Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Who wants a D800H, the compact version of the D4, because neither the D4 nor the D800 fits their needs?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Maybe Nikon wants to liquidate their stock of D3S before a 9fps D800H (with grip) kills it.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
And this myth is based on what? Wait, I have to go take a shot of Big Foot with my D801.5R...

The D700 came out after the D3 satisfied the initial demand.

I am not saying that it will happen. I am saying that a D800H would be consistent with Nikon's tactics.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Fair enough but doesn't it appear that the D4 and D800 fill those spaces? Why create another category that isn't needed?

It is not another category. It is the D700 category, who said it's not needed?
The D800 is in the "compact D3X" category. This one is new and already demanded.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
It is not another category. It is the D700 category, who said it's not needed?
The D800 is in the "compact D3X" category. This one is new and already demanded.

You don't see that the D800 is the combination of the D4 (lessor degree) and an update to the D700? You compare the D800 to the D3X which is partial correct but Nikon combined 2 cameras and did away with a category. You have either the D4 or the D800. A separated niche category is not required. The price of the D800 pretty much signifies this. You can get massive megapixels and near D4 like performance for half as much or you can go full power for more money. I do not see the need for one or two additional cameras.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
You don't see that the D800 is the combination of the D4 (lessor degree) and an update to the D700? You compare the D800 to the D3X which is partial correct but Nikon combined 2 cameras and did away with a category. You have either the D4 or the D800. A separated niche category is not required. The price of the D800 pretty much signifies this. You can get massive megapixels and near D4 like performance for half as much or you can go full power for more money. I do not see the need for one or two additional cameras.

D800 is not near-D4 performance. It is sub-D700 performance, a downgrade.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
You have NO clue as to what you are talking about. You are saying the D700 out performs the D800? Is that really your assertion?

The D700 does 5 and 8 fps. The D800 does 4 and 4.

If Nikon thought there was no need for the category, they would have discontinued the D700.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
That single point makes it a downgrade, if it's the most important one, next to size.

Then the cheaper price and lighter weight of the D800 makes it an upgrade. Sounds about as spaced-out as your FPS argument huh???

If FPS is a big deal for you, then get a D3S or D300S. They are all faster and readily available. Your argument about the D800 carries no water and is not very well thought out.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Then the cheaper price and lighter weight of the D800 makes it an upgrade. Sounds about as spaced-out as your FPS argument huh???

If FPS is a big deal for you, then get a D3S or D300S. They are all faster and readily available. Your argument about the D800 carries no water and is not very well thought out.

I forgot to write "full frame" and Nikon as one one of the key characteristics at that point.

These two are why I didn't go digital until I found a Kodak 14n.

It is a downgrade, specially given that adding the grip doesn't increase fps.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I forgot to write "full frame" and Nikon as one one of the key characteristics at that point.

These two are why I didn't go digital until I found a Kodak 14n.

It is a downgrade, specially given that adding the grip doesn't increase fps.

Yup. You just confirmed it. You don't know what you are talking about. You think that grips give FPS rather than the extra battery power. I suggest you read quite a bit more and try to understand the topic before posting things that make little to no sense....

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Yup. You just confirmed it. You don't know what you are talking about. You think that grips give FPS rather than the extra battery power. I suggest you read quite a bit more and try to understand the topic before posting things that make little to no sense....

What do I not understand? I need the grip on the D700 for vertical shooting, more fps is not the critical factor, but welcome.

If the D800 did 6 fps when adding the grip maybe I would consider it (just matching the D700 body at 5fps still tastes too weird).

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
What do I not understand? I need the grip on the D700 for vertical shooting, more fps is not the critical factor, but welcome.

If the D800 did 6 fps when adding the grip maybe I would consider it (just matching the D700 body at 5fps still tastes too weird).

Then buy a D3S and be done with it. Personally I will be getting both as they both fit my different shooting needs. Still I don't think you quite understand what you are looking for as you seem to be moving the goal posts with each successive post but that's okay. No worries. Anyway, good luck. This "discussion" is kind of wasted.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Then buy a D3S and be done with it. Personally I will be getting both as they both fit my different shooting needs. Still I don't think you quite understand what you are looking for as you seem to be moving the goal posts with each successive post but that's okay. No worries. Anyway, good luck. This "discussion" is kind of wasted.

When did I move the goal posts? The whole thing was based upon fps.

It is you that doesn't understand my context and what I need. I was kind enough to try to explain it to you given your aggressive attitude.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
When did I move the goal posts? The whole thing was based upon fps.

It is you that doesn't understand my context and what I need. I was kind enough to try to explain it to you given your aggressive attitude.

Here we go. You say the D800 is a downgrade because it shoots at a few less FPS than the D700. Did you remotely consider that it is pretty much impossible to push that many megapixels to a CF card in RAW? Second, your downgrade theory applies to you and you alone while many to most consider the D800 a major upgrade to the D700 via the image processing, video, etc.. just to name a few. The price, and weight are all a consideration over the D700. So yeah, you are correct, I have no clue as to what you want other than one more FPS from a camera that will never exist as Nikon has no need to build it when the D4 and D800 meet the two targeted segments. Again, you are correct, I do not understand you uber-highly-specific needs of that elusive FPS. If it is soooo important to you, get a D3S which is surely an upgrade to the D700 or do you consider the D3S a downgrade to the D700 as well?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I wouldn't care about the D700/D800 if I were OK with getting an inflexibly huge camera. How many times do I have to explain this?

BTW, who said you can't actually shoot in RAW 14bit at 9fps with the D3S since it was launched?

Last edited:

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I wouldn't care about the D700/D800 if I were OK with getting an inflexibly huge camera. How many times do I have to explain this?

Just to recap. The D4 is too big but boy does it have crazy FPS. The D800 is small enough but doesn't shot fast enough, even if you put on a battery grip? The D3S is also to big even though it is a very fast shooter. So in your opinion, Nikon should develop a camera that is not too slow, or too fast but just right? Do I have this correct? You aren't concerned about megapixels, or video, or the lower weight or the lower price, better focusing, better exposure EV. Your issue is that the D800 simply does not shoot fast enough for you at its current size. Am I correct on these points?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Just to recap. The D4 is too big but boy does it have crazy FPS. The D800 is small enough but doesn't shot fast enough, even if you put on a battery grip? The D3S is also to big even though it is a very fast shooter. So in your opinion, Nikon should develop a camera that is not too slow, or too fast but just right? Do I have this correct? You aren't concerned about megapixels, or video, or the lower weight or the lower price, better focusing, better exposure EV. Your issue is that the D800 simply does not shoot fast enough for you at its current size. Am I correct on these points?

Requirements:

- Nikon mount
- Full frame
- Not worse in any respect than D700 (which I already have)
- Video with autofocus, at least 720p (which the D700 doesn't have)
- F3 design (smallish body + grip)

So, getting a new D700S would be more attractive than a used D3S.

But if I am making such small upgrade to a D700S, it better be compatible with the MB-D10.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Requirements:

- Nikon mount
- Full frame
- Not worse in any respect than D700 (which I already have)
- Video with autofocus, at least 720p (which the D700 doesn't have)
- F3 design (smallish body + grip)

So, getting a new D700S would be more attractive than a used D3S.

But if I am making such small upgrade to a D700S, it better be compatible with the MB-D10.

1. Check
2. Check
3. D800 surpasses the D700 expect in FPS but we will never see eye to eye on that so move one.
4. D800 wins hands down. Can you say upgrade...
5. Does not and will not exist as there is no reason for Nikon to make such a camera considering the D4 and D800 cater to these markets.

D700S. Vaporware and will never exist so maybe you should start exploring Canon options.

MB-D10 http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produ...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-CompatibleWith. So your arguments do add up dude.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.