Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have an iPod classic (latest version). My library is oven 9000 tracks. Whenever I sync my iPod there always seems to be 382 tracks that it wants to copy back to the iPod, even when I have just synced, unplug and re sync it then copies 382 songs again. I have tried resetting the iPod by pressing the centre button and menu at the same time and also checked all the artwork shows in my iTunes library, with so many songs I don't really want to restore my iPod to new on my Mac. It's just a niggle really.

Any advice would be welcome.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I want to know the answer to this too please. This happens on my iPhone. I have less total tracks (2000-ish) and the number that it re-copies is less but the symptoms are the same.

Enlighten us MacRumors!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Is it the same 382 tracks each time? I'm guessing it is. With that assumption, do these 382 tracks have something in common with each other, but are somehow unique compared to the other 8600 tracks?

If it only happened once, I could chaulk it up to you having changed a rating, or some metadata on those files. But since it happens every time, I'd have to think it's something else.

Perhaps you have some sort of Applescript that is affecting those 382 tracks and it's changing something on the file so that it has to resync everytime.

ft

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Is it the same 382 tracks each time? I'm guessing it is. With that assumption, do these 382 tracks have something in common with each other, but are somehow unique compared to the other 8600 tracks?

If it only happened once, I could chaulk it up to you having changed a rating, or some metadata on those files. But since it happens every time, I'd have to think it's something else.

Perhaps you have some sort of Applescript that is affecting those 382 tracks and it's changing something on the file so that it has to resync everytime.

ft

Thank you for your reply, They seem to be the same 382 tracks, I don't know how to check for sure, but the same songs seem to be coming up when copying on the sync, must admit that I am racking my brains. As i have said before, it doesn't affect playback and as I only sync when I add more tracks it is not that much of an issue, just annoying really.

Thank you very much for your help though.:D

Edit: Just synced my other iPod classic, same thing, so must be in iTunes somewhere rather than the Pod.

Last edited:

phairphan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Reject Beach
In addition to ftaok's approach (which is where I'd start), you might also want to look at your smart playlists. While I can't think of any playlist conditions which would cause iTunes to erase and then reload these tracks, perhaps there are some. Do you have any smart playlists which contain these 382 tracks?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
In addition to ftaok's approach (which is where I'd start), you might also want to look at your smart playlists. While I can't think of any playlist conditions which would cause iTunes to erase and then reload these tracks, perhaps there are some. Do you have any smart playlists which contain these 382 tracks?

Thank you very much for your help, I checked all the smart playlists to see if there was a list for 382 or even a combination thereof, no luck. It's has me stumped, but I do very much appreciate your help. Thank you.:D

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Another good tip I tell people is to always have your iPod set to manually manage your songs this helps to prevent things like this from happening and also helps from the iPod ever deleting all your music and trying to reloading itself which can be a pain (especially if not everything is in your iTunes library like me where I store most of my music on an external hard drive because I have way to much music lol) This also helps if you ever want to grab music from a friends iTunes library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.