Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While a number of alleged iPad 3 parts have leaked in recent weeks, one piece that has so far remained unseen is the device's front panel. But now Apple.pro points to a posting (registration required) on Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo showing what is claimed to be the front glass and digitizer assembly from the iPad 3.

ipad_3_glass_digitizer.jpg

The part appears nearly identical to that of the iPad 2, with the major distinguishing feature being a relatively long ribbon cable extending up the side of the display as opposed to a shorter cable with a sideways orientation seen in the iPad 2. Other features of the iPad 3 display include the same round home button seen in all iOS devices so far and a hole in the top bezel to accommodate both the front-facing camera and the ambient light sensor.

A separate posting from the same blogger claims that the A5X system-on-a-chip seen in a leaked photo has a dual-core processor and that the iPad 3 will support Siri. The report also claims that the iPad 3 will launch with iOS 5.1 and a rear camera capable of recording 1080p video. Finally, the posting says that the iPad 3 will launch in the U.S. in mid-March with France, Germany, Japan, and the UK to follow in April. Other markets including China and Hong Kong should see the device launch by June 1. The reliability of that report is, however, unknown.

With the revelation of the front glass assembly and earlier leaks of the rear casing, ultra high-resolution display, logic board, and several other internal components, most of the iPad 3's major parts with the exception of the battery and camera modules have now been seen. Apple is expected to introduce the iPad 3 with a media event scheduled for March 7.

Article Link: iPad 3 Front Glass Reveals No Significant Changes: Round Home Button, Camera and Sensor Holes

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
That's almost all the parts out there to build an iPad 3:
• logic board
• ribbon cables
• back case
• front glass
• LCD panel

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
What's left to reveal? The box? The logo stickers?

oh, and can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy.

DaMike8

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2011
Thats okay... it's iPad 3. There will be 40 million sales in the first weekend. :D:apple:

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
So this is the end of an era for Apple. Now we shall see every part of a new device before it is revealed to the public officially.

I don't know whether to enjoy this, or be sad that the anticipation for the announcement is dying.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Come one, can someone just get all the parts and build the thing already.:D

Well of course the hardware wont be "revolutionary", it is the software Apple will build with it that will make it great. Cant wait to see what the iPad 3 brings to the table.

So this is the end of an era for Apple. Now we shall see every part of a new device before it is revealed to the public officially.

I don't know whether to enjoy this, or be sad that the anticipation for the announcement is dying.

I still am exited and they always have something that nobody expected.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
What's left to reveal? The box? The logo stickers?

oh, and can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy.

Actual operation video, and hands on user testimonials?

Perhaps the next "-gate" minor technical snaffu to get the tech blogs up in arms.

ihateilove

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
All these rumors are getting everywhere. So here's what I think we can expect:

Retina Display (2,048-by-1,536)
An improved processor with significantly better graphics support
An 8-megapixel camera
LTE? I think this might happen this time
Siri inside

So far as I can tell, this should be a significant upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if it got introduced as the iPad 2 HD, however. Apple seems to be becoming ever more keen on incremental upgrades these days!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Someone should seriously unify all these parts leaks together and see what badboy comes to life.

Jokes aside, I'm shocked at the amount of leaks we've had of the iPad 3, compared to those of the iPhone 4S and the lack of rumours and leaks of a supposed new MacBook Pro.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
All these rumors are getting everywhere. Today's claims fit well with those in this report, so here's what I think we can expect:

Retina Display (2,048-by-1,536)
An improved processor with significantly better graphics support
An 8-megapixel camera
LTE? I think this might happen this time
Siri inside

So far as I can tell, this should be a significant upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if it got introduced as the iPad 2 HD, however. Apple seems to be becoming ever more keen on incremental upgrades these days!

What seems to make Apple more keen on incremental upgrades than they where say two years ago?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Y'all should get together and build the FrankenPad.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
Still awaiting a leak of the mild shame you feel at the illogical excitement after buying an Apple product.

Edit: tongue-in-cheek, still most likely getting one!

Last edited:

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009

When the iPhone 4 design was leaked and Apple introduced it in their keynote, Steve Jobs said something like: "you may have seen pictures of the iPhone 4, but you haven't seen the iPhone 4, and it is amazing". His point was that there is nothing like seeing the full thing assembled and working, and that you won't get with these leaks. So I doubt Apple cares too much about this. Sure they would prefer no leaks, but they realize its part of their doing buisness.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
ipad 2 could have been 1.5 but all this could make this upgrade iPad X. i happy with it all, so now my only upgrade i'd like to see is 128GB storage. my dream upgrade would be actual phone service. i carry a bag everywhere so if this could be my only device that would be awesome. but this will never happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.