heerden began the first inspections Monday morning at the facility in Shenzhen known as Foxconn City.

"We believe that workers everywhere have the right to a safe and fair work environment, which is why we've asked the FLA to independently assess the performance of our largest suppliers," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "The inspections now underway are unprecedented in the electronics industry, both in scale and scope, and we appreciate the FLA agreeing to take the unusual step of identifying the factories in their reports."
The release notes that the FLA will be conducting interviews of thousands of Foxconn employees as it assesses their working and living conditions. The FLA will have access to Foxconn's manufacturing areas, as well as the dormitories and other facilities where employees are housed in the massive complex.

Results of the Foxconn inspections will be posted on the FLA's site early next month, and similar inspections at Apple's other major manufacturing partners Quanta and Pegatron will follow this spring. Once inspections at the three companies' facilities are complete, the FLA will have assessed facilities where over 90% of Apple's products are assembled.

Article Link: Fair Labor Association Begins Auditing Foxconn's Manufacturing Facilities at Apple's Request

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Why do I suspect these interviews *may* be influenced, say by, fears of employment, discrimination, and/or government?

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I am sure a memo went out to everyone in the factory to look their best and be cheerful and always smile. Then when they leave, back to boredom.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Let's see how some people will make this out to be a bad thing.

Any rational and objective person would view this as a giant step forward.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The audit itself is semi-useless. Apple conducts audits as well.

The "problem" is that after auditing, Apple doesn't enforce their own criteria for doing business with them.

So auditing is nice PR as long as there are zero "violations." The second something doesn't meet "code" Apple would need to actually enforce their guidelines for it to mean something.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Honestly, when I see "Voluntary", "Supplier" and "Audit" together - I'm hard pressed to think of any example of progress or positive change.

I actually cannot think of a single instance.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
So auditing is nice PR as long as there are zero "violations." The second something doesn't meet "code" Apple would need to actually enforce their guidelines for it to mean something.

That would cost both Apple and Foxconn money. It'd probably be cheaper to take a fine and pay it off instead of you know bothering to fix any actual problems.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
"The release notes that the FLA will be conducting interviews of thousands of Foxconn employees as it assesses their working and living conditions. The FLA will have access to Foxconn's manufacturing areas, as well as the dormitories and other facilities where employees are housed in the massive complex."

Great, those employees are really going to spill the beans on Foxconn aren't they? With their living at stake and who knows what else might happen to them if they did.

Great idea, no teeth and is just to placate the masses...Nothing will change. As soon as the commission has left, the same tactics will return.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Was about time...

Was about time that Apple puts someone between themselves and Foxconn as the watch dog. If they would have continued, every scandal would count against Apple as well because Apple has a financial interest to get the labor as cheap as possible and tries to balance this with morals. Let someone else do the watchdog and Apple can just refer to them if there are alligations again. :cool:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Having been on the assembly lines of factories here in Japan, I know for a fact that the demands placed on workers here are not unlike what we have been reading about factory conditions in China.

Yes, the wages are considerably higher in Japan, but so too is the cost of living. Nonetheless, factory jobs in Japan are incredibly difficult (and often dangerous), with marathon shifts (up to 16 hours a day), very few work breaks, military-like supervision, harsh disciplinary action for even the tiniest of employee errors, and a punishing physical and mental toll.

It makes me wonder whether the stories in the English-language media have been blown at least a bit out of proportion by Western reporters who simply don't understand the difference between what is tolerated by workers in the East versus those in the West.

MacLawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
Will this be reported?

The media has been reporting about the deplorable conditions at Foxcon and pointing the finger at Apple.

Let's see if this gets the same coverage.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
The only thing that will actually change conditions is if the US requires all imported items to be built by factories that follow the same criteria as their US counterparts.

So the factories must pay the same wages, provide the same retirement packages, shift schedule, work environment, safety standards, benefits and so forth that a factory worker in the US would expect in a similar industry. Also that the factories meet the same environmental and code standards.

This would be easy for European markets as they meet or exceed many US standards already.

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
Bravo for apple for trying to go the extra mile.

What would be best though is showing up unannounced to do random checks. Doing a press release saying a 3rd party is going to be doing checks here in the next month is like my parole officer telling me that someone is going to be coming by this week to do a urine test on me because I'm not supposed to be doing drugs. I wonder what I'm going to do this week...

again, i praise them for doing something but I'd much rather this all happen behind the scenes. Press releases like this are defeating the purpose of it all.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Audits are pointless, issues will be hidden and brushed under the carpet, people behave differently and work harder when an audit is ongoing. It's happened everywhere Ive worked.

Just last week we had an audit, and my Sergeant told me "Let's just roll up our sleeves and get through this week, so we can return to normal after they've (the auditors) left."

makinao

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
So the factories must pay the same wages, provide the same retirement packages, shift schedule, work environment, safety standards, benefits and so forth that a factory worker in the US would expect in a similar industry. Also that the factories meet the same environmental and code standards.

This will cause prices balloon, to which haters will respond by accusing Apple of overpricing their products. Ethics aren't cheap. Pay up, or shut up.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Personally I'd like to see Apple use some of their money to start rebuilding America's former manufacturing base. That would endear them to me even more than helping to build up China's economy in a slightly healthier way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.