Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
You have a Power Mac G5, not a Mac Pro. You'll want to see the PowerPC forum for this question.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
You have a Power Mac G5, not a Mac Pro. You'll want to see the PowerPC forum for this question.

In the time it took you to type that snotty response you could have simply answered his question.

I believe any SATA drive will work fine. Though you might be limited to SATA 1.5gb/s operation. Not sure about that part.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
In the time it took you to type that snotty response you could have simply answered his question.

I don't know the answer to his question. I pointed him somewhere that might. How is that snotty?

I believe any SATA drive will work fine.

And you don't either. Like I said, the PowerPC forum would be able to answer this better most likely.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Largest is 2tb
if you try a 3 tb it will only read 2.2tb

As long as it's for storage and not for use as a boot drive, OP can partition with GUID and use all 3 TBs on each drive. PowerPC Macs require the Apple Partition Map for booting, though. The boot volume, therefore, is limited to 2.2TB.

benjancewicz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Thank you for all your responses, and for the correction. My main machine is a Mac Pro, and I forgot that there was a PowerPC forum.

As long as it's for storage and not for use as a boot drive, OP can partition with GUID and use all 3 TBs on each drive. PowerPC Macs require the Apple Partition Map for booting, though. The boot volume, therefore, is limited to 2.2TB.

So does this mean that the slave drive would read 3TB?

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Thank you for all your responses, and for the correction. My main machine is a Mac Pro, and I forgot that there was a PowerPC forum.

So does this mean that the slave drive would read 3TB?

Yes. You can have a 2TB boot drive (APM) and a 3TB data/storage drive (GUID). Since we're not talking IDE/PATA, it's not really a "slave" drive. There is no master-slave relationship between SATA drives.

Also, with the addition of a SATA card, you can add more drives if 5TB is not sufficient for your needs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.