Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
This just happened about 30 minutes ago.

I was browsing the web. Heard a pop (and what looked like a small flash) and the screen went black... and nothing! :eek: Wont turn on; can't do anything. :(

The popping sound/flash came from the top-left area of the keyboard near the Expose/LaunchPad keys and I smelt burning.

Did it just overheat?
Anyone had this happen to them or heard of this happening?

I've booked a Genius appointment for Thursday to hopefully get a new replacement. Will they be able to mirror the drive to the replacement?

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
Doesn't sound like an SSD issue, but you never know what gets ruined in these kinds of situations.

Good luck with getting your data back.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It sounds like a shorted logic board. It certainly isn't common, but it can happen. Hopefully they will be able to mirror the SSD. Normally they don't do data recovery, though. However, if they send it out and fix the logic board, usually they do put the old SSD back in. Last year, I had a logic board replaced for water damage and it came back with all the data still on it. At 30 days, they might ship it out, or they might swap it for a new one. You are likely to get more help with the data if they ship it out, actually.

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Someone posted a similar incident on a german board and his AASP apparently replaced the logic board and DC-In board.

Here is a google translator link to the topic: Apfeltalk

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sounds like something shorted out for sure! Good luck!

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
London
That sounds promising. I got it on the 6 January, so just over a month.

So if they fix it, I get the same SSD, but it they replace it with a new one it'll have a new SSD.

It was a custom build i7/4GB so I don't think they can pull one off the shelf.

If they do give be a brand new one I guess I can pressure them to restore my data given how new it is. (It's so new there's hardly anything on it.)

----------

DC-In board.

What's that?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That sounds promising. I got it on the 6 January, so just over a month.

So if they fix it, I get the same SSD, but it they replace it with a new one it'll have a new SSD.

It was a custom build i7/4GB so I don't think they can pull one off the shelf.

If they do give be a brand new one I guess I can pressure them to restore my data given how new it is. (It's so new there's hardly anything on it.)

----------

What's that?

Well, it's still under warranty, so I can't see you having any problems as Apple are normally very good about honouring such contracts.

Let us know what transpires and the very best of luck with it.

kleykenb

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Well, it's still under warranty, so I can't see you having any problems as Apple are normally very good about honouring such contracts.

Let us know what transpires and the very best of luck with it.

So how did this end and what did they have to do to repair it?

I've also got a Macbook Air 11inch with the i7 + 4Gb and since last saturday I seem to have the same problem. Unfortunately no Apple Care and 2 weeks out of warranty so I'm looking into the solution on my own.
After some research I've concluded that it has to either be caused by the Logic Board or the IO-Board (aka MagSafe board). I've excluded Battery from the list as this should not impede the system to work with the MagSafe adapter plugged in. Of course there's always the possiblity that 2 parts are broken (IO-Board + Logica Board) or that I've overlooked something.

I've ordered a replacement IO-board from a web-store (Apple part 922-9972) as this is the cheapest possible culprit and also because this board is situated in the Upper-Left corner of the system where the noise appeared to come from.
Did they give you any information on what they had to do to repair your system?

greets,
Benny

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Dont worry, still in warranty. Regarding data, its probably safe, but do start to make backups, please...

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Benny, this sounds like a cap shorted in the power circuit. Hopefully no other damage was done on the logic board. The I/O board should be plug and play, prob a 4pin connector.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Ahh, the patented :apple: "you havent upgraded to this years model" feature .. i know it well :rolleyes: it effected my Time Capsule (died after 18months) MacBook Pro (died after 14 months) and iMac (Died after 7 months, lucky, still in warranty)

and people STILL site :apple: build quality as a bonus over PCs, Next time I Hackintosh, at least that way i can upgrade incrementally and replace failed parts myself, probably keep the iMac as a Thunderbolt display now that PC Motherboards are starting to appear that can use it.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ahh, the patented :apple: "you havent upgraded to this years model" feature .. i know it well :rolleyes: it effected my Time Capsule (died after 18months) MacBook Pro (died after 14 months) and iMac (Died after 7 months, lucky, still in warranty)

and people STILL site :apple: build quality as a bonus over PCs, Next time I Hackintosh, at least that way i can upgrade incrementally and replace failed parts myself, probably keep the iMac as a Thunderbolt display now that PC Motherboards are starting to appear that can use it.

I've had quite a few homebrew PCs, and (knock on wood) have never had a hardware failure.

My current homebrew is a C2Q I built in 2008 is still my main rig, and my old homebrew (Athlon 64) I built in 2005 is chugging along as we speak (dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and Windows XP Pro).

IMO, homebrew PCs will give you the best quality out there for your money.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Build quality and reliability are different. PCs (including Apple) are made from mostly the same internal components, and so reliability of major components tends to be the same. Build quality refers primarily to fit and finish. Considering my luck with non-Apple brands, build quality is pretty good. My 2-year old HP Elitebook from the office has plastic falling off and significant discoloration, as well as misaligned panels. I had a Dell Inspiron 600m whose power button started wearing out about 6 months after I purchased it (it also needed a new motherboard along the way).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.