Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Readying Miniaturized Dock Connector for Future iPhones?

iMore claims that Apple may be transitioning away from the standard 30-pin dock connector to something more compact in the very near future.
Quote:
An updated "micro dock" could make room for bigger batteries, 4G radios, and other components far more important to the iPhone and iPad in a PC free world.
As the site points out, Apple has worked hard to miniaturize other components in their iOS devices. Apple was one of the first to adopt the micro-SIM and has even proposed an even smaller SIM card design so they could make even thinner designs.

As iMore points out, the current dock connector isn't huge, but as devices continue to get smaller and thinner, every little bit counts.

Moving away from such a ubiquitous connector, however, would be walking away from an enormous ecosystem of existing 3rd party products. Still, Apple's constant desire to make smaller/thinner designs will naturally put pressure on the size of all their components. Apple's recent move to PC-free computing with iCloud syncing may have also diminished the importance of the dock connector.

We reached out to iMore's Editor-in-Chief Rene Ritchie who said that the report came from a "solid source". iMore also made headlines recently by predicting the date for the iPad 3 launch, which is believed to be accurate.

Article Link: Apple Readying Miniaturized Dock Connector for Future iPhones?
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Grimace
macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That and the European standard of micro USB plug for all smartphones (simplifying power chargers) would imply a shift away from 30pin dock connectors.

Last edited by Grimace; Feb 23, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Grimace is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Timoke6
macrumors member

Don't know whether i like this or not...
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Moving away from such a ubiquitous connector, however, would be walking away from an enormous ecosystem of existing 3rd party products. Still, Apple's constant desire to make smaller/thinner designs will naturally put pressure on the size of all their components. Apple's recent move to PC-free computing with iCloud syncing may have also diminished the importance of the dock connector.
Most likely there will be an adapter cable made by someone so people can use their existing add-ons.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Question:

Is there a point of diminishing returns with "thinner and smaller"??

No sarcasm...serious question.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
oakland6980
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That and the European standard of micro USB plug for all smartphones (simplifying power chargers) would imply a shift away from 30pin dock connectors.
I thought the EU was requiring all devices to use micro USB without a dongle. Did i misunderstand that?
oakland6980 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:53 PM   #7
zachkolk
macrumors member

Thunderbolt?

Smaller dock and Thunderbolt support? I hope so. It would greatly increase the need/want for a Thunderbolt port on your Mac and would probably get a lot of people to upgrade their Macs just for this boost in syncing speed (including me).
zachkolk is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:55 PM   #8
cmwade77
macrumors 6502

Let's move them to the MicroUSB standard that most phones are now using, even here in the U.S.
cmwade77 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:57 PM   #9
zachkolk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakland6980 View Post
I thought the EU was requiring all devices to use micro USB without a dongle. Did i misunderstand that?
Yes, you did misunderstand. Apple is currently getting by with shipping a dock to micro USB adapter with iPhone in Europe. Changing what the dock looks like, as long as they continue to supply a sufficient adapter, will keep them within the confines of the law.
zachkolk is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:57 PM   #10
FasterQuieter
macrumors member

How about an adapter that is only compatible with Thunderbolt? That'd be popular.
FasterQuieter is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Dark-Sider
macrumors newbie

Hi,

first, EU-law does not require the micro usb port to be directly on the device. An adapter (which already exists for the iphone) is sufficient.

second, I fear, that a smaller and slimmer dock connector won't be able to support the weight of the device anymore.

bye
Darky
Dark-Sider is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Aquaduck04
macrumors member

It will be a bad day, but its inevitable and might as well happen sooner rather than later. I initially felt sorry for accessory makers (obsolete inventory), but this will be a boon for them forcing people to upgrade.
Aquaduck04 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:01 PM   #13
URFloorMatt
macrumors 6502

How old is the patent on the 30-pin connector at this point? I would certainly expect them to transition away well before the patent expires, so that virtually no third parties could cash in due to the number of devices still in the wild.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:02 PM   #14
slrandall
macrumors 6502

And that's why AirPlay is so nice. No physical connection required.
slrandall is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:04 PM   #15
chriscrk
macrumors 6502

Hopefully, in a not-so-far future, they'll remove the cable all together.
chriscrk is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:05 PM   #16
mKizzo
macrumors member

I thought the future is clear on this: wireless sync
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
mrfoof82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKizzo View Post
I thought the future is clear on this: wireless sync
The dock connector is used to charge the phone as well. You can't wirelessly sync a device that has no battery power. Additionally, wireless sync activates by default when it detects a power input.

It's not just a "dock" connector, it's power.
mrfoof82 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:11 PM   #18
dcanona
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple was one of the first to adopt the micro-SIM and has even proposed an even smaller SIM card design so they could make even thinner designs.
Smaller than what it already is?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:12 PM   #19
jeznav
macrumors 6502

Smaller dock, fewer pins, peripheral compromise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Let's move them to the MicroUSB standard that most phones are now using, even here in the U.S.

The 30-pin dock currently carries power, usb data, line-audio, video, and serial. These peripherals still matter if you want connectivity to other devices.

But then again, Apple already has alternative to having audio/video–via Airplay and BT audio–they could simplify the dock by having few pins. Or they can opt a protocol agnostic port like thunderbolt.
jeznav is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:12 PM   #20
bpaluzzi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
Hi,

first, EU-law does not require the micro usb port to be directly on the device. An adapter (which already exists for the iphone) is sufficient.

second, I fear, that a smaller and slimmer dock connector won't be able to support the weight of the device anymore.

bye
Darky
It doesn't require a dongle, either. A proprietary cable that terminates in a USB-A plug (e.g., the current iPhone dock cable) meets the requirements. Absolutely nothing (not a single thing) needs to change for Apple to be 100% in compliance.

Last edited by bpaluzzi; Feb 23, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
bpaluzzi is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:14 PM   #21
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Taken from 9to5Mac's article:

Quote:
iMore says Thunderbolt is unlikely due to lack of architecture support, and the report says micro-USB is out of the question because of its slow data transfer speeds. The report hints that the iPhone 5 may be Apple’s first iOS device to use the new connector, and a WSJ report from last year said that the 2012 iPhone would sport a new way of charging.
pgiguere1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:14 PM   #22
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
And that's why AirPlay is so nice. No physical connection required.
how does on charge?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:15 PM   #23
oakland6980
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
Hopefully, in a not-so-far future, they'll remove the cable all together.
How to charge?

nductive charging i guess. but i dont want to have to use a special case to charge. So i guess its up to Apple to make a inductive chargeable back plate.

any other ideas?
oakland6980 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:16 PM   #24
ixodes
macrumors 601

It's a few years overdue, better late than never. A big ugly relic finally redesigned. I knew Apple had the confidence to pull it off.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:17 PM   #25
faroZ06
Banned

Add Firewire support!
Otherwise, this is a stupid change. The iPod touch is thin enough, and it supports the current dock connector.

I can't imagine even wanting anything thinner than an iPod touch, especially not at the cost of losing my accessories.
faroZ06 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion