Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
My brother and I are collaborating on a script. We started by emailing the script back and forth, making changes and additions and so-forth, but this quickly became unweildy.

I'm looking for a method of collaboration that will allow us both to access the same document. But the tricky bit is that we'd like the document to be available on both PC and iPad. And it has to be very, very cheap.

As far as I can tell, iCloud doesn't allow sharing between accounts, so while I can access the same document on my PC and on my iPad, he can't.

Dropbox allows us to download into something like Pages, but we then can't get it back up there again from the iPad.

Google docs would have been the perfect solution as it's editable on both iPad and PC, however my brother can't get onto it on his laptop and we can't work out why it doesn't work.

We kinda need to get it up and running in the next day or so as deadlines are looming! Does anyone have any suggestions?

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
My brother and I are collaborating on a script. We started by emailing the script back and forth, making changes and additions and so-forth, but this quickly became unweildy.

I'm looking for a method of collaboration that will allow us both to access the same document. But the tricky bit is that we'd like the document to be available on both PC and iPad. And it has to be very, very cheap.

As far as I can tell, iCloud doesn't allow sharing between accounts, so while I can access the same document on my PC and on my iPad, he can't.

Dropbox allows us to download into something like Pages, but we then can't get it back up there again from the iPad.

Google docs would have been the perfect solution as it's editable on both iPad and PC, however my brother can't get onto it on his laptop and we can't work out why it doesn't work.

We kinda need to get it up and running in the next day or so as deadlines are looming! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would try Docs to Go professional. You should be able to upload and download everything to dropbox from there with no issues. It has work the best for me so far. It's too bad that pages doesn't sync with dropbox.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Google Docs is the best solution, so I'd work this out as your first choice.

He's tried all browsers? Chrome, IE, Safari, Firefox? NONE of them work?

ddvmor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Google Docs is the best solution, so I'd work this out as your first choice.

He's tried all browsers? Chrome, IE, Safari, Firefox? NONE of them work?
He says so. To be honest, it's difficult to troubleshoot as he's a couple of hundred miles away! I suspect malware of some sort myself, but he's telling me that his virus software is all up to date an fine!

I agree though - Google docs would be my first choice.

Docs to go is a bit pricey and I was hoping not to have to spend too much to get it all working.

We compromised with Microsofts Skydrive in the end. It doesn't have ios editability but you can at least read stuff on there!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.