Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

ABC Previews 'Nightline' Visit to Foxconn's Chinese Factories

Over the weekend, ABC announced that it had been granted exclusive access to Foxconn's factories in China where the company assembled products for Apple, with the segment scheduled to air on a special edition of Nightline on Tuesday night.

ABC has now posted a preview of the segment, along with a teaser video from Nightline co-anchor Bill Weir.
Quote:
Apple promised complete access, no dog-and-pony, no Potemkin Village, but they denied my repeated requests to interview Apple CEO Tim Cook or the senior vice president of industrial design, Jony Ive.

In a three-golf-cart convoy, both Apple and Foxconn reps took us around to a half dozen production lines in Shenzhen and Chengdu, and there were always five to six people with us as we toured the factories and dorms. But aside from suggesting a visit to the counseling center or canteen, they never steered us to interviews and never interrupted.
The extensive preview offers comments from several Foxconn employees, as well as Louis Woo, a former Apple executive who now serves as an advisor to Foxconn CEO Terry Gou, and Fair Labor Association president Auret van Heerden.

Nightline's "iFactory: Inside Apple" segment airs tomorrow, February 21, at 11:35 PM Eastern and Pacific on ABC.

Article Link: ABC Previews 'Nightline' Visit to Foxconn's Chinese Factories
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
tjcampbell
macrumors 6502a

I'm looking forward to this.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1035174/
tjcampbell is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Nielsenius
macrumors 6502a

Can't wait to watch this. I guess we'll see how the conditions inside these factories really are.
Nielsenius is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
grimmace
macrumors regular

Were they making iPad3 while he was walking around?
iPad Air
grimmace is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 AM   #5
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

why isnt there this same level of scrutiny of america's chicken farms?
d4rkc4sm is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Any chance of seeing it outside the US?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 AM   #7
smellalot
macrumors regular

This seems pretty interesting. Does anybody know a way to watch this in germany? Maybe stream online?
smellalot is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 AM   #8
BobbyRond
macrumors regular

I wonder if Samsung will be watching.
BobbyRond is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:12 AM   #9
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkc4sm View Post
There are more Apple haters than chicken farms haters
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:14 AM   #10
*LTD*
Banned

Story is getting old.

But it's an Apple story, so it's got serious legs.
*LTD* is offline   -15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:14 AM   #11
DaDalle
macrumors member

I'd really like to see this! But sadly I live in Germany.. Does ABC-News stream this or post this on their website?
DaDalle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #12
jwm2
macrumors regular

Sounds like Iraq and North Korea tours to me. This won't reveal much, other then how much the employees LOVE working for apple and sing songs while they work praising the work environments, benefits and pay. LOL
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #13
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Uh ...

Is there a scandal I missed about poor working conditions and pay for chicken farm workers?

Or wait, did you just imply that a Chinese laborer and a chicken, about to be killed for our dinner, should be treated equivalently?

Quote:
kingtj is offline   -27 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:16 AM   #14
caddisfly
macrumors member

now lets see a tour of....

the processing facilities of a subcontractor who is processing chicken, cattle, pork for any big meat companies in the US market

or any of the subcontractors who are making toys for walmart, costco, target, etc for the US market

or any subcontractors who are picking your fruit and veggies that you eat every day

or any of the subcontractors who makes your clothing

...let alone the other computer manufacturers

if this is something you want Apple to feel "shame" about or get "blame", look in the mirror
caddisfly is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Glad to see you care more about chickens than people. There hasn't been a large number of humans committing suicide at chicken farms.

I hope Nightline talks about the quality of life. Making $1.78 an hour seems about right, but how are they living?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

I like how the media tries to point to Apple and make people blame Apple. You can blame Apple for using Foxconn, if there are strange work practices, but you can blame a bunch of other major electronics people as well. Apple doesn't own Foxconn, it pays them to make the product.

There is this ignorant perception that Apple manages, owns, controls, and whips slaves down in the Foxconn building. If you follow the media, you'd think Steve Jobs is resurrected and eating the food denied to Foxconn people by their evil Apple overlord.

Hey. Work laws are different in different countries. Get used to it. This isn't McEarth.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #17
markcres
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrod View Post
There are more Apple haters than chicken farms haters
Interesting that you should class any person who finds slave labour/exploitation abhorrent as an 'Apple hater'. Maybe you are one of these Steve Jobs worshipping 'fanboys' I keep hearing about. Remember these things are just pretty shiny gadgets...nothing more...a mobile telephone and a small computer - that's all they are. The people who make them are real human beings like you and me. They deserve to be treated better that $1.50 an hour.
markcres is offline   -16 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #18
WillFisher
macrumors 6502

I have a horrible feeling this is just going to be showing everyone what Foxconn wants us to see.
But either way, it should be quite interesting.
Any news of anyway for the UK audience to watch?
WillFisher is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:20 AM   #19
Tones2
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly View Post
the processing facilities of a subcontractor who is processing chicken, cattle, pork for any big meat companies in the US market

or any of the subcontractors who are making toys for walmart, costco, target, etc for the US market

or any subcontractors who are picking your fruit and veggies that you eat every day

or any of the subcontractors who makes your clothing

...let alone the other computer manufacturers

if this is something you want Apple to feel "shame" about or get "blame", look in the mirror
What others are doing has no relevance to the Foxconn situation - if it's bad it should be stopped. If it's not, then no worries. It shouldn't be OK to get away with terrible conditions just because others are getting away with terrible conditions.

Tony
Tones2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:21 AM   #20
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
I like how the media tries to point to Apple and make people blame Apple. You can blame Apple for using Foxconn, if there are strange work practices, but you can blame a bunch of other major electronics people as well. Apple doesn't own Foxconn, it pays them to make the product.

There is this ignorant perception that Apple manages, owns, controls, and whips slaves down in the Foxconn building. If you follow the media, you'd think Steve Jobs is resurrected and eating the food denied to Foxconn people by their evil Apple overlord.

Hey. Work laws are different in different countries. Get used to it. This isn't McEarth.
It doesn't matter who's carrying the whip: if, big if, there is inhumane practice, and you perpetuate and support its practice, you're at least partly culpable too.
Jobsian is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:21 AM   #21
applesith
macrumors 68000

Let's hope they put the Foxconn salaries in context. Living over there does not cost anywhere as much as living here in the US or Europe.
applesith is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post

No one is blaming Apple, but if Apple knows what's going on and still contracts Foxconn then it is a major concern for Apple buyers, stock holders and so forth. They are the most popular tech company, and that title will come with more responsibility in human rights and the environment.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
Glad to see you care more about chickens than people. There hasn't been a large number of humans committing suicide at chicken farms.
There was never a large number of suicides. The suicide rate of Foxconn workers is below that of China.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:22 AM   #24
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
I sure hope they put the full video on the web once it was aired.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:23 AM   #25
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
No one is blaming Apple, but if Apple knows what's going on and still contracts Foxconn then it is a major concern for Apple buyers, stock holders and so forth. They are the most popular tech company, and that title will come with more responsibility in human rights and the environment.
There wasn't this attention on Dell, HP, IBM, or any other manufacturer and still isn't when it should be on the industry as a whole, not one company.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion