Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
why isn't there a mac app? why can't i read my books on my computer? why did they leave this one out? *cries*

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple has yet to address this issue, and I suspect it won't in the near future, unfortunately

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Because it would be a pain in the butt to read a book on a Mac.

sure, reading a book on a Mac isn't optimal, but it's still a nice feature to have because sometimes when I'm sitting at my Mac, and I think of a passage in a book, I'd like to be able to access the book right away instead of having to dig out my iPad or my iPhone.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
The Mac app "BookReader" by Leo Mesentsev has a GUI similar to that of iBooks on iOS devices.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Because it would be a pain in the butt to read a book on a Mac.
Ahh but imagine you're doing a paper for a class and you want to bring up a textbook or 2 to reference? It would be more painful to have to use an iPad as well in that case.

I hope that iBooks on OS X would allow you to have a few books open for reference and hopefully the same book open to a few spots.

Last edited:

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
why? you can read kindle and kobo on computers, its like reading forums... is it a pain in the butt to read forums? :confused:

Forums are different, most content consumed on a computer is short-form. Books are long form, and are best enjoyed in physical book form or on a tablet/ereader of some kind.

Ahh but imagine you're doing a paper for a class and you want to bring up a textbook or 2 to reference? It would be more painful to have to use an iPad as well in that case.

I would that iBooks on OS X would wallow you to have a few books open for reference and hopefully the same book open to a few spots.

I didn't really think of that.

Maybe it will be announced alongside Siri for Mac. :)

nostylluan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
Forums are different, most content consumed on a computer is short-form. Books are long form, and are best enjoyed in physical book form or on a tablet/ereader of some kind.

this is a biased opinion, i like to read on my computer, i don't have any problems with my screen (just like an ipad). i don't need to physically have something in my hands to read... ever heard of being on a bed with a laptop? or on a couch?

i read kindle on my computer, and i like it.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
this is a biased opinion, i like to read on my computer, i don't have any problems with my screen (just like an ipad). i don't need to physically have something in my hands to read... ever heard of being on a bed with a laptop? or on a couch?

Agreed. I've downloaded a bunch of the Apple Developer Guides in PDF and added them to iBooks. Sure I could just also keep them in a folder on my Mac, but it would be nice to have a simple interface, where all my Guides are synchronized and available with one click. (Ever try reading a technical guide on a 3GS?) :eek: <- That's what your eyes would look like.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

agreed. I'd rather read on my 27" screen than a 10" tablet or a 3.5" phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.