Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:05 PM   #26
FtrV8
macrumors regular

I hear some life in that monotone voice!
FtrV8 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Peace
macrumors P6

Sorry folks I still have Steve Jobs in my brain and it hurts.

Peace is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:09 PM   #28
milani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKenny303 View Post
Seriously disappointed Apple is appearing at a Goldman Sachs conference. Goldman Sachs was one of the financial firms responsible for the 2008 economic collapse, and has not been held responsible by the SEC.
You should be disappointed in Apple for being an American, publicly traded company, because the late 2000s financial collapse goes way beyond Goldman Sachs...
milani is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:12 PM   #29
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

Apple Should Shun Goldman Sachs

Having the Apple name mentioned in the same sentence as GS tarnishes the Apple name.

Hope Tim took a long shower after being at GS...
SeattleMoose is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:15 PM   #30
iKenny303
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose View Post
Having the Apple name mentioned in the same sentence as GS tarnishes the Apple name.

Hope Tim took a long shower after being at GS...
Yes; you said that more elegantly than my poor attempt.
iKenny303 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:18 PM   #31
Peace
macrumors P6

Did Tim just mention Multi-touch and Mac Pro in the same sentence ?
Peace is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:26 PM   #32
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

I heard a guy who seems comfortable in his role as CEO. Made a joke or two and had good inflection in his voice. Apple is in very capable hands.
rdowns is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:27 PM   #33
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Tim may be a great CEO but he's a boring speaker. Apple needs someone else to do product events.
The investors don't seem to mind his speaking skills. The stock went up about 5 points since he started talking.
mbh is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:34 PM   #34
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
The investors don't seem to mind his speaking skills. The stock went up about 5 points since he started talking.

And is continuing to rise in after-hours trading, up over $2 so far.

Cook's statement regarding Chinese workers was well played. The market liked it. Apple is moving to do something (slower than many may like) and I bet groans were heard in the corner offices of companies who manufacture in China.
rdowns is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:36 PM   #35
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbh View Post
Can you read ? I said "product events" not investor relations.
Peace is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #36
anomie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Waiting for the "Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs" comments...
Yeah, he is better than SJ who never cared at all about the ones who actually build their products.
Instead he liked talking to students about living their upperclass career-dreams.
anomie is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:38 PM   #37
h00ligan
macrumors 68030

The biggest point he made it seems was the discussion of who wasn't buying and how much market there is still.
h00ligan is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:39 PM   #38
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

i only read it but thought it read nicely.
well thought out, mostly, and great info here.

I liked the "other platform" or whatever when referring to Android.
BJMRamage is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:40 PM   #39
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

This makes them both criminals.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:44 PM   #40
adamtj11
macrumors 6502

It's good to see Apple still care for the Mac. It would be a sad sad day the day they didn't , although the iPad is enough for a lot of people, theres still 60 million of us who use Macs. Well played Tim.
adamtj11 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:47 PM   #41
myhaksown
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Price is rarely the most important thing. A cheap product might sell some units. Somebody gets it home and they feel great when they pay the money, but then they get it home and use it and the joy is gone. The joy is gone every day that they use it until they aren't using it anymore. You don't keep remembering "I got a good deal!" because you hate it!
So true I had an Archos G9 101 Android Tablet which I saved $40 on from newegg. I returned it twice before I gave up and said I'll wait for the iPad 3. As far as I'm concerned I know Apple will get it right for me every time and if they dont theres an Apple Store nearby so I dont have to wait a week for a replacement.
myhaksown is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:55 PM   #42
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I saw how long this was, and I didn't even consider reading it. If it were Steve, I wouldn't have considered not reading it.
R.I.P
Old Feb 14, 2012, 03:56 PM   #43
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMRamage View Post
I liked the "other platform" or whatever when referring to Android.
I was thinking "the platform that shall not be named."
Night Spring is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:04 PM   #44
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
I think some of us need to move on past the Steve Jobs era.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:07 PM   #45
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

I like that he said that Apple wasn't afraid to cannibalize their other products. It's always been my contention that if a company won't release a product that kills their cash cow, then their competitor will. Better to kill it yourself and control the future.
glenthompson is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:08 PM   #46
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Can you read ? I said "product events" not investor relations.
Which this isn't... If you're determined to go with that line of thinking how about waiting for an actual product event and seeing how he does rather than a technology / business conference? Just a thought

A thought on the China / Supply Chain thing that's been bugging me for a while but Tim's announcement today drove home. Once Apple have their house in order (and be in no doubt they will, that's very clearly their objective right now and they're way too big a contract for suppliers to walk away from) and all this information is independently audited and published on a regular basis... what's to stop them just going "Right, we've done our part... how about you Samsung / Microsoft / Every Single Major Electronics Manufacturer?". That would surely be one hell of a marketing message if they decided to use it.
smiddlehurst is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:09 PM   #47
elppa
macrumors 68040

Tim Cook speaks slowly because he is choosing his words carefully and thinking about what is coming out of his mouth.

It is refreshing. It's far more common for people to speak quickly, use a lot of words, but not really say anything at all.

I don't see it as a sign of lack of charisma. By the end of the talk his passion for Apple shone through.
elppa is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:19 PM   #48
wyneken
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I heard a guy who seems comfortable in his role as CEO. Made a joke or two and had good inflection in his voice. Apple is in very capable hands.
That's what I think, too.

Remember this is a guy who said "I don't give a rat's ass" about fame, and "I never want to see my name in the paper." He would have been happy as Steve's lieutenant for the rest of his career, I think. But it didn't work out that way, Steve chose him years ago, apparently as his successor, so Tim has stepped up to the plate, big-time.

He can't turn himself magically into a charismatic personality. Who would want him to pretend to be something he's not? I'm much happier seeing him comfortable being who he is. He's not Steve, but he's also not a typical, slick and fast-talking CEO by any stretch. He actually seems like a real person.
wyneken is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:21 PM   #49
Krazy Bill
Banned

iPods, iPhones and iPads... iThis and iThat.

Somebody please throw us MBP users a few crumbs please.... Remember us? We started it all.
Krazy Bill is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:51 PM   #50
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiddlehurst View Post
Which this isn't... If you're determined to go with that line of thinking how about waiting for an actual product event and seeing how he does rather than a technology / business conference? Just a thought

A thought on the China / Supply Chain thing that's been bugging me for a while but Tim's announcement today drove home. Once Apple have their house in order (and be in no doubt they will, that's very clearly their objective right now and they're way too big a contract for suppliers to walk away from) and all this information is independently audited and published on a regular basis... what's to stop them just going "Right, we've done our part... how about you Samsung / Microsoft / Every Single Major Electronics Manufacturer?". That would surely be one hell of a marketing message if they decided to use it.
I've seen him at a product event. And my view stands.
Peace is offline   -4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion