Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
Is this just a massive generalization or do you actually have a quote from someone excited for Office on the iPad in the other thread now acting like they don't want it?

It's a massive generalization. I'm mostly commenting on the difference in attitude between the two threads.

It would not be that hard to take a screen shot of Office 15 and just full screen it when presenting it on the iPad. Such is life.

I'm on it! Gonna start up an internet rumor! :D

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
As someone who would love to use an iPad for a class that requires the craptastic office suite (Specifically a Computer Science class that teaches specific functions of Office-only features), this would be nice.

For work professionally, naaahhh. :p

Hey, I just passed Computer Science for Engineers with my iPad. Tell me what features you're looking for, I'll try and help you out, sans office suite.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
im actually surprised there is no microsoft software for the ipad. they do make stuff for mac. there is no reason for microsoft to not cash in on a good thing with a few apps.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I have had office for Mac on 4 different Macs over the years and it takes forever to open, crashes all the time and I get a pinwheel for 20 seconds anytime I try to change a font. Microsoft just doesn't do well developing on platforms other than Windows.

No, they do just as bad on windows. It's time they just gave up IE is a disaster (don't forget the Foxconn hacking where they used IE), windows 8 is just Zune software with apps, and Office is getting worse every year. The alternatives are more reliable then Office (Open Office for PC/Mac and Docs To Go for iOS). Microsoft doen't seem to understand how to get anything right, for example the zune its like, hey lets discontinue the zune because we obviously failed but lets make windows 8 look just like the horrible software that came with said product. Seriously though, Docs To Go is perfect for me, and if Office looks like One Note then I will not waste my money on something so pathetic.

Renzatic

Suspended
Gonna start up an internet rumor! :D

MICROSOFT IS A LIAR PERSON! OFFICE ON FOR iPAD IS TRUTH!

Office_iPad.jpg

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Once someone comes out with a spreadsheeet program that integrates with a DB such as access and that will do pivot tables, macros and some of the more advanced formulas in Excel I will switch. Until then I cannot do my job effectively without it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This would be so disappointing if it turns out to be a simple Photoshop fake. Hopefully the online buzz can convince Microsoft that there would be real demand for an iOS version of Office. I think Gates would release it, but I'm not sure about Ballmer.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
WHO gives a damn LOL, it's from Microsoft! They probably just took a year to copy Apple's iWork suite for the iPad and still did a hideous job out of it. Anyone seen the UI of the latest iteration of Office for Mac?

This is my biggest complaint about Office. My second is, well, let's save that for another thread.

Computers have screens that are wider than tall; documents are taller than wide; uSoft uses all that space on the top that is sorely needed to show the document being edited, for inefficiently placed, difficult to decipher buttons, leaving blank space on the sides! On a laptop, sometimes you can only see four or five lines of a sixty line document.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
im actually surprised there is no microsoft software for the ipad. they do make stuff for mac. there is no reason for microsoft to not cash in on a good thing with a few apps.

:confused: Microsoft has a number of apps for iOS.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
oh

of the suite, I only use Word cross-platform.

if they can come up with a non-bloated iPad version of Word that could work with the Mac and PC desktop versions, great.

Just watch and wait.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
"Microsoft denies claims of imminent launch of Office for iPad..."

That's because the program launches so slowly that even if it were already installed on an iPad you still couldn't call its launch "imminent."

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
uSoft uses all that space on the top that is sorely needed to show the document being edited, for inefficiently placed, difficult to decipher buttons, leaving blank space on the sides!

It's got Ribbons! uSoft got what plants crave.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
As soon as their bloatware fails they will bring it out. :D Windows 8 for the non MS people ;)

----------

If I could just get the hang of Numbers, I would abandon Excel in a heartbeat.

Really its actually easy, but its true it does not go as far as Excel does.

Still not that hard and I use both the mac and iPad version. iCloud made me leave MS. :D

----------

MS would be fools to not get Office out for the ipad.

But how, the reason iWork works on iPad is because of its simplicity, MS is not know for clean simple design they are know for bloatware for them to serious do it they would have to do things differently now imagine how the MS fan club would have a histrionic episode if they did this.:eek:

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Excel is fine, but I wouldn't mind migrating to Numbers if there is ever a serious update to it. Right now it cannot handle large spreadsheets, aside from any missing features.

Is that the case with ipad 2 too? I thought the problem was my iPad 1 with its low ram and slow processor. My requirents aren't too high though. It just can't handle more than 20-25 pages (with about 200 data entries and couple of formulas for each entry) on my iPad whereas I need about 31 pages max (one per day). Was hoping iPad 3 will fix it for me. Right now I have to create two spreadsheets a month which is kind of a pita if I have to make a correction in the first spreadsheet. If the faster iPad doesn't help improve this, I might have to reconsider my iPad 3 purchase instead of a new MacBook.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
Ofcourse they'd say that, who would be buying a Windows 8 tablet if Office runs on an iPad months before?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wow, they should maybe check out this thread to see how many potential customers they have already disappointed! I happen to love Microsoft Office and use it every day on my Mac quite happily.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Is that the case with ipad 2 too? I thought the problem was my iPad 1 with its low ram and slow processor. My requirents aren't too high though. It just can't handle more than 20-25 pages (with about 200 data entries and couple of formulas for each entry) on my iPad whereas I need about 31 pages max (one per day). Was hoping iPad 3 will fix it for me. Right now I have to create two spreadsheets a month which is kind of a pita if I have to make a correction in the first spreadsheet. If the faster iPad doesn't help improve this, I might have to reconsider my iPad 3 purchase instead of a new MacBook.

I'm actually not familiar with the iPad version, I was thinking of the Mac version -- it's slow as s$%#

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.