Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMoney34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I installed a new HDD in my MBP and used Time Machine to restore everything. Now OFFICE 2011 wants an activation code (the ONLY app that has asked for it).

Of course I don't have it anymore and Microsoft won't help me...suggestions?!
Thanks in advance!

(Side note: @Microsoft This is why people steal software. You make it impossible to be honest when you have a legit issue...)

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I ran across the exact same problem in the past. And I made the same comment, "This is why people crack / pirate software. If you're going to treat me like one, I guess I should act like one right?" In the end I switched to Pages for my general use. Fortunately for me, we have a corporate license for Office and was able to get it from our IT department.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I installed a new HDD in my MBP and used Time Machine to restore everything. Now OFFICE 2011 wants an activation code (the ONLY app that has asked for it).

Thanks in advance!

(Side note: @Microsoft This is why people steal software. You make it impossible to be honest when you have a legit issue...)
Failure on your part to keep the install disc or activation code is not a justification for piracy.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Thanks in advance!

In fairness it's hardly MS fault for your losing of your serial key is it ?

Do you have a receipt for the product at least ? Something to show you actually purchased it ? Even a CC receipt ?

I'm very familier with Microsoft and if you had a registered version of Office they would help.

Call them back and ask for a supervisor.

With Office For Mac 2011 however users did not need to register, just activate the product serial. So it's possible they do not know who the user is and this would not help in this instance.

If you can actually locate some proof of purchase contact the team on this number for activation issues:
(800) 936-5700 Explain the situation, explain you have some proof of purchase even though you have lost your product packaging, they may then be able to issue you with another activation code.

Last edited:

DMoney34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
• I didn't install it. IT dept did and kept the disc.
• I didn't pay for it personally. Company card. No receipt.
• I DID register. If you take the time to register a legitimate; product the company should keep it on file. It's called customer service.

Any REAL suggestions that might actually HELP someone in need?

Failure on your part to keep the install disc or activation code is not a justification for piracy.

In fairness it's hardly MS fault for your losing of your serial key is it ?

Do you have a receipt for the product at least ? Something to show you actually purchased it ? Even a CC receipt ?

With Office For Mac 2011 however users did not need to register, just activate the product serial. So it's possible they do not know who the user is and this would not help in this instance.

If you can actually locate some proof of purchase contact the team on this number for activation issues:
(800) 936-5700

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
• I didn't install it. IT dept did and kept the disc.
• I didn't pay for it personally. Company card. No receipt.
• I DID register. If you take the time to register a legitimate; product the company should keep it on file. It's called customer service.

Any REAL suggestions that might actually HELP someone in need?

That's not quite the story your first post painted was it.... Also why the attitude?

In that case, go to the IT dept. They should still have the disc and registration code.

Exactly...

If this was installed by your company, go back to the IT department and ask them to activate / re-install for you.

If you no longer work at that company, then you are not entitled to it, and Microsoft or the company have no obligation to give you an activation key.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD Note]

6. Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

Because the only way for you to get this installed legally is to contact your IT department and asking for help here is akin to asking for a Product key, this thread is being closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.