Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MValentine09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Northridge, CA
So I finally gave in, and ended up purchasing a new to me but refurbished 13" MBA with the I5 1.7ghz, 4gb Ram, and 128gb SSD. Im going to test the waters with it and see if its fits for my lifestyle, if not Ill be considering a return and pay the difference the I7 1.8ghz. Ive played around with plenty of them at the apple store, and other stores aswell. Thats nowhere near real life situation when you exactly need to do intensive work on the computer. Im soo excited to be getting it either Monday or Tuesday, I always wanted a MBA since its first 2008 release but being 17 at the time didnt have any benefits into saving to purchase one. And then the 2010 Models came out but I held out for the Sandy Bridge Processors instead. I hope I made a good choice. But either way I do plan on reselling it when the new updated versions come out later on this year. I have a couple questions to ask about the MBA since it is my first Mac ever.

1.) I heard that these computers arent as prone to viruses compared Windows Based computers. So what would be the best possible route for Malware and Virus Protection for Free?

2.)What are some good settings and apps to get rid of to maximize my Macs full potential?

3.) Does the I5 1.7ghz with 128gb SSD compared the I5 1.7ghz with 256gb SSD have any substantial difference in speed?

4.) Will Frostwire, or UTorrent work well with this MBA if I have a anti-virus app referenced from question 1?

5.) I have a 4th gen Ipod Touch 64gb with roughly 62gb of music on it that I received from a friend last year. How can I take the music from the Ipod and put it onto my MBAs SSD?

Thanks in advance for any help. Sorry if these questions have been answered before. But I dont have a computer at home to research this information. Thats why I purchased my Mac.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
1.) I heard that these computers arent as prone to viruses compared Windows Based computers. So what would be the best possible route for Malware and Virus Protection for Free?
You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
2.)What are some good settings and apps to get rid of to maximize my Macs full potential?
Helpful Information for Any Mac User
4.) Will Frostwire, or UTorrent work well with this MBA if I have a anti-virus app referenced from question 1?
You don't need antivirus, as explained above. However, don't download and install pirated software, as that's a primary source of trojans.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
macs are not loaded up with crappy 3 party trials like windows. you dont have to spend an hour removing stuff when you first buy it. so nothing special you need to remove.

Mikey-Mike

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
CLE
2.)What are some good apps

Well you didn't really ask this but one good piece of software to get is Alsoft DiskWarrior that rebuilds the hard drive directory and is a must have for the Mac.

Even after you reload your OS or do any major app loading, DiskWarrior will find and fix all kinds of stuff and eventually when you run into problems DiskWarrior will fix them. It is old school for the Mac.

I also run iDefrag on my MacBook Air although I bet a lot of people will think I shouldn't.

Neither one of those is free but they are worth it. Especially DiskWarrior.

:)

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well you didn't really ask this but one good piece of software to get is Alsoft DiskWarrior that rebuilds the hard drive directory and is a must have for the Mac.
It's certainly not a "must have", as many users never need it. It's only needed if there's a problem with the drive.
I also run iDefrag on my MacBook Air although I bet a lot of people will think I shouldn't.
That's because you shouldn't. You defrag because you don't understand how Mac OS X works. You don't need to defrag on Mac OS X, except possibly when partitioning a drive.

About disk optimization with Mac OS X
You probably won't need to optimize at all if you use Mac OS X.

Five Mac maintenance myths

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

:)

Defragmenting an SSD is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive on both Windows and OS X. It just causes unnecessary wear on the flash memory while doing nothing to speed up operations. I believe Windows 7 won't even let you defragment a drive that it detects is an SSD.

To the OP, on the 13" model, there is very little difference (about 8% on CPU-intensive tasks) between the i5 and i7 as the turbo boost speeds are pretty close. There is a little bigger gap in the 11" models, but even there for most tasks it won't be noticeable. The i5 should serve you well. Refurbished Macs are great deals.

MValentine09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Northridge, CA
Thanks soo much for all of those links GGJstudios. Trying to Browse and Search on my Sidekick 4G is a real PITA. Ill definitely be reviewing all of that information within the following days to come. I just got a text from my nephew and he said that my MBA has arrived at home. Hopefully this day at work goes by rather fast. Im just kinda iffy about owning the Sandy Bridge MBA with the Ivy Bridge Version just around the corner. Do you guys think Ill have any trouble flipping my MBA once the new one is released? Doubtful huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.