Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Seeks Bankruptcy Court's Blessing to Sue Kodak over Patents

With Kodak having filed last-minute patent lawsuits against Apple and HTC as it was heading into bankruptcy last month, Bloomberg reports that Apple is looking to assert itself against the pioneering photography company with a new lawsuit alleging infringement of Apple-held patents.

While Apple says in its filing with the bankruptcy court overseeing Kodak's case that it is not required to seek approval for a lawsuit, Apple notes that it is requesting the court's blessing "out of an abundance of caution".
Quote:
Apple Inc. asked a bankruptcy judge for permission to sue Eastman Kodak Co. over allegations it's infringing patents that Apple says cover technologies used in printers, digital cameras and digital picture frames. [...]

While arguing bankruptcy law doesn't prevent the filing of infringement suits against a company in court protection, "Apple requests express authority from this court before it initiates the actions out of an abundance of caution," the company's lawyers wrote in the filing.
In a separate case, Apple has been contending that it is the rightful owner of a patent currently held by Kodak. Apple claims that through its partnership with Kodak to produce QuickTake digital cameras during the mid-1990s, Kodak misappropriated intellectual property involved in the project and patented it for itself.

Apple QuickTake 100, manufactured by Kodak (Source: Time)
Apple last month filed a petition with Kodak's bankruptcy court requesting that Kodak not be permitted to use the disputed patent to secure loans supporting the company's restructuring until ownership of the patent is resolved. The U.S. International Trade Commission has preliminarily rejected Apple's ownership claims, but the case and a parallel federal lawsuit remain pending.

Article Link: Apple Seeks Bankruptcy Court's Blessing to Sue Kodak over Patents
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Hayman1995
macrumors newbie

Kick them when they're down.
Hayman1995 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:55 PM   #3
TSE
macrumors 68030

Wow Apple.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
daverso
macrumors regular

didn't Tim Cook just say they had a more cash than they need, or something like that?
daverso is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:56 PM   #5
decimortis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman1995 View Post
I was going to post those exact 5 words.

D.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Lets sue a dying corp.Lets do it for the LULZ
DerekRod is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #7
wikus
Banned

That is low.

I thought with the absence of steve jobs apple would become less of a douchey company, but its actually gotten worse.

nice to see apple turn into everything it was against.

wikus is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:58 PM   #8
justanothernerd
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverso View Post
didn't Tim Cook just say they had a more cash than they need, or something like that?
It makes sense to me -- Apple has to always maintain a strong image that they take patent litigation seriously, no matter the company involved. If other companies get the idea that they can sue apple and apple won't fight back because they have "more cash than they need", it would become a much bigger problem for them. My guess is that this is as much a defensive move as it is an offensive one.
justanothernerd is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:00 PM   #9
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
They don't have the right to counter sue them just because they are in bankruptcy? We all know Apple with sue to protect their IP.
spazzcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:00 PM   #10
allmIne
macrumors 6502a

It's as well most consumers don't give a toss about this sort of thing.

Apple would have went down in many estimations a long time ago.
allmIne is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:01 PM   #11
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

At this point, why not just buy the patents out right? Note: honest question as I don't know how much they go for.
guzhogi is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:01 PM   #12
Spock
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Spock Send a message via Yahoo to Spock
Apple should just buyout Kodak, discontinue the entire line, consume all patents and sell the name. Done.
Spock is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:02 PM   #13
HBOC
macrumors 68020

Quote:
My first reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajrandall View Post
It makes sense to me -- Apple has to always maintain a strong image that they take patent litigation seriously, no matter the company involved. If other companies get the idea that they can sue apple and apple won't fight back because they have "more cash than they need", it would become a much bigger problem for them. My guess is that this is as much a defensive move as it is an offensive one.
This does make sense. Just because they (Kodak) filed bankruptcy doesn't negate anything.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:02 PM   #14
TrentS
macrumors 6502

Law Suits

Dang, I should have studied to become a patent attorney.

Last edited by TrentS; Feb 15, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
TrentS is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:03 PM   #15
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
At this point, why not just buy the patents out right? Note: honest question as I don't know how much they go for.
If the courts liquidate them, Apple will have a chance to do that, until then Apple can't just buy them.
spazzcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:06 PM   #16
840quadra

It comes to the point where I wonder if the PR department at Apple is starting to ask for some of these Lawsuits to stop. I understand that protecting the IP is definitely important, however are they factoring in the potential cost to their public image?
840quadra is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:07 PM   #17
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

How many lawsuits is AAPL currently juggling??? This is absurd. Having been from Rochester, NY I can tell you that the effects of Kodak's closing is horrendous on an already depressed economy. It's business, certainly, but why didn't AAPL sue before if this was an issue? Why now? Why at all???
bedifferent is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:08 PM   #18
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra View Post
It comes to the point where I wonder if the PR department at Apple is starting to ask for some of these Lawsuits to stop. I understand that protecting the IP is definitely important, however are they factoring in the potential cost to their public image?
I guess you didn't see their results last quarter? I would say 99% of their customers don't know or care about lawsuits...
spazzcat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:08 PM   #19
lilsoccakid74
macrumors 6502

As a student who has lived his whole life in Rochester NY, location of Kodaks roots, it is sad to see this. While growing up, over half of my friends parents worked at Kodak, and my father was a Sr. Process Development Engineer for 30 years. We are the first generation from Rochester who won't be able to rely on Kodak for a career.

Let them be apple.
lilsoccakid74 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:09 PM   #20
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
I think Kodak has been suing Apple in the past, and is trying to use bankruptcy protection to avoid being countersued. In addition, if Apple does actually have the rights to this patent, then allowing Kodak to borrow money against the value of the patent, or to sell it, would create a really messy situation.
gnasher729 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:09 PM   #21
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CoreWhore View Post
How many lawsuits is AAPL currently juggling??? This is absurd. Having been from Rochester, NY I can tell you that the effects of Kodak's closing is horrendous on an already depressed economy. It's business, certainly, but why didn't AAPL sue before if this was an issue? Why now? Why at all???
Has Kodak really created anything in the last 10 years???
spazzcat is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:09 PM   #22
jkichline
macrumors regular

The reason...

The reason why Apple is asking if they can sue is because Kodak, while in bankruptcy, is still suing Apple. If you were concerned about your financial affairs, you wouldn't continue an expensive legal battle and Apple needs to defend it's patents regardless. It's just that Apple is asking if that's ok today so they are at least giving Kodak a chance to back off since they are in bankruptcy.
jkichline is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Sofabutt
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Sofabutt Send a message via Yahoo to Sofabutt Send a message via Skype™ to Sofabutt
Apple is ******** on its own good reputation.

I left microsofts windows years ago for the same bad reputation apple is earning for itself nowadays.

Looks like the future is Linux or qnx
Sofabutt is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #24
dr01dy
macrumors member

Poor Rochester.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:11 PM   #25
emaja
macrumors 68000

Can we change the name of this website to "AppleLawsuits.com"?

With all the litigation, I feel like it at least deserves its own sub-forum or tab at the top.

emaja is offline   14 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion