Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:07 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

After Beta, Messages Will Be Exclusive to OS X Mountain Lion

Consomac has discovered that the OS X Lion Messages Beta that was released yesterday will not be a permanent feature for Lion users. Messages is the new iMessage-compatible version of iChat that will be included in OS X Mountain Lion. Apple also released a public beta version for OS X Lion users to try the app in the meanwhile.

Based on the text strings found in the App's resources, it has been revealed that Messages will no longer be available for Lion users once the beta expires. Instead, Apple tells users to visit the App Store to purchase OS X Mountain Lion to continue to use Messages:
Quote:
Thank you for participating in the Messages Beta program. With the inclusion of Messages in OS X Mountain Lion, the Messages Beta program has ended.

To continue using Messages, please visit the Mac App Store and purchase OS X Mountain Lion.
OS X Mountain Lion will be a paid update and is expected to be released in late summer.

Article Link: After Beta, Messages Will Be Exclusive to OS X Mountain Lion
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:08 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

Unfortunate, but not unexpected. Google Voice it is!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:10 AM   #3
alex00100
macrumors regular

but c'mon who isnt going to upgrade? (if you dont have an integrated video a few years old...)

Last edited by alex00100; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:16 AM.
alex00100 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:12 AM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Clever marketing. Get people using the beta, get people to upgrade to ML. Though I also suspect the folks who are reading this and downloading a beta would be upgrading to ML anyway...
MacRumorUser is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:12 AM   #5
m2uk
macrumors regular

A stupid, artificial bad move from Apple. Or at least make iChat able to send the iMessages, even if you cannot use whatever the latest whizzy feature is.
m2uk is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:13 AM   #6
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502

Damn you Apple. I love your products but unbelievable greed excretes form every pore of you. If it isn't bad enough that my 2007 blackbook won't run Mountain Lion you now are denying your faithful customers useful features. Listen i can't afford a nice shiny new Mac to have this feature, so how about you cut the little guy some slack and make this available to all.
CplBadboy is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Calidude
Banned

This is only surprising to Apple loyalists who think Apple makes the grass grow.
Calidude is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:16 AM   #8
Aniday
macrumors regular

Kinda sucks considering they replaced iChat. Will they have to push an update to Lion users to rip them off of an update? wtf
Aniday is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:17 AM   #9
Bodypainter
macrumors regular

This Is The side about Apple that i don't like at all. They are artificially limiting The User and know that this Is how they can Pressure him to Upgrade. it's incredible that such behaviour would lead to People hating Microsoft if they die that, but Apple Fans so Not speak up against it and 'swallow' this unfaithful Trick against Apples own customers.
Bodypainter is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:18 AM   #10
igazza
macrumors 6502a

Should we expect ML to be the same price as lion ?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Aniday
macrumors regular

They're encouraging piracy with this, really. No computer savvy person would put up with this enough to pay over 15 bucks for this update.
Aniday is offline   -15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:22 AM   #12
String
macrumors member

Some people who can use Lion but can't go up to ML, gma users, might be annoyed.
String is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:24 AM   #13
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
I was thinking after beta, Messages will be $0.99 for Lion users, and included with Mountain Lion. This is what they did with FaceTime.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:25 AM   #14
Macintosheux
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniday View Post
Kinda sucks considering they replaced iChat. Will they have to push an update to Lion users to rip them off of an update? wtf
There is an other message in the source code giving you the option to reinstall iChat.
Macintosheux is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:25 AM   #15
jwm2
macrumors regular

We don't know all the details yet. I mean a string buried in the beta version doesn't mean its a done deal. I'll reserve judgement until we know for sure.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:25 AM   #16
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplBadboy View Post
Damn you Apple. I love your products but unbelievable greed excretes form every pore of you. If it isn't bad enough that my 2007 blackbook won't run Mountain Lion you now are denying your faithful customers useful features. Listen i can't afford a nice shiny new Mac to have this feature, so how about you cut the little guy some slack and make this available to all.
I don't know what you expected, your Macbook is 5 freaking years old, of course it can't get every shiny new OS, jeez. You can still use Snow Leopard or Lion on it, so what is the problem? I nevery understand why people are so obsessed with getting the newest software, but don't want to pay for it or upgrade their hardware. Maybe Apple knows, that Messages can't be integrated without problems in Lion, that's why it will be ML exclusive.
Skoopman is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:26 AM   #17
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Not the smartest move. The "closed garden" approach may work for a lot of things, but not for messaging where you want to be able to message all your friends/family/colleagues, not just those who are Mac users who have upgraded to Mountain Lion.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:27 AM   #18
tigres
macrumors 68040

And to think SL was so 8 months ago.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:28 AM   #19
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
And to think SL was so 8 months ago.
Lion?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:31 AM   #20
lamboman
macrumors 6502

What do you expect? It was a feature marketed with Mountain Lion, if it was to be released for older operating systems, Apple would have done so through the App Store, or at least made it clear that this would be the case.
lamboman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:31 AM   #21
Slogan
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

To be honest, this isn't that surprising. Personally there's no real compelling reason to upgrade to ML (yet), so they have to have 'something', right?.
Slogan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:33 AM   #22
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Not fair Apple, not fair.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
I was thinking after beta, Messages will be $0.99 for Lion users, and included with Mountain Lion. This is what they did with FaceTime.
That, I can understand
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:34 AM   #23
jehrler
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CplBadboy View Post
I agree this is a pretty classless move if, in fact, they keep those of us with Core 2 Duo machines with integrated graphics locked out of ML.

Obviously it can work see the public beta and, just as obviously, this is not a graphics intensive app. Heck, they have a version of Messages that runs on an iPhone!

I really, really hope they rethink this and at least offer it as a .99 app on the App Store.
jehrler is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:35 AM   #24
irishgrizzly
macrumors 65816

This looks like a cheap way to get people to buy ML. I wish they waited and released some real must have features, not a load of iOS baubles.
irishgrizzly is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:36 AM   #25
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Just uninstalled the beta from my Mac. Didn't like it to begin with, but no point keeping it as it'll expire.

If ML is going to cost money (which it seems that it will) I certainly will be sticking to Lion. There's not a single feature that I like of ML.

Wish they put out a real OS update. Nothing big since 10.5 IMO.

10.5 - revolutionary
10.6 - fix 10.5 issues
10.7 - OK, but no "wow" factor. Launchpad as another way to access apps? Well .. okay.
10.8 - 10 new changes to Lion (so far?) Not going to pay $30 for that.

Last edited by wordoflife; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:41 AM.
wordoflife is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion