Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Had to notify two friends of mine, who have Late '06 iMacs with the X1600, about this news. They were a bit distressed, but at the same time were content with keeping their systems on Lion / Win7 for a bit longer.

Either way, considering AAPL's track record with quick discontinuation of older hardware this comes as no surprise.

I expect it's more of AMD's doing in the case of the X1600 than Apple. They discontinued driver support for it as Windows 7 released back in 2009.

SilverOnemi

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
well, one of the main marketing plots is that " macs last forever ", but what about now? is 3 years the time our macbooks are supposed to last now?

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
That's odd

As far as i read the preview from Apple's webpage, i don't see anything that could prevent 10.8 running on Macs with Intel graphic card. Not sure why would Apple want to do that, but that's Apple. While i still enjoying Windows 7 on my old old AMD Athlon64 PC built on 2005. Looking forward for Windows 8 on my old machine, while i throw my old Macbook away. Oh well, i am more will torrent 10.8 and install on my Macbook Pro. Not paying Apple single penny.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

cube said:
WTF?

Anyway, no Rosetta, no Lion.

I created a separate SL partition for the few programs I have that need Rosetta. That way I can enjoy the features of Lion the rest of the time. Just a thought.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
well, one of the main marketing plots is that " macs last forever ", but what about now? is 3 years the time our macbooks are supposed to last now?

I don't think anyone ever claimed that Macs last forever. And your Mac will still work.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Well the GMA 945/950 was weak when it was released. Let alone several years down the road. Not to say it's trash as that little chipset does handle Windows 7 Aero pretty well, but it does have a fine black line of limitations. I assume Apple has finally accepted that.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

theSeb said:
I agree, but given I was already tricked into getting Lion, I may as well go forward with Mountain Lion.

Oh, and missing from your list:
Widgets and Spaces.

Seriously, what the heck were they thinking when they decided to change how those worked? I vastly preferred the old system of having 2x2 spaces with a layer of widgets on top of them all. I could access any space or widget with just one gesture. Now if I want to get to my widget from space 4, I have to cross space 3, 2, and 1, and then go all the way back to get back to them.

Or go into that mess known as system control.

Bleh!

... maybe I can benefit from Apple's lack of including obvious features again and just write a little app that adds them in?
You can have your widgets come up on any space with F12. I don't understand the issue?

I liked the 2x2 layout better than 1x4 as well, but it's really not a big deal because you can program shortcuts for pretty much whatever you want, including jumping to a space, pulling up widgets, and Exposé.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
My Mac Mini doesn't support Lion, so the mountain version not being supported even more. Sticking with Snow Leopard until of course I get new hardware.

My BlackBook supports Lion, but I need to run Fusion and VMWare suggests 4GB RAM (alone) to run Fusion on Lion. People run it on less, but those with older machines complain about a lack of speed in those cases. I could go from 4GB to 6GB (per OWC), but that is another $100 and I really like my setup with Spaces in Snow Leopard.

True or not, that's kinda how I'm approaching things at this point.

Apple's support for machines has been trending toward a three-year limit (like AppleCare) from the end of a particular model.

Personally, I have been thinking about upgrading, but after reading about Ivy Bridge and Haswell, I have decided that while IB offers a nice CPU improvement, Haswell is the better upgrade because of the advancement of Intel's integrated graphics with Haswell. Given Apple's tendency to EOL hardware based on graphics, I think Apple will support a Haswell-based system longer than IB just based on graphics ability.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I thought Apple used to advertise how their machines used to get updates for years. Like 7 years.

To be honest, the main features of ML are just a few new apps. If your computer can run L, then it should be able to run ML.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Next big issues for me... the inaccessibility of widgets (why is there no gesture to reach the dashboard?)

With your trackpad, three finger swipe left or right will switch between full screen apps or other desktops you have open. From desktop 1, a three finger swipe right will bring you to the dashboard.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The both of you just made my day a whole lot better. I saw Late-2008 up there and got worried for a minute. I'm extremely happy with my decision now. Still rocking the removable battery and the latest OS. It's a good day. :)

Are there any odds is decision could be reversed, or are we (the Unibody Aluminum MacBook users) pretty safely locked in to getting Mountain Lion? I'm happy with Lion, but I would like to know I'm still thought about in Apple's world.

Great, great news. Can't wait to update. Even though it feels like Lion just came out. :p
Yeah, I was pretty worried about my Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook, but it seems to be safe. Reason being it has a dedicated Nvidia 9400M, which is pretty much equivalent to Nvidia 320M and the latest Intel 3000 that the current-gen 13" MacBook Air/Pros sport. I hope this MacBook lasts me a long time cuz I love it. :)

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
So Mountain Lion won't run on a Mac mini I purchased new in 2007 but I have no problem at all running Windows 8 on a laptop I purchased in 2004. Strange. Thanks a lot Apple.

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Oh, and I just remembered one of my favorite features that they touted in Snow Leopard and then promptly removed in Lion.

Click and hold on any icon in the dock and it would show you all the windows for whichever app you were pointing at! Fantastically handy! So intuitive that even though it's gone in Lion, I still try doing it all the freakin' time (and it never works. :( )

I'm not sure I understand you, I am on Lion, when I click and hold on an application icon in the dock, all the open windows of that application are listed on the top of the pop up menu. I use this all the time when web browsing as I will often have multiple windows instead of tabs for this exact use.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
how about my (old)MBP
  • MacBook Pro 3,1 (2007)
  • 2.4GHz C2D, 4MB L2, 2 cores
  • 800MHz bus
  • 4GB 667 MHz, DDR2 SDRAM,
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB
  • Western Digital 5400RPM 500GB

would I be outta luck ?

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
You aren't the only one saying it might be free. Can you provide a precedent? When has Apple ever offered a free OS or major software (aside from the ones installed on the machine)? How would they make money with all that product development?

tl;dr: The Mac is now just a device. Apple doesn't charge for major OS releases on their devices.

Long version:
There doesn't have to be a precedent. Consider Steve Jobs' statement at 2011 WWDC that Apple is going to, "...demote the PC and the Mac to just be a device; just like an iPhone, an iPad, and an iPod touch." With today's announcements, Apple has truly made the Mac just another device in 10.8 and Apple doesn't charge for OS releases to their devices. Why would the Mac be any different than the others? It's now just another device. The move to a yearly release schedule all but proves this, in my mind. They want to keep both OSes in sync so that the user experiences can be unified in an iCloud way.

Surprisingly, $29 is a barrier to updating for some users. It's far better than $129, but it's not $0. Unless users upgrade quickly to new OS X releases, Apple won't be able to continue pushing their iCloud strategy on all of their devices. Removing the cost barrier is one way of ensuring more people upgrade sooner and this is better for Apple in the long run due to the better experience for customers.

Apple's amazing bottom line comes from the purchase of high-margin hardware products, not from OS software releases. If Apple is willing to forgo revenue from iOS releases (which can't be significantly cheaper to develop and test than OS X), then I see no reason why they won't eventually do the same for OS X since the Mac is now, say it with me, just another device.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but this all seems way too logical to me. I will be shocked if Apple doesn't take this approach going forward. It makes too much sense.

----------

I'm not sure I understand you, I am on Lion, when I click and hold on an application icon in the dock, all the open windows of that application are listed on the top of the pop up menu. I use this all the time when web browsing as I will often have multiple windows instead of tabs for this exact use.

That's different. The OP was talking about Dock Expose, now called App Expose, where just the open windows for the app will show. What you see is just text, not the actual window contents (which is far more usable). Read my response a few pages back.

jmccray

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Well, it looks like my mid-2007 iMac will be supported. I started out with Tiger, then moved to Leopard, SL, Lion and now Mountain Lion. I've gotten my money's worth and then some, so I know I'll have to upgrade next year!

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Few questions

1) any idea id ML is less resource hungary than Lion?
2)If these are free updates, do you think that Apple will prevent users from the ability to downgrade the OS?

----------

In SL, when you do that, it acts as expose for the app you are holding. In lion, it just has a list of what windows that app has open

MacintoshUser86

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Primos, PA
I should be ok.

I have an early 2008 iMac running the Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.66GHz and it's 64bit from top to bottom with 4gigs DDR2 of Ram. My video card is the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro with 256MB of VRam.

And I'm currently running Lion perfectly.

Should I be ok?

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
It gets worse. Mission control is a complete failure.

Try working on 2 documents in Illustrator, 3 in Photoshop and 1 in Indesign, and having a couple finder windows open, Xee, and some other stuff. Youre currently in one of your photoshop documents and you need to find a file, open it in illustrator and bring it into photoshop.

In Snow Leopard:

show all windows all at once in expose, go to finder (any finder window) open in illustrator, copy object, show all windows again all at once and go DIRECTLY into the desired photoshop document and paste.

In Lion:

show all windows in mission control, and then get stuck with all finder windows being grouped together. randomly choose one and then find window. then open file in illustrator, copy object and use mission control only to find all photoshop document windows AGAIN be grouped, which the only solution is to pick the front document and hope its the desired one, and if not, use mission control AGAIN to fan out all documents within the application, requiring another useless step, just like the initial step with finder.

Who the hell was in charge of mission control?

And why is there no option in system preferences for mission control to show all windows at once without grouping?!

Try pressing the spacebar over a highlighted window in grouped-up mode. It works just like you'd expect (QuickLook). I think the issue you're having is learning the new way Apple expects you to do things. It is annoying that they make these kinds of decisions for us though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.