Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:26 AM   #126
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
Probably late with this reply, but if you choose not to sign in/link your account, the Vita will create a temporary PSN account that'll take you to the main menu so you can update the software.
Yeah sorted it now.

I have to say the Vita is probably the most infuriating device i've ever had to setup though.

The ridiculous situation i pointed out above, is only exacerbated when it comes to 3G setup. Followed the vodafone instructions that came in the pack, and guess what... it didn't work. You go through the whole process and at the end it tells you to ring 1740 and activate the sim additionally. Sadly that's not a freephone number, so onto vodafone. Trying to navigate their automated system is a pain, and finally after 30 minutes and the operator trying to find out what a Vita is on her system, i was activated.

Seriously what happened to turn it on and go ????

Took me ages to locate the memory card slot, i think the ps-vita has wrecked my head.

------
I got the Starter Kit with mine for the case, screen protector and game holder. Quite nice. The case makes it look like a sandwich though :-) Just syncing to my PS3 to copy all the games I downloaded last night, it takes it sweet time.

Oh the wipeout offer 3g vodafone offer takes 10 days for the code to arrive. I bought the game anyway on cart, so not a bother.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:14 AM   #127
Dagless
macrumors Core

Mine hasn't been dispatched yet, rassen frassen.

QUESTION. The PSN license changed recently so instead of allowing "5 systems" they broke it down to "2 PSP and 2 PS3 systems". Where does the Vita fall with this? I've got 2 PSPs and I'd like my fave downloads on my Vita as well.
I'm worried the Vita will be one of those "PSP" activations.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:19 AM   #128
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
Mine hasn't been dispatched yet, rassen frassen.

QUESTION. The PSN license changed recently so instead of allowing "5 systems" they broke it down to "2 PSP and 2 PS3 systems". Where does the Vita fall with this? I've got 2 PSPs and I'd like my fave downloads on my Vita as well.
I'm worried the Vita will be one of those "PSP" activations.
Not sure tbh. Hopefully it remains 2, however with the vita as you are only allowed one active profile on a system its prob not a concern too much.

Edit. Having serious issues. 3G dies and just stops working and can't find any network.

And my vita stopped responding and locked itself with just the blue light on and wouldn't turn on. Finally solved this, but my god this is not a good first day experience....

And now Tales from Space won't install and many people are reporting same error code.... Frustrating first day indeed.

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Feb 22, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:02 PM   #129
2nyRiggz
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to 2nyRiggz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Yeah sorted it now.

I have to say the Vita is probably the most infuriating device i've ever had to setup though.

The ridiculous situation i pointed out above, is only exacerbated when it comes to 3G setup. Followed the vodafone instructions that came in the pack, and guess what... it didn't work. You go through the whole process and at the end it tells you to ring 1740 and activate the sim additionally. Sadly that's not a freephone number, so onto vodafone. Trying to navigate their automated system is a pain, and finally after 30 minutes and the operator trying to find out what a Vita is on her system, i was activated.

Seriously what happened to turn it on and go ????

Took me ages to locate the memory card slot, i think the ps-vita has wrecked my head. (Read the manual dude )
This sounds like a cell phone provider issue when it comes to activating your 3G. I'm still to work so I havent gotten my hands on the device but I just picked up shinbito and I'm disappoint....I want my damn manuals not digital manuals

I was thinking about picking up a case and the screen protector....any good ones out there?

Bless
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:07 PM   #130
peskaa
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Edit. Having serious issues. 3G dies and just stops working and can't find any network.

And my vita stopped responding and locked itself with just the blue light on and wouldn't turn on. Finally solved this, but my god this is not a good first day experience....

And now Tales from Space won't install and many people are reporting same error code.... Frustrating first day indeed.
This is why I didn't get a 3G Vita - Vodafone are terrible, both at customer service and the technical side of having a decent network. I'm happy enough to use my iPhone's WiFi tethering if I ever need it.

Loving the tiny size of the new retail boxes though. Still wasted space, but they're not as stupid as the DS boxes, and thinner/smaller than PSP.
peskaa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:22 PM   #131
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

I'm reasonably impressed with the Vita. I like how the controls are good enough to pull of some of the later Marvel vs Capcom 3 combos. The d-pad and button response is great

It really is a dedicated gaming machine though, I tried web browsing and it was horrific
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:36 PM   #132
e˛Studios
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
I'm reasonably impressed with the Vita. I like how the controls are good enough to pull of some of the later Marvel vs Capcom 3 combos. The d-pad and button response is great

It really is a dedicated gaming machine though, I tried web browsing and it was horrific
The twitter app is great, they did that right.

I honestly haven't tried the web browser, doubt I will either. I have yet to use the PS3/DSi/Wii browser so I doubt I'll start with the Vita. I don't expect them to have a good browser.

@MRU I've had my Vita since last week and its frozen while asleep (and charging) a couple times before the new patch that came out on Tuesday. After the patch I have yet for it to freeze while sleeping, but its only been a day. Just hold the power button down and it will reset the Vita, its likely just a software bug they need to work out.

The fun of being a early adopter.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:01 PM   #133
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nyRiggz View Post
I was thinking about picking up a case and the screen protector....any good ones out there?

Bless
Starter Kit. Comes with screen protector and soft and leather case.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by e˛Studios View Post
@MRU I've had my Vita since last week and its frozen while asleep (and charging) a couple times before the new patch that came out on Tuesday. After the patch I have yet for it to freeze while sleeping, but its only been a day. Just hold the power button down and it will reset the Vita, its likely just a software bug they need to work out.

The fun of being a early adopter.

Thanks Ed, that's exactly what I did... after a lot of panic ;-)

Still no solution to the Tales From Space failure, and a lot of peeps are having the same problem.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:17 PM   #134
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

I wish Sony would allow you to download PS1 games to the Vita. Seriously, I have Final Fantasy 7, 8 & 9 just begging for another play through. I could dust down my old PSP for that, but why

On a lighter note, was scrolling through my PSN download history on my Vita and discovered LittleBigPlanet was compatible I thought that was money down the drain after I sold on my PSP Go...after a week of use.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:35 AM   #135
Dagless
macrumors Core

I wouldn't worry about PS1 games. They'll definitely be playable eventually.

Does anyone know if Peacewalker works with both analogue sticks? With full analogue movement? I've heard that it does, and if so I'll definitely triple-dip for it (Best game of 2010 that)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:00 AM   #136
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about PS1 games. They'll definitely be playable eventually.

Does anyone know if Peacewalker works with both analogue sticks? With full analogue movement? I've heard that it does, and if so I'll definitely triple-dip for it (Best game of 2010 that)
Yes, you change the setup to assign the right analogue stick to act as buttons and this enables right analogue stick for camera.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:40 AM   #137
f00f
macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
Grabbed a Wifi Vita yesterday that I pre-ordered and so far it's much <3. Stellar console (pun intended: Super Stardust Delta looks amaaaazing on this).

Have any of you been able to charge the Vita while it was on (possibly in standby) & plugged into your computer? I swear that out of the box (before firmware update) this worked, but since the update it no longer charges this way. (Vita has to be off for it to charge -- presumably the computer's USB port doesn't provide enough juice?)

EDIT: ah. And there we have it. Sometime RTFM helps. This is mildly disappointing; means we won't be able to play-n-charge easily while on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita Manual
You can also charge your system by connecting it to a USB device such as a computer using the USB cable. When charging your system using a USB device, turn off your system. You cannot charge your system when it is in standby mode. To completely power off the system, press and hold the power button for two seconds, and then tap [Power Off] on the screen that appears.
(source)
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:40 AM   #138
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

PSP pricing discrepancy.

Be aware PSP titles on PS Store on Vita and PS Store on PS3 are often differently priced.

I bought couple of PSP titles on the vita and they are more expensive on the PS3 store. What's that all about?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:47 AM   #139
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
sigh... why can't Jean d'Arc be available? That was my favorite PSP game.

I love that the Cross-Play games are starting to show up in the store now, there's a lot of potential in the concept.

Quote:
PSP pricing discrepancy.

Be aware PSP titles on PS Store on Vita and PS Store on PS3 are often differently priced.

I bought couple of PSP titles on the vita and they are more expensive on the PS3 store. What's that all about?
Question, if you buy a PSP title on the PS3, will it be playable on the Vita (if the title is on the Vita's PSP game list)?
skottichan is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:59 AM   #140
cambookpro
macrumors 601

How do you transfer files from computer to Vita?

PLEASE tell me there's a Mac client. Got sick to death of having to fire up Windows in Parallels just to download a game to my PSP.

Oh, and if there is, and is there a store integrated into this app?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:09 AM   #141
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
sigh... why can't Jean d'Arc be available? That was my favorite PSP game.

I love that the Cross-Play games are starting to show up in the store now, there's a lot of potential in the concept.

Question, if you buy a PSP title on the PS3, will it be playable on the Vita (if the title is on the Vita's PSP game list)?
Yep. You can transfer any downloaded psp game from ps3 to the vita and it will be playable :-)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
How do you transfer files from computer to Vita?

PLEASE tell me there's a Mac client. Got sick to death of having to fire up Windows in Parallels just to download a game to my PSP.

Oh, and if there is, and is there a store integrated into this app?
There is a Mac client. It's pretty basic, and I mean 'basic'
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:25 AM   #142
cambookpro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Yep. You can transfer any downloaded psp game from ps3 to the vita and it will be playable :-)

----------

Should've Googled before, I've found it. Colour me... unimpressed, to say the least.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:00 PM   #143
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
Should've Googled before, I've found it. Colour me... unimpressed, to say the least.
Yep its poor. Hopefully a third party will release a decent mac client that links in with iTunes and iPhoto for pics & music, and has a decent management of storage. At moment the software by Sony is simply not good enough.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:23 AM   #144
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if there is any way to adjust how the Vita displays PSP games? I.E. display at "original" rather then stretched etc?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:01 AM   #145
Dagless
macrumors Core

Yeah, this thing is great. I love Near!

I knew the lack of internal storage would bother me. I just don't get why they'd make a digital distribution focused handheld with no internal storage, no large cards in europe and charge a fortune for them. I'd rather see cheaper and bigger cards than a price cut on the system.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:28 AM   #146
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Yeah, this thing is great. I love Near!

I knew the lack of internal storage would bother me. I just don't get why they'd make a digital distribution focused handheld with no internal storage, no large cards in europe and charge a fortune for them. I'd rather see cheaper and bigger cards than a price cut on the system.
8-16gb built in storage should have been standard. Downloaded loco-roco 2 and its nearly 2gb itself, never mind as more elaborate vita games are released to download.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:46 AM   #147
foiden
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

----------

Actually, that isn't true. Not every downloaded PSP game from the PS3 works on the vita. Only select certain titles not on the official compatibility list work. However, there's a lot of titles that won't work on the Vita. (Including most of the SEGA games, sans the Genesis pack).
foiden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:14 AM   #148
bjmach
macrumors 6502

Does anyone know how the cross platform should work? Not a deal breaker for me and not the main reason I wanted the Vita anyway. I tried it out last night though and I could see manuever around my PS3 dashboard and even watch videos from my PS3 on the vita. But I had Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 in the PS3 and it wouldn't let me load it up and play it on the vita. Do I have to buy the game on the vita also? Think that would defeat the purpose woudn't it?
32GB Ipad
bjmach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:45 AM   #149
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Region Free My Ass

More things folks should be aware of. Whilst the cartridges technically are region free, because of online passes and such they no longer are.

I bought Hot Shots Golf from videogamesplus.ca

Sadly I can not get online features to work in Europe because the online pass will not download on a European PSN account.

Whilst you can sign into a USA account on your PS3 and download the pass. There is no way to transfer it to your vita, if you try connecting to another account you get an error message telling you to only sync with the account you have on the vita.

You can not use Everybody Golfs online pass as it sees Hotshots Golf as a different game.

So a game which has online as integral part (and I love the way they promote international competition on this game) but its completely paralyzed if you are not in that region.

So bare that in mind going forward if you decide to import a game, that it may be gimped because of Sonys decision to restrict the PS Vita to using one account, and the online features are not region free.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:14 AM   #150
jwm2
macrumors regular

Quote:
More things folks should be aware of. Whilst the cartridges technically are region free, because of online passes and such they no longer are.

I bought Hot Shots Golf from videogamesplus.ca

Sadly I can not get online features to work in Europe because the online pass will not download on a European PSN account.

Whilst you can sign into a USA account on your PS3 and download the pass. There is no way to transfer it to your vita, if you try connecting to another account you get an error message telling you to only sync with the account you have on the vita.

You can not use Everybody Golfs online pass as it sees Hotshots Golf as a different game.

So a game which has online as integral part (and I love the way they promote international competition on this game) but its completely paralyzed if you are not in that region.

So bare that in mind going forward if you decide to import a game, that it may be gimped because of Sonys decision to restrict the PS Vita to using one account, and the online features are not region free.
I can understand that. Probably due to lag mostly. Thanks for the heads up though. Still on the fence about this machine. I feel burned from the PSP still, and i rarely ever fire up my ps3 these days. I may just hold off and go for the iPad 3 when it comes out instead, not sure. I should buy one, i can write it off as a business expense, but i have too many useless handhelds laying around collecting dust :/

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games