Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the OS X Mountain Lion developer preview released today, Apple has also pushed out Safari 5.2 for Lion to developers. The update brings a number of new features that will be included with Safari in OS X Mountain Lion later this year.

safari_5_2_dev.jpg

Among the new additions are a unified address/search bar, new persistent Reader icon that is blue when available and grey when inactive, and new URL styling to highlight the domain the page is on while deemphasizing other aspects of the URL.

safari_5_2_window.jpg

Apple has not said when it plans to release Safari 5.2 for OS X Lion to the public, but it will presumably do so alongside OS X Mountain Lion in "late summer". Apple just recently began seeding Safari 5.1.4 to developers, and the company will likely continue with the 5.1.x line on Lion until the Mountain Lion launch.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Safari 5.2 for OS X Lion to Developers

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
No RSS support

Apple dropped RSS support in this release, so for me (and I think a whole lot others) it's completely useless at the moment.

drewcosten

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2007
Toronto, ON
Apple dropped RSS support in this release, so for me (and I think a whole lot others) it's completely useless at the moment.

I was just about to ask about this. Has this been confirmed? In Lion, you can hold the mouse down on the Reader button to see the RSS feeds. Has that definitely been removed in Mountain Lion's Safari?

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Very impressed. Feels like more of an update from 5.1 than 5 was from 4. Snappy and clean and don't use RSS

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Never used RSS feeds, so that doesn't bother me one bit. However I am happy that they have finally integrated the address bar with the search function. Took them long enough. However I am not a fan of how the tabs look when they are opened. When you open a second tab, it takes up half the window. Yuck. I also wouldn't mind the tabs being above the window like in way earlier builds of Safari.

iheartiphone4

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
La Crosse, WI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They are going to a Google Chrome feel. I love google chrome and switched to it from Safari because it's cleaner, but it looks like Apple is fixing the "messy" issues Safari had.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They are going to a Google Chrome feel. I love google chrome and switched to it from Safari because it's cleaner, but it looks like Apple is fixing the "messy" issues Safari had.

Chrome is cleaner than Safari? What kind of sick joke is this?

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
A few other notes.

Little faster.
It's still sucking memory (mainly when visiting pages with iframes and social buttons).
Keychain within Safari prefs!
Remote cookie block now (explicitly) blocks advertisers too.
Bugreport from within Safari is completely removed now.
Pop-up blocker quick-preference gone.
Tabs now completely fill the tab bar, not just when you have 9 or 10 open, even with 1 (and that's really UGLY).
Top sites is finally fixed and now opens without delay or slowdowns.

Edit

Favicons are gone.
Location bar now grays out the request part of the URL and hides "http" (I HATE that).
Uninstalled it now, but seems like the Reset Safari option is gone too.

Does it fix the random tab reloading?

The tab reloading isn't random. Pages are refreshed when there is no interaction on the page for exactly 30 minutes. But I do hate this too.

Last edited:

drewcosten

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2007
Toronto, ON
RSS in safari was quite bad…

I recommend you this:

Google Reader + Reeder

Google Reader to sync your RSS subscription along all your devices.

Reader to sync with Google Reader

http://www.google.com/reader

http://reederapp.com/mac/

Oh, I don't use Safari to read my RSS feeds, I use Google Reader (in conjunction with Reeder on my MacBook Air and iPad, and Byline on my iPhone), but the RSS button in the address bar made it really easy to find the RSS feed addresses quickly.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wow that Reader button is horribly huge and blue… why make it so big and obvious? I mean, all it does is extract the text from the web page, I would not really ever think of using it, and I definitely don't want it to be so obvious!

The rest is great though!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don’t like the big Reader button, but I’ll take it in trade for the unified address bar! Simple is good.

I DO need RSS, and will howl if it’s gone, but I also highly doubt it’s really gone for good. Reader doesn’t do the same thing.

Remember how Apple removed the progress bar, and then came to their senses! So I hold out hope.

I think the URL styling should be different:

* Black for the domain

* That too-light gray they now have, but ONLY for slashes and punctuation

* A dark gray (not black) for all other letters and numbers

Then any text in the URL would be extra readable.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
What, RSS is gone? This has gotta be the worst version of Safari I've encountered thus far. I jumped on the Mac bandwagon with Mac OS X Tiger when RSS was one of the most heavily trumpeted new features in Safari 2, and I've used it ever since. Seriously hope it makes a comeback before the release - I see no reason why they removed it.

And what's up with the iPad-style tab bar? Now I have to constantly refocus my mouse pointer in order to close a few tabs that are next to each other. It may work on the iPad where there's no mouse but on the Mac... That was the case with Safari 4 betas as well which had resizing tabs on top (which I hated). They changed it back so here's hoping they will do the same here.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
And what's up with the iPad-style tab bar? Now I have to constantly refocus my mouse pointer in order to close a few tabs that are next to each other.

Actually, if you're just deleting several off the right side, you could just leave your mouse in the corner on the right and the resizing tabs would always have the rightmost X right under your mouse, right?

Edit: Nevermind, the X appears on the left. So the leftmost tabs could always be closed.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Is the merged search/address feature optional?

I really dislike searching in the address bar, main reason I don't use Chrome.

P.S. Who still uses RSS feeds?

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The tab reloading isn't random. Pages are refreshed when there is no interaction on the page for exactly 30 minutes. But I do hate this too.

I realize that it's intended behavior, I just can't for the life of me figure out why. When I have youtube links open in the background, and everything reloads, then I have youtube videos spontaneously playing. How can that possibly be a good idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.