Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:23 AM   #76
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinci99 View Post
Didn't T-Mobile spokesperson said a few months back (when iPhone4S launched) that it would be fine without the 4S because it was offering a compelling line of Android phones which are as good as or superior to the iPhone?

=/
Yep, also they touted their 4G with that Pink Girl, however it is only 3G enhanced, they NEVER had 4G and they will not due to their Frequency.

Taps for T-Mobile, unless the DOJ lets AT&T get them, as it doesn't make sense for VZ or Sprint to suck them up as they have different types of services.

I think at some point there will only be VZ and AT&T, as it makes sense for Sprint to go with VZ and T-Mobile to go with AT&T, the little guys will not survive anyway.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:25 AM   #77
ethana
Banned

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7
welcome to 2009, US customers. I've had 50Mb/5Mb service for more than 2 years already.

lol

from wiki:

The world's first publicly available LTE service was opened in the two Scandinavian capitals Stockholm (Ericsson and Nokia Siemens Networks systems) and Oslo (a Huawei system) on 14 December 2009.
LOL. Your country is smaller than my state.

Look at a map and see how big the USA is and how many people are in it. Then come back with is different excuse.

Last edited by ethana; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
ethana is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:27 AM   #78
marcusj0015
Banned

Yes, it's true.

when EVERYONE else has the iPhone, it's clearly not service that's being compared.
marcusj0015 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:39 AM   #79
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

you guys proclaiming t-mobile dead are silly.

They got $3 billion in cash and $3billion in radio spectrum from ATT as part of the deal kill terms. they are fine, but a year behind.

maybe this will help them out in building their network this year. also. Apple ought to give them the iphone to sell , it is stupid not to and anti-competitive.

I would use t-mobile if i could, with ATT killing unlimited data, no reason for me to not swap over to them and save some money.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:40 AM   #80
SatManager
macrumors Demi-God

Amazingly, what I am reading is a desire for a nationwide network. There is a simple way that could occur. The federal government could allow a monopoly, with the requirement to provide true nationwide service. As a monopoly, the government would place price controls on the carrier and only allow a certain level of profit. We could call it AT&T just like in the old days. So be careful what you wish for.
SatManager is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:44 AM   #81
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

T-Mobiles ads where they claim they are the "largest 4G network in America" drive me CRAZY. HSPA+ is not 4G so shut up.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:48 AM   #82
gkarris
macrumors 604

Had to call Customer Service twice and got nothing but stellar service. Great coverage in Chicago.

A couple of friends had to call AT&T Wireless Customer Service, and after getting transferred a few times, their issues weren't even resolved...

T-Mobile needs the next round of iPhones (8 Gig 4S for $99 and the iPhone 5) and they'll be getting a lot of customers back...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:58 AM   #83
MacIke
macrumors regular

Love T-Mobile . . . but . . .

T-Mobile has been really good to me for the last 6 years. Good rates, decent phones, great customer service, not ATT and nothing to really complain about except . . .

no iPhones.

So when my plan is up in another month or so, I am moving to Verizon.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #84
vvswarup
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
Perfect time for Google to swoop in and buy T-Mobile cheap. I still think they are the only ones that have the clout and resources to disrupt the status quo among cell carriers and start pushing innovation. They have the potential to turn the current system on its head with higher bandwidth and cheaper plans. Bring on G-Mobile!!
Google can't just "swoop in and buy" T-Mobile on the cheap. First of all, AT&T paid $39 billion to buy T-Mobile. I'd imagine Google would have to shell out a similar sum. That's not a small amount.

Also, T-Mobile is a different kind of beast. It's a telecom, which comes with mountains of regulation.
vvswarup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:02 PM   #85
TypeEE
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredly View Post
I want even one step further than that. I just want WIFI to be expanded. It is clearly the fastest way of getting online. Why not just get rid of 3g 4g 5g etc. and get wifi everywhere. Make calls and surf the web over wifi. I dont understand why phone companies wont do this. Maybe one day our government will provide everybody in the country with wifi (yes I know that would make people nervous because then the government would know where you are all the time).

NYC already provides wifi in its parks so why not just expand that? Just my wishful thinking I guess.
Wifi technology doesn't do any handoffs between towers. Wouldn't that alone is a huge problem?
TypeEE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:04 PM   #86
Bwinski
macrumors member

Gasping for reality...

Let's look back, in the not so distant time-travel device called Google Search... THIS quarters numbers AND last quarters LOSS OF CUSTOMERS is EXACTLY the same number (close).... SO, if they stay on a trajectory like this, they'll be OUT OF CUSTOMERS soon... HA!

Given that T-Mumble has the WORST MARKETING ORGANIZATION on Earth and the WORST CMO in the history of mankind - still, maybe that's the strategy!!! Kill it all and start over??

These people are morons if they think Apple is going to lift a single finger to help them unless it's to purchase their spectrum at garbage dump prices and scrap the rest...

CLUE FREE...
Bwinski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:05 PM   #87
tjwaido
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to tjwaido Send a message via MSN to tjwaido Send a message via Skype™ to tjwaido
I was part of the problem. Bye bye T-Mobile. Hello Verizon and the iPhone 4s!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:05 PM   #88
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
excuses excuses.

I blame that Catherine Zeta Jones wannabe. She's unbearable and bowlegged. Get the Zeta back!!
I think Carly Foulkes has done a fine job for T-Mobile. She's even getting a role in a new made-for-TV movie ("Powers") out of the whole ad campaign.
BC2009 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:05 PM   #89
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
welcome to 2009, US customers. I've had 50Mb/5Mb service for more than 2 years already.

lol

from wiki:

The world's first publicly available LTE service was opened in the two Scandinavian capitals Stockholm (Ericsson and Nokia Siemens Networks systems) and Oslo (a Huawei system) on 14 December 2009.
This guy thinks that people actually use T-Mobile. Did you even read the article? They're losing hundreds of thousands of customers every month to companies like Verizon, who had LTE up and running in the US in 2010. WAY behind you guys
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #90
rnizlek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
you avoid the month fees, by "paying as you go" and taper usage to the amount of money you want to spend.

paying a contract-locked monthly fee is ridiculous
I guess I'm not familiar with such plans. Primarily I use data, I don't use a lot of voice minutes. My data usage, even with tethering, is always well under 2 GB a month and 90% under 1 GB. So I do taper usage, I just am not at all familiar with any prepaid plan that would save me money and provide nation-wide calling coverage.

Would you be able to give me an example of a nationwide carrier that offers such plans?
rnizlek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:08 PM   #91
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-One View Post
Too sad. I liked their service but I switched for the same reason when Verizon started the iPhone. T-Mobile had better contract conditions even though their 3G network was a little thin in rural areas.

In the long run, I think we need T-Mobile on the US market as a competitor. Their service was one of the best I've seen so far. I have a Sprint work phone, a Verizon iPhone and my wife has a AT&T iPhone (had U.S. Cellular before - worst of all). So, I have some experience with the other major players. T-Mobile has the best plan for the buck and coverage - in my opinion.
Agree.

Waited until 4S came out. No iPhone. Left.

I used my Romney tactic and FIRED T-mo, becuase I like to do that!

Last edited by PracticalMac; Feb 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
PracticalMac is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:09 PM   #92
NIKKG
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvswarup View Post
Google can't just "swoop in and buy" T-Mobile on the cheap. First of all, AT&T paid $39 billion to buy T-Mobile. I'd imagine Google would have to shell out a similar sum. That's not a small amount.

Also, T-Mobile is a different kind of beast. It's a telecom, which comes with mountains of regulation.
Trust me, Google got the money to do it just like they bought out Motorola. Either Google or Apple would be a good fit to buy out T-Mo.
NIKKG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:11 PM   #93
acozilla
macrumors newbie

This just screams poor management at T-Mobile. Time for investors to pull out and watch it die.
acozilla is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:12 PM   #94
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux2mac View Post
Yup.

T-Mobile: Sorry, but we're not getting the iPhone
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-201...ng-the-iphone/

"T-Mobile Chief Marketing Officer Cole Brodman posted a letter to customers on the company's blog yesterday, saying that while he would love to carry the iPhone, the company is currently focusing on 'the best that Android has to offer.'"

ROFLMAO!

of course you would leave out this paragraph

Quote:
We've heard from many customers who love their T-Mobile service, but are disappointed that we don't carry the iPhone. To these customers, first, thank you for your business. Please know that we think the iPhone is a great device and Apple knows that we'd like to add it to our line-up. Today, there are over a million T-Mobile customers using unlocked iPhones on our network. We are interested in offering all of our customers a no-compromise iPhone experience on our network.
uknowimright is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:14 PM   #95
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
I would switch to T-Mobile if they did allowed an proper unlock after the 2 years.

seriously, why doesn't any US carrier do this? I would even take a lesser subsidy for this.
T-Mobile will generally unlock your phone after 6 months, as long as your account is in good standing. (They will sometimes do this even sooner, if you are travelling internationally).
cmwade77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:14 PM   #96
acidfast7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethana View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B5141a Safari/7534.48.3)

LOL. Your country is smaller than my state.

Look at a map and see how big the USA is and how many people are in it. Then come back with is different excuse.
lol

don't live in a second-world craphole.

problem solved.
acidfast7 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:17 PM   #97
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatManager View Post
Amazingly, what I am reading is a desire for a nationwide network. There is a simple way that could occur. The federal government could allow a monopoly, with the requirement to provide true nationwide service. As a monopoly, the government would place price controls on the carrier and only allow a certain level of profit. We could call it AT&T just like in the old days. So be careful what you wish for.
No, I don't want a nationwide phone network, I was simply saying that a nationwide WiMax network would potentially allow users to get away from Cell Phone companies all together.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:18 PM   #98
Greg.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmann View Post
I'm a T-mobile customer. I even just ditched my first generation iPhone (which I got for free for working at Apple) in favor of an HTC MyTouch 4G. Compared to my old iPhone it is much better of course. Compared to my experience with the iPhone 4S there are some things better and some things worse. Overall I say the iPhone 4S is superior.

But beat this. I paid $200 for my phone (including 32 GB SD card). I pay $50 a month for Unlimited Talk, Text, and Web (first 2 GB at high speed). I have yet to come near the 2 GB mark before my data gets throttled. So for 2 years I spend $1,400. I compare an AT&T plan which is the same but 3 GB and then paid for usage over that and I'm at $299 for a 32 GB iPhone and $119 a month for a total of $3,155. Every 2 years I'm can buy something like a 27" iMac with the left over $1,755!

I'd rather have an iPhone than a MyTouch but I'd rather have a MyTouch and a 27" iMac (or grocery money) than just an iPhone.

Only one time in the last 10 plus years was I in a situation where a Verizon customer had coverage and I did not.

I think all carriers should be at the price point T-Mobile is at. People I think you are paying too much for your phone and coverage. No wonder we in america are struggling financially.
I pay equivalent to $15.70 for 250 minutes a month, unlimited texts and truly unlimited data (I've used 19.7GB in 2012 so far!), which I can cancel whenever I want. Seems the UK is a lot more competitive with carriers than the US, but I guess the size of the US leads itself to a more monopolistic market.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 PM   #99
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowimright View Post
of course you would leave out this paragraph
Quote:
We've heard from many customers who love their T-Mobile service, but are disappointed that we don't carry the iPhone. To these customers, first, thank you for your business. Please know that we think the iPhone is a great device and Apple knows that we'd like to add it to our line-up. Today, there are over a million T-Mobile customers using unlocked iPhones on our network. We are interested in offering all of our customers a no-compromise iPhone experience on our network.
One reason I left T-Mo is they did not support iPhone enough.

Really poor support.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:21 PM   #100
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
We're #4. We try harder.
Actually, as far as customer service and price, they are #1, give them the iPhone and they will be deadly to all other services out there. (Maybe this is why Apple doesn't want to do so, I don't know).

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion