Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Since this is a developer preview I expect things to not work and thats fine. But - just wondering if anyone has successfully run Fusion? Tried 4.1 and 4.1.1 and both refuse to run so far.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
You can bypass the application block by launching Fusion from the terminal using the open command, but as figured it is blocked for a reason. I was hoping for partial functionality, but instead got a kernel panic! :eek:

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Since this is a developer preview I expect things to not work and thats fine. But - just wondering if anyone has successfully run Fusion? Tried 4.1 and 4.1.1 and both refuse to run so far.

I'm in the process of installing. I was going to create a new VM, install Lion and then from Lion do the upgrade to Mountain. Does this not work? I have Fusion 4.1.0 :) Never installed the killer update.

-Mike

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I'm in the process of installing. I was going to create a new VM, install Lion and then from Lion do the upgrade to Mountain. Does this not work? I have Fusion 4.1.0 :) Never installed the killer update.

-Mike

I have not tried installing it in a VM, but from what I read it kernel panics in a VM too. I just know Fusion will not run on ML. I also avoided 4.1.1 until today, but it will not run either.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
MikeFla:
Keep us posted if you were able to get it running by installing it onto a vm of Lion.

I'm in the same position, on how to best install ML and keep my install of Lion intact.

Thanks,

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can bypass the application block by launching Fusion from the terminal using the open command, but as figured it is blocked for a reason. I was hoping for partial functionality, but instead got a kernel panic! :eek:

How exactly are you able to start Fusion, I get the following error when trying to start it up from the terminal under ML
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10664

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks, but that looks like its an issue using Mountain Lion inside vmware and specific to the vmwre tools, not running vmware fusion from ML

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No problem, I've been searching the net for a solution but I think we'll have to wait for VMware to release an updated build and to be honest given that 10.8 is only a Developer Preview I'm really not confident that we'll see one anytime soon.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
No problem, I've been searching the net for a solution but I think we'll have to wait for VMware to release an updated build and to be honest given that 10.8 is only a Developer Preview I'm really not confident that we'll see one anytime soon.

If my recollection is correct 4 was not released until well after lion was released. They seem to be a little behind in supporting the final OS, and never really comment on status of future releases.

Fwiw. I am on SL, so I was going to give it a run to test the networking environment, but i won't go through the hassle now knowing fusion won't run on it. Btw, I wonder why it won't run- seems like ML is kind of a service pack of sorts with added assets.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They sometimes release builds to fix these types of issues. So far their forums have not provided any of that information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.