Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
I wonder how much M.L. would cost. What do you guys think?

Somehow I feel it'd be even less than $29. But I have no real arguments for it.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
I've often thought I ought to make a list of all the little things Apple does to force you to upgrade, so whenever someone gives me that "no one's forcing you to upgrade" BS I could just c&p the list.

I've decided, this is the first item on the list.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
People are willing to pay $2k for a computer but not $25 for a software upgrade? jees! quit complaining!

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Maybe Apple knows, that Messages can't be integrated without problems in Lion, that's why it will be ML exclusive.

If they already know that, why offer a beta that works on Lion? No, this is just a way for Apple to tease current Lion users with something "good", and then make them upgrade to Mountain Lion in order to continue using it. Smells pure greed and disrespect for current customers. Not that I am surprised.

I don't know what you expected, your Macbook is 5 freaking years old, of course it can't get every shiny new OS, jeez. You can still use Snow Leopard or Lion on it, so what is the problem? I nevery understand why people are so obsessed with getting the newest software, but don't want to pay for it or upgrade their hardware. Maybe Apple knows, that Messages can't be integrated without problems in Lion, that's why it will be ML exclusive.

Cant be integrated without problems eh? Well smart ass I have it installed right now and using it without any problems so put that in your pipe and smoke it. And while we are on it. Lion is less than a year old and already they are planning an updated OS. For such a short time frame the ML update should be free to all Lion users. Realistically it should be a 500meg 10.7 update. Hey but dont let me stop you and your Apple blinkers. Your obviously in a position to afford new hardware. Woopy do you but dont assume everyone else is in that boat just because we use Macs. And another thing If i was to purchase a Mac today Id b pretty miffed at having to splash out another 40 bucks or whatever its gonna be in a few months just to upgrade to a new OS. :mad:

waldobushman

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Not going to happen

They replaced iChat with Message Beta. They legally can't leave your machine broken and unsupported.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well its not like its working in the first place :p :mad:

ih1w5v.png

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
I know it's beta, but man the iMessages functionality feels tacked on. It dosen't feel like a well designed Apple product. Hopefully we'll see more improvements to it by the time the final comes out.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
This Is The side about Apple that i don't like at all. They are artificially limiting The User and know that this Is how they can Pressure him to Upgrade. it's incredible that such behaviour would lead to People hating Microsoft if they die that, but Apple Fans so Not speak up against it and 'swallow' this unfaithful Trick against Apples own customers.

I agree with you, and I for one have been charmed by your unusual interpretation of the use of capital letters.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I was thinking after beta, Messages will be $0.99 for Lion users, and included with Mountain Lion. This is what they did with FaceTime.

yes - that is what I also would have expected based on FaceTime ...

But I personally don't care too much, I will install Mountain Lion shortly after it is available (and I know that all the apps I need work). The beta looks promising and I really like the iOS like features (Notification is great)

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Damn you Apple. I love your products but unbelievable greed excretes form every pore of you. If it isn't bad enough that my 2007 blackbook won't run Mountain Lion you now are denying your faithful customers useful features. Listen i can't afford a nice shiny new Mac to have this feature, so how about you cut the little guy some slack and make this available to all. :mad:

I have a 2007 BlackMac and I've been running Lion without any problems since 10.7.2 was released.. Do you know the specific problem you're having?

kjp

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2008
Chicago
Just uninstalled the beta from my Mac. Didn't like it to begin with, but no point keeping it as it'll expire.

If ML is going to cost money (which it seems that it will) I certainly will be sticking to Lion. There's not a single feature that I like of ML.

Wish they put out a real OS update. Nothing big since 10.5 IMO.

10.5 - revolutionary
10.6 - fix 10.5 issues
10.7 - OK, but no "wow" factor. Launchpad as another way to access apps? Well .. okay.
10.8 - 10 new changes to Lion (so far?) Not going to pay $30 for that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10.6 - Completely new architecture (emphasis on 64-bit)
10.7 - Full screen apps, trackpad gestures, iOS like autocorrect/autocomplete, updated Mail and Calendar apps (among others), Launchpad, FaceTime, apps resume after quitting, AutoSave, AirDrop, etc. There's a few "wow" factor items in that list.
10.8 - We truly have no idea what's coming. Apple won't release an OS with 10 new features. Come on...

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Just uninstalled the beta from my Mac. Didn't like it to begin with, but no point keeping it as it'll expire.

If ML is going to cost money (which it seems that it will) I certainly will be sticking to Lion. There's not a single feature that I like of ML.

Wish they put out a real OS update. Nothing big since 10.5 IMO.

10.5 - revolutionary
10.6 - fix 10.5 issues
10.7 - OK, but no "wow" factor. Launchpad as another way to access apps? Well .. okay.
10.8 - 10 new changes to Lion (so far?) Not going to pay $30 for that.

I hope there will be more, especially with the hidden small futures

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It does make sense if you look at the features page of Mountain Lion. The next version is not exactly overwhelming us with new features other than some implementations from iOS. It is rather meagre, to be honest. Giving away iMessage to other OS might reduce the overall value of Mountain Lion and the incentive to pay for it.

As it stands now, I would not be willing to pay for Mountain Lion simply because I absolutely see no added value for me yet. I don’t use Reminders or Notes, hardly any of my friends use iMessage, I don’t care about sharing stuff via the Internet or tweeting about it, and the Notification Centre is just not as a useful to me (frankly, I don’t even miss it now). I can understand that many people may find these features good, but for me this just is not it.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Is this not a beta, which means it will have issues? If you do not like it or it causes issues then just uninstall it. And revert back to ichat.

Did we not have the same thing with facetime where it was a beta then built in to a later OSX?

Or it could be included in Moutain Lion and a paid app for other versions... only time will tell.

kjp

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2008
Chicago
It does make sense if you look at the features page of Mountain Lion. The next version is not exactly overwhelming us with new features other than some implementations from iOS. It is rather meagre, to be honest. Giving away iMessage to other OS might reduce the overall value of Mountain Lion and the incentive to pay for it.

As it stands now, I would not be willing to pay for Mountain Lion simply because I absolutely see no added value for me yet. I don’t use Reminders or Notes, hardly any of my friends use iMessage, I don’t care about sharing stuff via the Internet or tweeting about it, and the Notification Centre is just not as a useful to me (frankly, I don’t even miss it now). I can understand that many people may find these features good, but for me this just is not it.

How can you say it's underwhelming? They just announced the first developer beta. Nobody knows what else will be included in the final release.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Cant be integrated without problems eh? Well smart ass I have it installed right now and using it without any problems so put that in your pipe and smoke it. And while we are on it. Lion is less than a year old and already they are planning an updated OS. For such a short time frame the ML update should be free to all Lion users. Realistically it should be a 500meg 10.7 update. Hey but dont let me stop you and your Apple blinkers. Your obviously in a position to afford new hardware. Woopy do you but dont assume everyone else is in that boat just because we use Macs. And another thing If i was to purchase a Mac today Id b pretty miffed at having to splash out another 40 bucks or whatever its gonna be in a few months just to upgrade to a new OS. :mad:

First of all, calm down. "Your obviously in a..." is spelled "you're" or "you are", a bit emberessing being from the UK and not being able to spell your own language right. Anyway, I am not in the position to buy new Apple hardware every year, heck I even waited 3 years to buy the Mac Mini this year, don't judge people you don't know, kiddo. Second, why should Apple give away a free OS UPGRADE? It's not a freaking update. And what is the problem with an upgrade every year? Why wait 2 years for a new OS instead of having a fresh OS with improvments EVERY YEAR? I can't understand how narrow your thinking is. OS X has come to a point, where you can't expect 100 new simply freaking amazing features to pop up, it is a great product already, deal with it.

By the way, if you would read what I actually wrote, I said maybe Messages can not be integraded WITHOUT PROBLEMS into lion. It's a freaking beta, not final and a lot of people have problems with it. If you do not, praise the lord.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK

But this is only the first Beta, nothing to say much more isnt included or will be included. But I do agree all the Social stuff is a bit boring!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.