Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #26
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wireless charging?

Maybe kinetic charging like certain watches?
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #27
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKizzo View Post
I thought the future is clear on this: wireless sync
Airplay is great, and so is wireless sync......but what about charging?

My toothbrush now uses a conductve charging mech in which i just lay it in a cradle without connections, and it just charges....
I cant imagine anything preventing the same type of conductive technology n the iPhone.

At that point, just use some sealant for the earphe jack and mic, and you have a seamless waterproof iPhone)))) 2 glass panels and steel band, completely sealed off ))
vartanarsen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #28
nagromme
macrumors G5

Lack of backwards accessory compatibility—even if adapters are available—is a problem.

And one that’s going to happen someday anyway—we can’t expect the same connector forever. That connector has been around since April 2003... nine years!

So whatever replaces it (to last another 9 years I hope)... small is good!

FWIW, I thought I read somewhere that Thunderbolt is not currently possible on iPad/iPhone because of the lack of PCI Express architecture. Don’t quote me...

Still, Thunderbolt can adapt to many purposes, and Apple might offer dock cables with Thunderbolt on the computer end. (I don’t see that being standard, though: USB will remain the standard bundled cable-end for now because everyone has it.) Anyway, while Thunderbolt speed would be nice for especially large syncs/restores, I find that in more ordinary use syncs are smaller, and therefore pretty fast (after iOS 5 especially) over USB. And of course it can all be wireless now.
nagromme is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #29
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Question:

Is there a point of diminishing returns with "thinner and smaller"??

No sarcasm...serious question.
I think the article is right and this is more about "more with less"
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:19 PM   #30
syan48306
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakland6980 View Post
How to charge?

nductive charging i guess. but i dont want to have to use a special case to charge. So i guess its up to Apple to make a inductive chargeable back plate.

any other ideas?
Just look at the palm pre. That phone was designed to be charged inductively without any attachments.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:21 PM   #31
Shadyriley
macrumors 6502

It's gonna come with a Matt you just set the phone on. iPhone 5 is gonna e epic. QuaD Core, 12 megapixel camera, NFC, LTE, inductive charging
Shadyriley is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:22 PM   #32
greasemuntney
macrumors newbie

The problem most have not thought about is if Apple does ONLY make it a charge only connection then JB-ing will be almost impossible. That would make for a different issue. I would love to see a Mag-Safe small connection but hope they keep it data transferable and not only a charge only connection.

Just my 2. But something to think about.
greasemuntney is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:23 PM   #33
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
It's a few years overdue, better late than never. A big ugly relic finally redesigned. I knew Apple had the confidence to pull it off.
It's not really big and ugly. The new ones are very thin, especially compared to the old ones that have clips.
faroZ06 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:23 PM   #34
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Had iDevices since iPod Day 1. I think this was the original, but I'm not sure: I remember no other connector. It's about time to change, and if they could make a micro connector, I'd be happy. Bring on better design.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoof82 View Post
The dock connector is used to charge the phone as well. You can't wirelessly sync a device that has no battery power. Additionally, wireless sync activates by default when it detects a power input.

It's not just a "dock" connector, it's power.
Unless Apple adopted inductive charging.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:25 PM   #36
faroZ06
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
Had iDevices since iPod Day 1. I think this was the original, but I'm not sure: I remember no other connector. It's about time to change, and if they could make a micro connector, I'd be happy. Bring on better design.
Well, they did have the FireWire connectors that can only charge newer devices but cannot sync. That was actually a lot better because you got FireWire speed, not stupid USB.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #37
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan88 View Post
how does on charge?
I mean, they'll still ship a cable that does that ...
slrandall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:27 PM   #38
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Let's move them to the MicroUSB standard that most phones are now using, even here in the U.S.
Yes please. It won't happen because Apple wants to keep its accessory ecosystem and be able to keep the $ rolling in, but wouldn't it be nice...
longofest is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:28 PM   #39
faroZ06
Banned

post deleted
faroZ06 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:32 PM   #40
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Add Firewire support!
Get back 10 years!

pgiguere1 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:33 PM   #41
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

"We know that ever since the original iPhone came to be a very enormous problem has struck the minds of consumers. People put the dock a phone uses as the very first perspective. So what have we done to fix it? Well. We've gotten rid of the dock! And who wants a dock? You have to plug them in and take them out, yuke! So we're going to use something that we are all born to acknowledge. Gravity. With iPhone 5 you can just.. *Awkward positioning*.. Just put the device right down on this rubber pad. Not only does this pad charge the device from its four well concealed charging points, but it also starts an automatic sync with your Macintosh or Windows PC. It's beautiful."

A little scenario I thought of.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:33 PM   #42
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That and the European standard of micro USB plug for all smartphones (simplifying power chargers) would imply a shift away from 30pin dock connectors.
Apple already compelled with that:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099?mco=MjU5MjAwODM
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:34 PM   #43
Nielsenius
macrumors 6502a

There really needs to be an update to the way we charge and transfer data to and from our iPhones. It would be awesome if Apple added Thunderbolt support this summer!
Nielsenius is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:35 PM   #44
ixodes
macrumors 601

If Apple applies themselves, the new connector can be quite sleek, nice looking & still proprietary.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:35 PM   #45
jayhawk11
macrumors 6502a

For the love of god, they aren't going to add Thunderbolt any time soon. The flash memory maxes itself out on a USB cable. Thunderbolt is overkill.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:38 PM   #46
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Bring on a MiniMagDock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longofest View Post
Yes please. It won't happen because Apple wants to keep its accessory ecosystem and be able to keep the $ rolling in, but wouldn't it be nice...
Apple could just charge for the works with Airplay DRM chip that still all the accessory maker would need to buy with no direct Audio/Video lines.

Last edited by MattInOz; Feb 23, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
MattInOz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:41 PM   #47
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

With wireless sync and future wireless charging abilities built-in, you'd think Apple would do away with the 30pin dock all together.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:41 PM   #48
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Well, they did have the FireWire connectors that can only charge newer devices but cannot sync. That was actually a lot better because you got FireWire speed, not stupid USB.
That's right! I forgot about the old FW. And you are right: I remember the joy of transfer with FW compared to the next phase of connector which was so slow. However, I switched from the "classic" form to the Nano soon after and then it wasn't a problem.

If someone has 20GB+ to transfer with these USB connectors, it must be hellish. Since the new style connector I tend to use iDevices with the minimum storage... and now I remember one reason why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Get back 10 years!

There it is. That brings back good memories. I kinda miss the old iPod. Those hard drives tended to freeze and thus die after exactly 2 years. Had 3 that did the freeze and I never got another with mechanical drive inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
With wireless sync and future wireless charging abilities built-in, you'd think Apple would do away with the 30pin dock all together.
That would be excellent for the lower end devices like Shuffle and Nano and possibly the smaller iPT/iPhones, but I think wireless would be a hassle for larger devices. I't the perfect idea for Shuffle and Nano, though. It would be magical to wander the house and have the devices update without ever needing prompt or plug.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:42 PM   #49
dokujaryu
macrumors 6502

I'm very excited about a new direction with charging and cables. I'd like to see some way to charge by traditional means so that products like the juice pack can continue to be produced. Also, I'm going to be kinda annoyed if every accessory requires bluetooth unless they double or tripple the battery life.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:45 PM   #50
toddybody

It's easy for someone like me to welcome the dock change with open arms...but Im sure many folks have spent some good coin on doc-station devices.

Anyways, given the current speaker design and how minimal the doc is...how much space could they really save?
toddybody is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion