Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1
sheepead
macrumors newbie

Using iCloud on my iPhone 4S and iPad 3

I've been browsing Macrumours for years and always found it very useful. This is the first time I've not been able to find a resolution through browsing and so have decided to register.

I currently have an iPhone 4S and backup to iCloud. I'm using 4gig of my 5gig allowance. I intend to buy the next generation iPad whenever it surfaces and was wondering if that 5gig allowance was for my phone only? That's assuming straight out of the box I set up my iPad to my iCloud id. Would I have another 5gig for the iPad??

Apologies if this has already been asked and if it makes no sense. Any help would be much appreciated!!
sheepead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Feed Me
Banned

It's 5gb per account, not 5gb per device, sadly.
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

5GB is for your one iCloud account only....the number of devices you own is irrelevant as they all share the 5GB. I suggest making some room, or upgrading your iCloud storage.
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:25 PM   #4
sheepead
macrumors newbie

Oh right, thanks for the quick replies.

So along with iTunes match subscription I'll have to also pay for iCloud storage. Never mind.

Is it very common for people to need more storage owning both devices?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepead View Post
Oh right, thanks for the quick replies.

So along with iTunes match subscription I'll have to also pay for iCloud storage. Never mind.

Is it very common for people to need more storage owning both devices?
It's common if you use a lot of space on each of your devices. My sister has an iPhone and an iPod touch. She's currently using 4.8gb of her iCloud space between the two devices. The majority of that space is taken up by the camera roll. Without that her space usage would be much less. Maybe you could offload your iPhone 4S camera roll onto your computer and remove that from iCloud. Although if you'd prefer to have an iCloud backup of that, then you wouldn't want to be doing that.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:33 PM   #6
sheepead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
It's common if you use a lot of space on each of your devices. My sister has an iPhone and an iPod touch. She's currently using 4.8gb of her iCloud space between the two devices. The majority of that space is taken up by the camera roll. Without that her space usage would be much less. Maybe you could offload your iPhone 4S camera roll onto your computer and remove that from iCloud. Although if you'd prefer to have an iCloud backup of that, then you wouldn't want to be doing that.

Yep, it's my camera roll that adds it all up. My computer is in need of updating and as I can't afford an iMac yet I'll just probably pay for more storage. As I have iTunes match I have never synced my 4S to the computer and was planning to do the same with my iPad.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:50 PM   #7
falcora
macrumors 6502

In settings on your iOS device, you can set up exceptions to your backup rules. So some apps that require tons of backup space can be exempted. Things like VLC with lots of videos would eat up your storage space really fast.

I have a Mac, iPhone, and iPad and i'm only using 3.0 GB of my iCloud.

If that's not enough for you, it's not like $20/year is terribly expensive to triple your storage to 15 GB.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
sheepead
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcora View Post
In settings on your iOS device, you can set up exceptions to your backup rules. So some apps that require tons of backup space can be exempted. Things like VLC with lots of videos would eat up your storage space really fast.

I have a Mac, iPhone, and iPad and i'm only using 3.0 GB of my iCloud.

If that's not enough for you, it's not like $20/year is terribly expensive to triple your storage to 15 GB.
Yeah I agree it's not that much of a financial burden, would just have been nice not to.

On a different note, is that the Vlc app that was superb that has now been removed from the app store? Was released over a year ago for free but was taken down quickly. Can't even get it back from the purchased tab in app store!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:24 PM   #9
falcora
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah I agree it's not that much of a financial burden, would just have been nice not to.

On a different note, is that the Vlc app that was superb that has now been removed from the app store? Was released over a year ago for free but was taken down quickly. Can't even get it back from the purchased tab in app store!
Nope, its not available any longer. Because VLC is an open source project, one of the contributors had an issue with Apple's terms of service on the app store and demanded that it be removed from the store. Pretty sad really. It's such a great app. It's nice to be able to take pretty much any video file and play it on your iOS device without worrying about converting it or codecs and formats and stuff. VLC just takes care of everything.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:41 PM   #10
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

There are other apps out there that let you play any codec. Goodplayer for instance. Works fairly well for me.

Camera roll will take up most of your space. Especially video on a 4s. I have 4.1 gb free across 3 devices. Disabled camera roll backup.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcora View Post
Nope, its not available any longer. Because VLC is an open source project, one of the contributors had an issue with Apple's terms of service on the app store and demanded that it be removed from the store. Pretty sad really. It's such a great app. It's nice to be able to take pretty much any video file and play it on your iOS device without worrying about converting it or codecs and formats and stuff. VLC just takes care of everything.
I still have the VLC app it's a very nice piece of kit, I use it often.
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad