Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Hmm... I wonder what the hardware support will be like with Mountain Lion...

Will they drop support for the non-multitouch MBPs, for example?
Will they set the baseline at Santa Rosa or newer?
Or will everything supported by Lion be supported by Mountain Lion?

And... will it be a paid upgrade from Lion? Or will it be a free update via the AppStore?

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
Mountain Lion..? Is this a joke? OS X is a DESKTOP operating system, iOS is a HANDHELD operating system, iOS>! OS X, they should not be mixed. I really do not like the way computing is going.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009

Gruber's take:

So this Gatekeeper thing is the first step towards a walled garden OS X, where only certified devs will be able to distribute their stuff?

On topic .. damn I didn't even manage to upgrade to Lion yet and they are pushing out the next big cat already .. did not see that one coming.

T.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

i always love changes, stuff gets boring after a while but maybe thats just me. i say bring it on ^^

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Hmmmm, will I be able to have my non-mac app store programs on my Mac if I upgrade to this?

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Microsoft is going to poop themselves... They can barely make a decent version of Windows once every 3 years or so... With Mac OS getting an overhaul once a year, it will make Microsoft dizzy! lol :)

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
anything new on iTunes i really like to see better controls of apps the way it is now really blows. :(

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Hopefully there's some under the hood performance improvements as well. These added features are nice but Lion already gobbles down all the resources it can get its paws on.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Hmm... I wonder what the hardware support will be like with Mountain Lion...

Will they drop support for the non-multitouch MBPs, for example?
Will they set the baseline at Santa Rosa or newer?
Or will everything supported by Lion be supported by Mountain Lion?

And... will it be a paid upgrade from Lion? Or will it be a free update via the AppStore?

My prediction:

System Requirements:
- Any Mac with a Thunderbolt Port
- Internet connection for iCloud Sign-up (required to even log in to system)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Mountain Lion permits App Store apps only by default

Sounds like Mountain Lion will, by default, only allow apps to be installed from the App Store:

"Gatekeeper is a revolutionary new security feature... You can choose to install apps from any source, just as you do on a Mac today, or you can use the safer default setting to install apps from the Mac App Store..."

Is Mountain Lion the next step towards requiring all apps to be signed and distributed through the app store in the future? Will we be jail breaking our Macs one day?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Mountain Lion..? Is this a joke? OS X is a DESKTOP operating system, iOS is a HANDHELD operating system, iOS>! OS X, they should not be mixed. I really do not like the way computing is going.

You've never heard of "best of both worlds"?

Seriously there is nothing wrong with these updates. If you don't like them you don't have to use them but they're good updates.

Unifying the desktop OS with the mobile OS is exactly what Microsoft is trying to do too. People nowadays need this type of integration.

If you don't like notifications, turn them off. If you don't like gatekeeper, turn it off. You can still use your desktop for everything you currently do, nothing is limiting you from that.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
At first I thought that Mountain Lion image was a mockup, but I went to the Apple site, and it's the official one. There's something about it that doesn't look right.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I really don't like the sound of it. I don't want my desktop to act as a portable device... where Apple is going is a very uncertain territory.

Typical knee-jerk MR comment. How is your desktop acting like a portable device? :rolleyes:

Apple are smartly unifying apps and tasks across their desktop and mobile OS. This will sell more Macs to Windows users who own iOS devices.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
Sounds like Mountain Lion will, by default, only allow apps to be installed from the App Store:

"Gatekeeper is a revolutionary new security feature... You can choose to install apps from any source, just as you do on a Mac today, or you can use the safer default setting to install apps from the Mac App Store..."

Is Mountain Lion the first step towards requiring all apps to be signed in the future? Will we be jail breaking our Macs one day?

from Gruber:

"The default for this setting is, I say, exactly right: the one in the middle, disallowing only unsigned apps. This default setting benefits users by increasing practical security, and also benefits developers, preserving the freedom to ship whatever software they want for the Mac, with no approval process."

basically devs can sign apps not in the app store with their dev account. so they can skip the App store and still have "sanctioned" apps

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011

Is Mountain Lion the first step towards requiring all apps to be signed in the future? Will we be jail breaking our Macs one day?
What happens if you need non-mac app store programs?

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
iMessage download page is down (on Apple's site... never thought I would see that overloaded) anyone have a mirror?

ennerseed

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
Game Center

The video says you can play games with users on iPad iPhone and iPod Touch...

Does that mean you will be able to play iOS games on your mac???

Or are they just Mac Game Center games that have iOS equivalents (which makes more sense)?

I am just hoping for touch screen Macs really...

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Our apologies but there was an unexpected error with the application. This problem has been noted, and an email has been sent to the administrators. Please check back in a few hours to try the download again.
quoted from here

There seems to be a problem with the App...

tgdbowler

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Been waiting for Airplay Mirroring on the Mac for awhile now. Excited this is finally coming. This feature alone is worth the upgrade. Notification Center will be a nice addition as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.