Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is acquiring three-year old startup Chomp and plans to use the company's technology and expertise to improve the App Store's search and app discovery technology, according to a report from TechCrunch.

chomplogo.jpg

We first covered Chomp in November 2009 to announce their seed funding. Since then, they've grown their scope to include not only iPhone apps, but Android apps as well. In fact, Chomp currently has a deal with Verizon to power all of their Android-based app searches. That relationship, obviously, is going to get a bit awkward with this acquisition.

My understanding is that such deals will remain intact for now but are likely to end once the Chomp team and product transitions over to Apple. The same is likely true for Chomp's stand-alone products.
The terms of the deal haven't been disclosed, but TechCrunch reports that the deal isn't merely about talent -- Apple wants Chomp's technology as well. Chomp has raised more than $2.5 million in funding and apparently all investors are very pleased with the outcome. Chomp's 20 or so employees are reportedly all headed for Apple.

Apple generally prefers to make small to medium size acquisitions of talent and technology, rather than spending huge sums of its $100 billion cash hoard. Earlier this year, Apple paid some $390 million to acquire Israeli flash memory firm Anobit.

Update: Apple has confirmed the purchase to AllThingsD.

Update 2: Apple "paid about $50 million" for Chomp, according to Bloomberg.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Chomp to Recreate App Store Search and Discovery [Update: Paid About $50 Million]

ultravioletfly

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
never even heard of Chomp until now. Pretty slick site. I'd been using Appshopper before, as they track the history of app prices.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
So Chomp has about 20 employees, or their employees are all 20-somethings?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
so this is a two fold buy.

help apple and take away a bit from android.

win win

sorry for the formatting/spelling. This touchpad sux

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The developer in me says: If this makes me more money, I'm all for it.

The consumer in me says: Great! I might actually find the app I want more often!

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

must be more than meets (the apple of our) eye!!!

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

So how much did Apple pay?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple's quite progressive in their acquisitions: going after fresh, innovative startups. It's all a part of their overall attitude to tech.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
chomp... somehow i feel the hunger for some sweets when i read this :)

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Man, I hope so. The App Store is hands-down the most poorly-designed app on my iPad. They've made a few incremental improvements over the past year, but it is desperate need of a rehaul. The only real way to find something that isn't currently featured, brand-new, or a best-seller is to google or ask on forums what others use. Discovering new apps that actually meet your needs in the actual app store is next to impossible.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
$50 mil for app search site? Am I missing something here?

I agree.

The strength of the site seems to be the search algorithms, but $50 million? Seriously?

The Ashton Kutcher connection probably helped with the acquisition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.